More Records | The Daily Peel | 2/10/22

Market Snapshot

Apparently, no one cares about inflation, rate hikes, or really anything else anymore. Yesterday, markets decided to be green for a change, with big tech leading a broad bull leap. The Nasdaq stormed up 2.08% while the S&P gained 1.45% and the Dow was boosted 0.86%.

Let’s get into it.

Macro Monkey Says

U.S. Trade Deficit — Despite knowing exactly how much money they’re owed by you and all the other 330m Americans down to the penny every single year, it turns out the U.S. government isn’t the most financially responsible. 

Total Federal debt is chilling just a hair over $30.02tn, while GDP last year came in at just under $23tn. Along with that record-high GDP reading from last year came another record high, this time in the U.S. trade deficit. 

Outperforming the S&P 500, Nasdaq, Dow, Russell 2000, and many more important benchmarks in 2021 was the growth in the U.S. trade deficit. Gaining 27%, the deficit ran all the way up to a massive $859.1bn in 2021. We weren’t even aware numbers went that high. 

But, if you take a step back off the ledge for a moment, it kinda makes sense. Exports still boomed, but imports boomed wayyyyy more. In 2021, the pandemic largely caused the U.S. to pivot from the longstanding trend of higher spending on services as consumers turned their attention to goods. 

Fortunately, the U.S. produces most of the services we consume. Unfortunately, the U.S. does not produce many of the goods we consume, hence our reliance on manufactured goods from regions like China, China, and China. With pandemic-induced increased spending on goods over services, it makes sense the deficit spiked.

But what does that mean for the U.S. economy? I’m so glad you asked. No one really knows. Trade deficits, at face value, are neither inherently good nor inherently bad for an economy. When a trade shortfall occurs, a country’s economy has to cover it, generally through investments abroad or foreign investments in domestic assets. But, the link between a deficit and economic growth is about as unclear as it gets in macro. 

The main takeaway here is likely to be the increased emphasis on the need for the U.S. to domesticate crucial parts of our supply chain. Think semiconductors, pharmaceuticals, PPE, and all that others stuff we have shortages on. If anything, the deficit highlights America’s reliance on foreign nations to provide some of our most necessary goods. 

So don’t be surprised if you start hearing politicians from Joey B and AOC to Rand Paul and Mitch McConnell talking about the need to reshore crucial supply components. For once, they might actually agree on something.

More Records — I’ll admit — taking on $1tn in debt isn’t great for anyone. But hear me out. U.S. households took on more debt in 2021 than in any year since the GFC. No, please don’t freak out yet.

As you can see by the WSJ chart below, Americans have definitely gotten over their fear of debt. So much so that in 2021, we broke the $1tn mark and brought total U.S. household debt up to a cool $15.6tn. 

Cars and homes are largely to thank for that, as their massive price increases since the start of the pandemic have induced much more of a need for debt financing. But again, please don’t freak out yet. 

Consumers are, in a word, healthy. Debt delinquency rates are just about at an all-time low while JPow, Joey B, and ol’ Donnie T fattened wallets all across the land. Keep in mind consumers, while holding a ton of debt, hold right around the most cash they ever have at the same time. Moreover, 87% of newly created debt financing in 2021 is tied to home purchases, which tend to increase in value over time, thus building more wealth. 

So yeah scary number, but not super much to worry about yet. I just really hope I don’t regret saying that anytime soon.

Total household debt, quarterly

Join 110,000+ Wise Primates

Subscribe to get the most critical market moves each morning, Monday through Friday.

What’s Ripe

Chipotle Mexican Grill ($CMG) — Although Americans may have a tough time pronouncing Chipotle’s name, they sure have no problem spending money there.

Shares burst out of the gate after the company reported earnings late Tuesday, delivering earnings of $5.58/sh vs. $5.25 expected on $1.96bn in revenue, exactly in line with estimates and earning a 10.1% gain yesterday. 

Turns out higher prices, unlike at McDonald’s and Starbucks, had basically 0 impact on consumer demand. Management said price hikes were used to protect against inflation and prove that burritos might be perfectly price inelastic.

Nvidia ($NVDA) — After getting beaten down over 34% in the past few months and getting their big merger deal rejected, Nvidia needed a friend. Well, yesterday, they got that friend, and his name is Rhys Williams, CIO over at Spouting Rock Asset Management. 

Our boy Rhys announced that he had turned bullish on Nvidia after the firm had fallen so much and believes the metaverse will drive huge growth for the firm. 

Yes, that was literally it. Some positive commentary from a boutique AM sent shares on a 6.4%. Gotta love Wall Street.

What’s Rotten

CVS Health ($CVS) — Yet another instance of “good enough” in fact not being good enough. 

Everyone’s favorite drugstore delivered a beat on earnings and revenue, earning $1.98 on $76.6bn vs. $1.93 on $75.6bn expected as COVID vaccines dramatically increased store traffic, but traders weren’t happy. 

The company reiterated (as opposed to raising) 2022 earnings and sales guidance, to which Wall Street subsequently vomited. Shares lost 5.3% on the day. 

The Container Store Group ($TCS) — I’ll give you one guess as to what this company sells…Actually, regardless of what they sell, traders hated it yesterday. 

Shares cratered 23% on a garbage earnings report that revealed a 3% sales decline from the same quarter last year. Worse yet, online sales tumbled an abysmal 36% YoY, and everything from shipping to raw materials costs took a huge bite out of net income. Bad day to be a container. 

Thought Banana

Queen of Cringe — Apes, I cannot stress this enough. Watching the videos and other content I’m about to describe is the single most cringe-worthy series of eyeball abuse I have ever had the misfortune of seeing in my entire life. Oh yeah, and the subject of this content is a $4.5bn crypto thief

Heather Morgan was a YouTube rapper / BTC millionaire who worked side-by-side with her Twitter-influencer husband Ilya Liechtenstein to steal and attempt to launder 119,754 BTC, or $4.5bn! Please, oh please, do not watch Heather’s rap videos on YouTube. Don’t say I didn’t warn you, though.

Yeah, I can’t believe the sentences I just wrote either. But, nevertheless, the DOJ seized $3.6bn (94,000 BTC), marking the single largest financial seizure in the department’s history. 

The coins in question go way back to a 2016 hack of Bitfinex, which some of you crypto-vets may remember. Since then, Heather and Ilya (dream couple) have been using complex transactions and other BS to cover their tracks while spending the stolen funds. But now, the couple faces upwards of 20 years of jail time for their scumbaggery. 

Hey, at least that’ll give Heather something to rap about.

Wise Investor Says

“Thousands of experts study overbought indicators, head-and-shoulder patterns, put-call ratios, the Fed’s policy on money supply…and they can’t predict markets with any useful consistency, any more than the gizzard squeezers could tell the Roman emperors when the Huns would attack.” — Peter Lynch

Happy Investing,

Patrick & The Daily Peel Team

Was this email forwarded to you? Sign up for the WSO Daily Peel here.

ADVERTISE // WSO ALPHA // COURSES // LEGAL

Join 110,000+ Wise Primates

Subscribe to get the most critical market moves each morning, Monday through Friday.

Quod quia quia aut perspiciatis aut minima eligendi. Voluptatem voluptas cumque consequatur. Eaque ad officiis vitae.

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”