1/24/18

I don't plan on touching the funds I stash away in my retirement account for a long time, so I just put everything into a 2055 target date strategy, which comes out to roughly 1/3 each in large cap, small cap, and emerging markets funds.

I was wondering if you all had incorporated your views of market valuations or the general economy when deciding how to allocate your contributions.

Comments (6)

1/24/18

I don't recommend using target date funds - they're a wide blend across different investment strategies and don't adjust based on current market trends.

I recommend adjusting the specific funds you're investing in based on the current market landscape. For example, I am currently investing in:

Vanguard Institutional Index Fund (lots of blue-chip and F500s
Emerging Market Fund
A Socially Responsible Fund

1/25/18

Thanks for the feedback. I took a closer look at what went into target dates and saw the larger fees attached to some of the choices; reallocated towards a vanguard global stock market index.

Best Response
1/25/18

Target dates might even under perform a mutual fund.

Typical Market and

S&P : 11%
Mutual fund 7-8% before .5-1% fee
Target date 5-8% before .5-1.8% fee

What I works for - (may not work for you) and is available in my 401k plan
Index funds (S&P), Vanguard, Blackrock, TRowe, Fido, JPM, American Century

Mutual funds: US large cap for now,

Growth, Equity, Dividend funds.
Look at the prospects, top ten holdings, total holdings, % of top ten holdings, Dividend yield, expense ratio, turnover ratio.

I want to buy brand name companies that might be expensive to buy individually.

26 Broadway
where's your sense of humor?

1/31/18

Thanks! New allocations going to low load vanguard funds now. Global, emerging markets and small cap

1/31/18

even mix of:

-international index
-dividend stock index
-sp500 index
-US midcap index
-US small cap index

1/31/18

1-Click to Unlock All Comments - 100% FREE

Why do I need to be signed in?
WSO is a knowledge-sharing community that depends on everyone being able to pitch in when they know something.
+ Bonus: 6 Free Financial Modeling Lessons with 1-Click Signup ($199 value)