Trying to look for a job as an immigrant (23/24 y/o)

Hi everyone! First off, I'd just like to say i'm very new to this - I've been encountering this site for a while now in my Google searches and decided to give it a go seeing how often I'm drawn to reading the posts here. I'd greatly appreciate your advice and apologize if this post is rather lengthy!

I'm a recent immigrant (~6 mos) in the US, came from SEA, looking to get a role as an Analyst in Credit Risk Management. I got my degree in Applied Math from a target school in my country (grades were just about passable, since we use a 4.0 grading scale as well, it comes to about a sub 3.0 equivalence*); nonetheless, I was able to land a job in a Credit Operations role in a BB's regional HQ. After a while, I transitioned over to a Credit & Portfolio Analyst role, adding up to about 3+ years of experience combined. I had to leave my role last year since I had to move here, got my green card, and been job hunting since.

Initially, I was shortlisted for an internal transfer, but given some kerfuffle over the availability dates and their needs, it didn't pan out. Over the past few months, I've been mostly on guard for Taleo posts on vacancies, and on the side, I've also been on the lookout for any graduate level non-matriculating courses I can take so I can build an excellent local transcript to help get into graduate school, and so local management has a better metric they can judge me with given my undergrad school is not known around here. Any advice on how I should move forward?

*There were some personal and family issues that severely affected me in the last 2 years of my undergraduate study, and my performance. When I was interviewed for my first role, I told them about this and it impressed them enough how much I wanted to prove that my grade does not define me, and I got in. Leaving the firm, my ratings have always been high and I've gotten glowing recognition from regional partners, and our manager in NY.

Voluptas esse at minima incidunt eveniet non aut. Qui nulla rerum ut repellendus ut. Eos alias dicta fugit quidem. Dolores quia vel explicabo libero voluptas.

Dolorem animi iste eos impedit nam molestiae. Quis id est voluptates cumque consequatur.

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”