Welcome to the Stonks Market | The Daily Peel | 7/27/21

A

Market Snapshot

A

What's Ripe

Microstrategy ($MSTR) – Meme stocks are going up and this time digital currencies decided to join the party. With BTC and others finally waking from a FUD-filled hibernation, no stock benefited more than MicroStrategy, gaining 26.5%. A myriad of factors melded to create this bright green day, but perhaps none greater than Amazon posting a job listing for a digital currency developer. I can see it now... "Bezoscoin" ... exactly what the world needs.

AMC Entertainment ($AMC) – Speculative bets have come together to create an apes day in paradise. Most notably, AMC beefed up another 9.0%, largely riding the tidal wave of gains seen yesterday. GameStop, Clover, and Palantir all joined the party too with relatively little news. Didn’t we tell you stonks only go up?

Tesla ($TSLA) – Haters will say Tesla’s 2.2% rise yesterday doesn’t warrant a highly coveted spot in What’s Ripe, but that’s why we make the rules. After releasing Q2 earnings, shares in the EV & clean energy corp. spiked. Not to get too complex here, but they absolutely killed it. Total quarterly revenue was up 98%, net income exploded almost 1,000%, and our in-house analysis indicates this was the first time that the firm generated a quarterly GAAP profit without EV subsidies factored in. Good on ya Elon, Nikola would be proud.

What is WSO Alpha?

D

• Access 30+ holdings in an actual 401k account (held by lead investor)
  • Get trade alerts and research from an actual portfolio with real capital at stake (over 20% annualized return over 9.5 years)
  • Over 100 monthly brokerage statements included, dating back to December 2011 (as proof) when it started

>> Learn More Here <<

Join 110,000+ Wise Primates

Subscribe to get the most critical market moves each morning, Monday through Friday.

What's Rotten

Twitter ($TWTR) – While CEO Jack Dorsey galivants through the safari to build out Square, his baby - his first and apparently forgotten baby, took a tumble. Twitter did not have a good day. After a stellar earnings release last week boosted the stock, Wall Street pulled a classic “psyche!” and took shares down 4.1% yesterday. Even with killer earnings and Dorsey announcing BTC will be a “big part” of the future for Twitter, it wasn’t enough to keep shares elevated.

Lockheed Martin ($LMT) – You ever just get sick of the lack of war going on? Yeah, well Lockheed Martin does, especially yesterday as the A&D behemoth dropped 3.4% on not-good-enough earnings. Most of the heat is coming from a $0.61 per share charge stemming from “performance issues experienced on a classified program” according to Barron’s. Now, I’m no expert, but I think we can all agree...it's gotta be aliens.

Biotech ($BIB) – We all know Wall Street is great at forgiving short term news for longer term benefits...just kidding, did you really fall for that? Unfortunately, that is exactly what happened with biotech yesterday. Moderna, BioNTech, and notably Tonix Pharma all fell Monday, taking ProShares BioTech ETF down 3.9%. The newscycle in the industry was mixed, but in the realm of rich valuations, any negative news leads to exponentially negative stock returns.

Macro Monkey Says

New Homes – Okay, fine, you caught me. Yesterday I used the phrase “white hot housing market” and today the housing market said to me “shut up man.” While existing home sales just keep climbing, new home sales brought down the house. Hitting a 14-month low, the lack of residential construction and supply constraints are at least partially to blame. We can’t be too worried though, because once the Tendie Man sends the next check, I’m sure we’ll all be itching for our own place.

A

Food for Thought:

The Streiod Stocks – While we’re still in earnings szn, let’s take a sec to stop and look around a bit. We are in the midst of the best earnings cycle since immediately following the GFC, with 88% of companies beating EPS guidance and 86% beating revenue projections according to FactSet. Try not to get too excited though, as many of these projections were made in the depths of a little thing called The Pandemic. This got me thinking, if all you have to do is beat earnings expectations, why not just project bad quarters and lower expectations? Hang on a sec, Harvard is calling me…

Meme Meditation

A

Wise Investor Says

"It's not whether you're right or wrong that's important, but how much money you make when you're right and how much you lose when you're wrong."

George Soros

Happy Investing,

Patrick & The Daily Peel Team

Was this email forwarded to you? Sign up for the WSO Daily Peel here.

ADVERTISE // WSO ALPHA // COURSES // LEGAL

Join 110,000+ Wise Primates

Subscribe to get the most critical market moves each morning, Monday through Friday.

Ullam dignissimos deleniti voluptatibus maiores odio vel non. Ratione autem totam explicabo nostrum soluta molestiae facilis. Omnis beatae minima sit sed error voluptas. Ut aliquam fugit voluptas ipsum placeat minus.

Accusamus ut animi voluptate maxime rerum exercitationem quibusdam. Quia vel eveniet hic et. Corrupti et earum id ducimus asperiores id.

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”