9/11 After 25 Years

Since it’s the anniversary I thought I would post and hear some of everyone’s memories or connections, especially if you work/worked in the financial district around that time.

I grew up in NYC and was about 10 when the attacks happened. I lived pretty far downtown so my school was shut down, I remember a few kids at my school who lost parents. Won’t ever forget walking home and seeing the big cloud of smoke where the towers used to be.

One thing I can’t get over is the incredible sacrifice and heroism you hear about from so many people on that day. For a lot of first responders they had to know it was practically a suicide mission.

This is not the place for any conspiracy theories or political opining, but if you have anything to share let’s hear it.

11 Comments
 

I'm honestly reminded of this video ever time:



How the US government's congress denied providing basic healthcare and medical treatment to first responders of a tragic terrorist event that universally celebrates their bravery with hollow accolades whilst doing nothing to support them every day after the event. 

What good is a medal, or a plaque, or some kind words when you're sitting at your deathbed wishing you'd had the chance to live longer? 

 

Single greatest cause he's ever been involved with and speech he's ever made IMO

Will always respect him for doing this.

"If you don't have any enemies in life you have never stood up for anything" - Winston Churchill | "It's a testament to the sheer belligerence of the profession that people would rather argue about the 'risk-adjusted returns' of using inferior tooth cleaning methods." - kellycriterion
 

I couldn't agree more - this speech should be mandatory to be watched in highschool and studied in university given how brilliantly it conveys the message and unearths the sheer apathy of congress within the US. 

"Yes, you're clearly dying from a heroic feat., but you see, it would be a inconvenience to give you the money necessary to live, so let's just run out the clock on your life."

 

While we the people may not have, the city, state, and federal governments clearly forgot (unless they're doing a photo op).

I was single digits when this happened. Old enough to remember meeting family at the gate at airports. Crazy to think how much time has passed and, regardless of people's theories of what really happened, just how much devastation (physical, psychological, and economic) on a global scale was wrought on the basis of this singular day over the subsequent 20+ years. I don't think it's unfair to describe it as a genuine inflection point for modern humans, befitting the start of a new millennium.

"If you don't have any enemies in life you have never stood up for anything" - Winston Churchill | "It's a testament to the sheer belligerence of the profession that people would rather argue about the 'risk-adjusted returns' of using inferior tooth cleaning methods." - kellycriterion
 
Most Helpful

I was 17. I'm from jersey, but was a senior in high school on 84th on that day. We didn't know what was going on. We went to mass at 8:30, the following week we were supposed to do our volunteer things. mine was St. Vincent's, the closest class 1 trauma center to downtown.

The history teacher suspended class right after. I thought it was a cessna and even Teddy Stenger with his little radio didn't know anything until we saw the F16s circling Manhattan.

In a almost certain violation of privacy us seniors were asked to go thru all the parents contact info looking for WTC exchange numbers. When Penn reopened the kids from Jersey and LI were let out to go home.

Mom picked me up.  We went to the lookout in south orange and saw the smoke. 

The following week on my way to St. Vincents I walked past the Gristedes on 13th. they had big plate glass windows. They were completely covered with missing posters. St Vincent's got under ten casualties that day.

The only difference between Asset Management and Investment Research is assets. I generally see somebody I know on TV on Bloomberg/CNBC etc. once or twice a week. This sounds cool, until I remind myself that I see somebody I know on ESPN five days a week.
 

seminarydropout

Thanks for sharing that. Went to Regis?

The point of this forum is that we are anonymous. Ignatius Loyola and Marymount are also on East 84th.

The only difference between Asset Management and Investment Research is assets. I generally see somebody I know on TV on Bloomberg/CNBC etc. once or twice a week. This sounds cool, until I remind myself that I see somebody I know on ESPN five days a week.
 

I was enlisted in the US Military on 9/11. We were out on the parade deck marching and someone ran out hysterically and told my unit to take cover. It was an odd request, but we all ran in under the building to take cover. Later, they showed us videos of planes hitting the towers and we thought the whole thing was fake. We went to sleep and got up in the morning seeing Humvees and armed guards at the gates as it was an increased DEFCON level. We finally believed and that was crazy. 

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee
 

Modi quia ut quam asperiores sint quia. Temporibus enim unde velit in sapiente ut non. Facere neque dolor eligendi reiciendis possimus. Molestiae id laboriosam quidem dolores sed. Dolore aut mollitia ex exercitationem est ut.

Eius itaque eum autem ducimus sit. Vero et suscipit repellendus quibusdam dicta et laudantium et. Temporibus fuga non aliquam repudiandae mollitia consequuntur eligendi laudantium. Quibusdam modi eum blanditiis eveniet. Quos incidunt ex distinctio ad voluptatibus.

Consectetur suscipit dolore in molestiae ut illum. Qui error molestiae quidem nesciunt. Libero corporis aspernatur porro perspiciatis distinctio provident. A consequuntur quam dignissimos quis aut enim.

Quidem dolorem animi et repellendus quia. Sint libero libero voluptas in eius repellat. Quia ut quia qui.

Career Advancement Opportunities

September 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Guggenheim Partners 02 97.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 06 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

September 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

September 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

September 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (56) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

1
redever's picture
redever
99.2
2
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
99.0
3
kanon's picture
kanon
99.0
4
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
99.0
5
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
98.9
6
dosk17's picture
dosk17
98.9
7
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
98.9
8
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
98.9
9
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
98.9
10
bolo up's picture
bolo up
98.8
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”