I've read through a few of the previous threads referencing this niche industry, and wanted to make an outreach to the community as I am not happy with what I am currently doing. I am currently seeking alternative options that align better with my personality and interest(s).
Background on me: I graduated from undergrad +/- two years ago. I've spent 14 months in commercial brokerage, and have been with a solely multifamily developer for about 9 months. Although it has been a good opportunity, I am bored and really not excited or enjoying the role. I've always been an entrepreneur prior to these roles and enjoy seeing something I envision come to life. Real estate originally attracted me because of the entrepreneurial opportunities within it.
I am currently considering going two directions.
- Trying to find a smaller developer where I have a role in the deal sourcing/process. May have to originally work my way to this through being an analyst, etc.. (Not necessarily my strong suit but I'd say I'm average)
- I've been offered an opportunity with a local luxury custom home builder/developer. This builder specializes in infill teardown deals, and has recently ventured into buying tracts of land, and acting as both the GC and developer. He currently has a 20 Unit TH development and 10 lot subdivision in development. The pay is a low, but I would be exposed to everything.
Given my entrepreneurial background, I am leaning towards the homebuilder opportunity. However, with my background in commercial, I feel this corners me to one area and will not enable me to be able to ever do commercial deals. My goal longer-term is to develop large SF and MF communities. I know these are two different beasts, but I have to start some where.
Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Private Equity Interview Course
- 2,447 questions across 203 private equity funds. Crowdsourced from over 500,000 mem.
- 9 Detailed LBO Modeling Tests and 15+ hours of video solutions.
- Trusted by over 1,000 aspiring private equity professionals just like you.