Dear XXX,

I'm not exactly sure what positions I'd be qualified for, but I wanted to reach out and see if you had any opportunities for work over the summer. I feel like my experiences in XXX classes and XXX clubs has given me XXX skills and versatility; I know your departments participate in XXX and XXX; this really piques my interest and I'd like to offer my contributions in any way I can. Thank you for the consideration.

Best regards,

XXX

Most Helpful

You could cold email as detailed above. Make sure to not sound like such a bitch though. "I'm not exactly sure what positions I'd be qualified for"... None of them, if you were qualified they would hire freshman for pennies on the dollar. Do some research, figure out what jobs you would likely be applicable for and target them. Honestly though IDK what you mean by "leaders on campus" but I'm assuming it is faculty. The only job they could pay you for is research and you definitely won't be getting 20/hr.

If the job at the Fortune500 company is even related to finance in any way I would take it. Looks good, you'll make money, and freshman experience rarely affects junior year internships (Fortune500 finance role might help for sophomore internships).

Also, about 90% of kids go home for the summer anyways. I'm sure you won't be missing out on all that much. (Also assuming the current offer is an internship it will likely only be 10 weeks, you'll have 3 or so weeks to have fun with the buddies on campus).

I think you're way too concerned with pay at this point. Most places outside of BB IB (consulting, corpfin, AM) pay their kids $20-25 an hour w/ 40hr. weeks for summer internships. Most kids treat it as screw-around spending money as it only totals to $8k-$9k after ~3 months.

Its exceedingly rare to have a F500 corp. fin. experience as a rising sophomore. It'd be hard to go wrong in taking it as it'll be a great stamp for sophomore/junior year internships. No one will expect much of you as a freshman because I doubt you've even taken more than an intro finance class or two. I assume, however, that you would be grouped in with the rising juniors/seniors though (at least in name). Most kids just go home for the summer or work at smaller firms that they have personal connections at when they're that young, you'll be miles ahead, so don't sweat it.

Stop with the comp. For a rising sophomore, getting corporate experience AND $20/he IS amazing. Most kids repeat the same job they had after high school. Some work for a family or friend of family's business for minimum wage. It's not about the money, it's about setting yourself up future internships and ultimately a full time offer. Even then, it's not about the money, but rather, how does that activate and accelerate your career. A career is a long time. The money is made way down stream.

Error aspernatur architecto dolores qui. Id quia iusto repellendus quos ea deserunt cum. Ea consequatur quis ratione sit ut consequatur maxime sed.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”