Its a rough market for jobs these days in, especially for a 50ish ranked undergrand with 3.3 gpa. Want to do another year of work and go to top 15 business school, then mostly IBD to get into MM . Have passed CFA level 1.
Question: Stay in very boring role at media company and try to get manager level within a year to go to business school or take trade support role tojob (this bank is not as rough with pigeon holing, friend is about to make that exact jump) then B-school.
In either case I am going to be cold calling Boutique NYC IBDs to see if i can get in at analyst level for the next 6 months until I have to study for CFA level 2.
What should I do, Im at my wits end? I know this is hurting my "story" but I dont see myself getting looks at IBD no matter how well i can market the F500 work... Will Biz Schools think im a botard for switching to Trade Support? If you work at MM IBD and want to help a brother out I will not disappoint and will reward handsomely.
(Media Company) - New York, NY January 2010 - Present
Financial Planning & Analysis - Senior Analyst (Europe and Emerging Markets)
* Conduct strategic brand analysis for product lines across global markets to highlight key drivers of growth and provide initial cost/benefit analysis of continued investment. Review findings with Business Development team for preparation of Long Range Plan
* Produce variance analysis on revenue forecasts to prepare yearly budget for regional teams
* Coordinate with Legal, Sales, and the London Finance office to reconcile European and Middle Eastern partners' financials, arrange settlements, and create new agreements
* Prepared a robust analysis on 30+ Europe/Middle East partners and acted as liaison between the partners' CEOs and MTV senior management resulting in a multimillion dollar settlement agreement
* Manage and develop procedures for a team of 12 operational analysts to increase workflow efficiency and enforce SOX/GAAP compliance
(Media Company) - New York, NY February - July 2009
* Moved across various departments within the organization from Production, Development, Finance, HR, IT and assisted in ad hoc projects.
(Regional Company) - Niagara Falls, NY August - December 2008
* Performed a full reconcilement of all financials after acquisitions
* Calculated month-end accruals of income and expenses for all the company entities
* Investigated payoffs of debt restructuring and presented findings to upper management
* Built best/base/worst case valuations for an equity offering
* Developed cost cutting strategies and wrote sections of the business plan for a new venture
(Venture Capital Fund) - London, UK May - August 2007
* Performed financial analysis and due diligence for two equity purchases totaling over PS20 million
* Analyzed the investments' past financials, the 5 year future expansion strategy, market position, exclusive technology, government contracts, private development contracts, and management expertise
* Organized incoming financial and operational data into databases and presented results using daily PowerPoint presentations
* Conducted research across clean-tech industry for attractive investment opportunities