SA 2019 Recruitment timeline for Canadian undergrads to US

Hi WSO, I'm a sophomore currently attending a top target in Canada for US EB/PE/BBs. From speaking to alumni and current juniors going into their summers in the US right now, I haven't been able to establish a clear timeline of recruitment for firms like HL, Mo, EVR, GS. I have been browsing a lot lately but find that kids from HYPSW are getting super days so early as a result of early OCR sessions and better connections to recruiters. This was NOT the case for the junior kids in my program, as their experiences with recruitment started in July. I'm wondering if anyone could clear things up in terms of whether there are actually differences between Canadians recruiting for US shops and Americans recruiting for US shops.

Do you know if they're actually able to reserve slots? Agree that Ivey usually is one of the best schools in terms of Moelis representation, particularly at the LA office, but I've heard they've already given out 8 offers to Wharton and Harvard kids - doesn't seem like great odds for Ivey if they still haven't started.

I'm on the same page as you that Ivey kids are among the strongest candidates, but I don't think they're sufficiently strong that firms would hold out for them, and I don't see a compelling reason for them to wait for Ivey (not like their incremental learning over the summer is needed), particularly they've already recruited at real US targets like H/W.

Regardless, thanks for the thoughts.

Best Response

Heard from a friend that Moelis is longer hiring Canadians due to visa issues. Can anyone confirm this lol...

Career Advancement Opportunities

June 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners New 98.9%
  • Lazard Freres 01 98.3%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 24 97.7%
  • Goldman Sachs 16 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 19 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres 06 98.9%
  • JPMorgan Chase 09 98.3%
  • William Blair 03 97.7%
  • Morgan Stanley 04 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.9%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners 18 98.3%
  • Goldman Sachs 16 97.7%
  • Moelis & Company 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (22) $375
  • Associates (94) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (69) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (207) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (152) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
bolo up's picture
bolo up
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”