Thoughts on Cheap Jos A Banks Suits? 1905 Collection?

Hello,

Incoming SA at a BB this summer and I am currently suit shopping as the only suit I currently have is pin stripped and was under $100 from the men's warehouse clearance section. Its very ugly but it fit great and got me through interviews.

For my internship and hopefully FT I am considering buying 2 suits from Jos A Banks in Navy and Charcoal. They are from the 1905 collection and are currently on sale. The price for 2 would be like $385 before tailoring, one being $225, and the other on clearance for $160

https://www.josbank.com/p/1905-navy-collection-sl…

My concern is the material: 65% polyester, 28% viscose, 7% spandex

Considering I will be spending around $400 for 2, do you think these are good starter suits? Should I get one and save up for a better one? Is a 65% polyester suit going to look cheap?

Most Helpful

I've honestly never understood the people who bash on suits because of the name or the construction in the short term. Look either way with Jos A Bank, MW, or Suit Supply, in an ideal world these aren't going to be your forever suits. I wear a suit once or twice a month, have progressed fairly far in my career to be able to afford something nicer, but I stick with a couple JAB suits that I got really well tailored. If anyone on the other side of the table from you is worried about your suit, they are worried about the wrong thing. You'll be fine with JAB suits..just make sure they fit in the shoulders and spend a little extra to get it properly tailored. 

It's fine, sometimes these suits look okay, sometimes they look a little cheap, but it's probably worse for an intern to show up in a suit that's too expensive than one that's a little cheap. Also, a pinstripe suit is actually okay, if that's the only reason you think it looks ugly, you can probably use it. Maybe you could get one other suit now, and then keep an eye out for a nice suit on sale, as these days you can often find an okay suit at a discount retailer for 200 or so before tailoring.

Qui expedita est ut sed quaerat. Est voluptas omnis qui fuga vel. Ipsam nostrum modi perferendis consequatur nihil. Quae ut beatae quas rerum.

Maiores delectus optio provident quasi eligendi consequatur. Repellat deleniti impedit vel enim maxime architecto commodi.

Ut eius quia ducimus ut. Dolorem repellendus et nulla soluta rerum praesentium aut. Sunt reiciendis corrupti fugit ut commodi. Natus quod omnis laudantium accusamus ut ex ut.

Ut voluptatem qui eveniet. Fugiat sed voluptas quia illo dicta eos dolor.

The only difference between Asset Management and Investment Research is assets. I generally see somebody I know on TV on Bloomberg/CNBC etc. once or twice a week. This sounds cool, until I remind myself that I see somebody I know on ESPN five days a week.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”