Full time 2020 Recruiting

Basel5's picture

Dear all,

I would like to evaluate my chances for a FT position at a BB in London and if a Master's program is necessary in my case.

My profile:
* BSc from TOP5 BS in German-speaking country (2:1)
* Three internships during studies (2 big four, 1 European bank), all generalist
* One internship (2019) at a tier 3 BB **BUT **with a special focus in which I do not see myself in the long run (think O&G, RE, FIG)
* Deal and modelling experience but no experience in London

My main concern is that if I apply for FT positions, I am automatically out for intern positions in 2020. Would it be too strange to aim for a return offer in another group and in another country (i.e. UK)? I want to avoid the costs for a masters (~EUR 50K) if I can.

Thank you very much!

Btw: I am asking this early since I am fully aware of the fact that some networking will be necessary.

Comments (2)

Dec 19, 2018

The internships are a good start, and regarding the 'special focus' issue, tbh you're early enough in your career that you can give them a good story in your cover letter/ interviews to explain why you'd like to pivot into something else. Regarding the lack of experience in London, I don't think that's a problem either. London banks hire lots of Europeans with no prior work experience in London so you wouldn't be alone in that regard, in fact may make you stand out a bit more if you twist it the right way.

You are right that if you apply FT you will knock yourself out of the running for a lot of internships - I think in that case you would need to see what your risk appetite is. Obviously a lot of banks hire heavily from their intern classes, so the odds of getting a full time straight in are quite low. That being said, there are a few banks (Citi in particular comes to mind) which allow applications to both summer and FT programmes simultaneously.

Overall, though, I don't think a Master's is necessary for you to get a FT offer, but an internship in London might be.

Dec 22, 2018
Comment