Advice needed: Corporate Development (F500) to MBA

AriGold93's picture

Context: I currently work in firm/corporate strategy at a top BB (GS/MS) and deciding between multiple Corporate Development role offers at F500 financial services firms (think Paypal/Visa/Square).

My long term goal is to apply to a top-10 b-school after working in corporate development for at least 1-2 years.

Question: Is this a fruitful MBA strategy? Should I remain at my current role which is at a prestigious firm but is a more business development focused role and then apply, or switch to this corporate development associate role at a less "gold-plated" firm (still F500) but is a more M&A focused, higher-paying role and apply?

Which of those options makes me a more competitive candidate for a school like Wharton/Booth? I have not seen much discussion on this site regarding the Corporate Development --> MBA trajectory, so I appreciate the help.

Financial Modeling Course

• Get An Edge For Your Interviews & Finance Career
  • The Best (and Most Affordable) Financial Modeling Self-study Courses.
  • WSO Members receive a 15% discount

Comments (3)

Feb 5, 2019

I'm not an MBA student nor an adcom...

If you're not happy, move. You'll put more energy into the job and thus probably kill it. If an adcom can't read your resume and understand the move, then they are n idiot. You obviously are a smart guy/gal to work at a top BB. Don't stress the small stuff. Go get paid and have fun at your MBA!

Feb 5, 2019

It seems like you have impressive opportunities before you in either route. Frankly, I would recommend the company and role that you think will give you the most satisfaction because from an admission perspective they are both highly competitive.

From purely an admissions perspective, I would recommend the job that would allow you to have the greatest impact/opportunities for leadership. Based only on what you wrote, I suspect that would be the corporate development role, because you will be implementing while in the strategy role you are in more of an advisory capacity. However, you are the best judge of potential impact.

Linda Abraham
President, Accepted | Contact Me | Admissions Consulting

Feb 8, 2019