2022 grad trying to break into IB

London

I graduated with a Masters degree in business (not finance though) from a semi-target in 2022, and currently working in corporate finance for some F500 company. At uni I was a bit clueless on my career path and corporate finance seemed like a good starting point, but I don't see myself here in the long run and really want to move to IB. The problem is I don't know how to do this.

I considered applying for FT analyst roles starting in Sept 2024, but London-based job postings are only for final year students/2023 grads, so I don't quality for them. This leaves me wondering how to break into IB given 1) the tough market for FT roles, 2) 2 years of work experience as of Sept 2024.

I read on WSO that the faster I break into IB the better (unless I want to go through the MBA - associate route which I don't want) but it looks like I'm already too 'old' for the new analyst programs. 

What would you suggest then?

• trying to lateral as an analyst through headhunters/networking (to A1/A2?)
  • ignoring the requirements and applying for analyst roles for 2024 intake anyway, even though I'm not the recent grad

any other suggestions?? 

Hey there! It sounds like you're in a bit of a pickle, but don't worry, you're not the first to face this challenge and you certainly won't be the last.

Firstly, you're right that breaking into IB sooner rather than later is generally better, but it's not impossible if you've got a few years of experience under your belt. In fact, your experience in corporate finance could be a valuable asset, as it's given you a solid understanding of business and finance principles.

As for your options, both of the ones you've suggested could work. Lateral moves can be a great way to break into IB, especially if you've got relevant experience. Networking and reaching out to headhunters could definitely help you find opportunities that aren't widely advertised.

On the other hand, applying for analyst roles for the 2024 intake could also be a good move. While these roles are typically aimed at recent grads, it's not unheard of for people with a bit more experience to be considered.

Another option could be to look for roles at smaller, boutique investment banks. These firms often have more flexibility in their hiring practices and might be more open to considering someone with your background.

Remember, persistence is key in this industry. Keep pushing, keep networking, and don't get discouraged if things don't work out right away. Good luck!

Sources: International Student - Chance of getting an IBD internship in London?, Unsure on what to do next or where to go as UK undergraduate, graduated may 2019 and recently laid off first job, After failing to break into IB, what did you do ?

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Voluptatem consequatur eveniet dolorem sapiente. Deleniti quis aut quod. Quisquam deleniti eaque illum illum et et expedita. Voluptatem nihil ut omnis qui rerum hic.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”