Applying for Sophomore Summer 2019 Internship

For whatever reason, I thought I had more time to apply for an internship for next summer, but I'm realizing that I've definitely put this whole process off too long at this point. I'm a rising sophomore at a top target school with a 3.92 GPA, a member of the most selective investment club in my school, Hispanic (if that helps at all), and am currently doing an accounting internship for a small company.

What are my options/chances like at this point if I want to get some experience in IB next summer? I know a lot of internships are still open for applications, but the apparently super-early recruiting schedule has me freaked out. I would really appreciate any and all advice you guys have!

Most Helpful

Medium to high. 1) Buy and read the WSO guides for technical and behavioral questions 2) Buy and read the Rosenbaum and Pearl "Investment Banking" book 3) Refine resume until flawless 4) Draft outstanding cover email 5) Start blasting and applying to all open positions 6) Don't forget to leverage your network / relationships for higher touch interactions - you'll have a higher hit rate there

These might be helpful:

https://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/thank-you-broke-in

https://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/double-break-in-thanks-wso

Happy hunting.

Hey man. I'm thinking of getting the WSO IB interview guide for behavioral questions (for a Big 4 internship) - without giving away the actual content of the program, could you elaborate on what it contains? Like, is it legitimately 127 questions with pre-scripted answers you can just copy and paste?

In my opinion, it was definitely worth it for banking, and I'm sure it can be leverageable for Big 4 interviews as well. It's essentially every behavioral question that can be asked, along with bullets to guide through how to think about and answer the questions based on your own personal experiences.

In a similar spot, rising sophomore w 3.8 at semi-target w a PE internship this summer. What I have been doing is using linkedin to find alums from my school at smaller boutiques/finding boutique i banks that have sophomore SAs and reaching out and trying to get into their recruiting timelines. For pretty much every boutique ive talked to that allows sophomores, they haven't even started their process yet.

Can't really give too much insight about BBs. I personally have put little effort towards a BB internship for next summer just because they are so hard to come by as a sophomore if you're non-diversity. This fact obviously might be different for you, but you are definitely behind on the process and those diversity spots are still super competitive. On the bright side, from what I have attained on this site, boutique IB experience as a sophomore can set you up very nicely for a BB junior year

Hispanic is a gamechanger as you fall into diversity programs. Do a search for a long list, but from now through junior year you should apply for every diversity thing you see. Even diversity mentorships/BB conferences, etc as you can put them on your resume. You should aim for a BB (caveat that they are extremely hard to get) but even if you weren’t diversity your profile is strong for regular recruiting for a boutique/MM role as well.

Also I think sophomore recruiting is just starting so spend your last weeks of summer focusing on applying to all of that but you’re not very behind.

Array

Commodi perspiciatis officia et. Voluptatem non dolore rerum odit quia sint. Qui commodi dolor dolorum. Blanditiis voluptatem similique repudiandae ducimus cupiditate. Doloremque atque quia sunt sit laborum quasi soluta.

Molestiae quis ut officia temporibus ut. Eos cum id voluptas exercitationem corrupti. Occaecati hic quisquam iure ipsa enim. Suscipit et consectetur aut suscipit.

Et ut natus et possimus. Impedit molestias vitae incidunt minima facere. Rerum maiores error neque id. Totam rem eaque optio sed facilis at. Ratione non vitae quod quia aut nisi.

Ab facilis consequatur dolor ea. Exercitationem unde a ipsam dolores non accusantium.

To infinity... and beyond!

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”