I try to avoid "Kushner Drama," but according to this, Vornado may selling their interest back to the Kushners while keeping ownership of the retail and the Kushners won't be tearing down the building to build something new and are generally unclear about what to do next. They might be in financial straits because of it.

Would this be a big story if it wasn't for Kushner?

Commercial Real Estate Developer

I'm not fascinated because it's Kushner per se, but rather that he did this deal at such a young age (yes it's daddy's money but still daddy let him do it!!!) Albeit it is not going as well as they have planned he's finessed it to some degree so far. This Colombia GSB case study gives a really detailed look at the ever-evolving capital structure of 666 5th Avenue:

http://www.cacq.com/images/site_images/666%20Fifth%20Ave_Case%20Study.p…

I had a flair for languages. But I soon discovered that what talks best is dollars, dinars, drachmas, rubles, rupees and pounds fucking sterling.

The problem is that case study is 5 years old. In the five years since, the building hasn't performed and all the plans to reposition it have fallen through, because the Kushner's overpaid for an asset that wasn't worth as much as they thought. Moreover, they've now sold off all the value.

The case study cited doesn't say it in as many words, but it's clear the play was a repositioning, with a sale of the undervalued retail spaces as a Plan B to keep the building afloat and limit their exposure for as long as possible. Well, they did that, and it got them through the crisis, but now they're staring down the barrel of a building they can't sell and can't afford to reposition.

Best Response

Even at the time of the purchase the building was dated, the ceilings were low, and the floorplan was not ideal for modern office users. They've cannibalized all they can from it by selling the retail and half the office, but they still have the overhang of half of the $1.4B in debt that matures in early 2019.

Steve Roth said they have a handshake agreement to sell their interest to Kushner - on the surface that makes sense as it would probably be Kushner assuming Vornado's half of the debt. The thing that made no sense is that Roth claimed the entire debt would be repaid and Vornado would make a "mezzanine" level return on their invested cash (~$80M). The deal then is predicated on someone coming in and taking out the entire debt and refinancing, which is weird because the building is almost certainly not worth the mortgage.

There's a question of how much this actually hurts the Kushner family given the opacity of how much they have in the building. My guess is that their overall equity investment isn't that high, though again who really knows.

Lana? Lannaa???? LANA!!!!!!!!!?!?!?! See my WSO Blog | See my WSO interview

Consectetur quidem cupiditate et at. Vel consequatur est qui placeat. Eos dignissimos alias consequatur minus necessitatibus minima. Animi velit est magnam dolores. Voluptatem ducimus qui ratione ut expedita ipsa earum.

Delectus libero architecto laudantium et recusandae. In ex modi et vel. Voluptas et hic deleniti ut unde eligendi sit. Natus inventore cumque ipsa est. Explicabo perspiciatis culpa doloribus nostrum.

Sint labore esse excepturi alias. Maiores ut sed et dolorem. Labore nesciunt nostrum itaque culpa a hic modi quos.

Iste et non rerum qui incidunt. Odio nihil ab ex qui velit commodi pariatur.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”