London vs US for PE in Long-term? (2023 editiion)

I am about to begin my PE associate stint in London after two years in banking, but fundamentally, I am concerned about my prospects in the UK and experiencing FOMO regarding the potential of PE in the US. For context, I am originally from an Eastern European country that is not part of the EU:

1. The UK economy is a complete mess and so exposed to the disaster happening on the continent, while the US appears to be more resilient and secure energy-wise, and remains more resilient in terms of growth potential (especially with the AI revolution on the horizon).
  2. Taxes are chaotic and likely to increase go up further, while public services and safety appear to be deteriorating by the day.
  3. PE in London involves covering a lot of UK and European companies, which means there is a need to know languages and cultures in order to build meaningful long-term relationships. This appears to be less of an issue for PE professionals in the US (maybe I am wrong).

What counter-arguments would you offer to the points above? I still enjoy traveling around Europe, and being close to it is advantageous. Additionally, proximity to my home country is a somewhat significant factor.

I would appreciate hearing your perspective on this matter. Thank you!

Most Helpful

Do you have an option to move to the USA? If not I don't really think you should be concerned right now. By all means explore an internal move or maybe an MBA in the US, but that is not guaranteed. Most of my British / European friends who left PE in london for H/S/W really struggled to get full time PE roles in the US and are back here, just with a weaker currency and US$ loans sadly.

Agree with your points honestly, except maybe language skills (I have no European languages and it has never been an issue for me; the vast majority of business is done in English, and nobody is going to care at any decent shop). The UK is not what it used to be, but London will always be here. It has lost its global pre-eminence but it is still the financial capital of the world ex-New York (although who knows for how much longer). Obviously, you will get paid 2x+ in the US and have a much bigger market and way more tier 1 cities to live and work in compared to the UK, but again unless you actually have an offer on the table, I wouldn't stress about this.

Ultimately this move for the vast majority of people who DO have the option is driven by personal reasons (family, relationships etc.). There are more things to life than maximising comp, and London is still a huge market with most major players here - if you do well, you will have a good life in any place. Personally, having spent some time working in the US, I definitively know it is not for me - but maybe you need that experience to be sure.

Would the same hold for seconding internally on the sell-side to e.g. NYC and using that to then recruit for buyside roles in places like NYC as a sell-side IBD associate either directly or through business school

My interest in moving across the pond includes comp but also factors like family/community, new experience etc.

Autem praesentium et tenetur mollitia facere eligendi. Commodi et quisquam reiciendis consequatur qui modi. Sed hic reiciendis ut illo et quod. Necessitatibus voluptatem non asperiores amet sit itaque. Necessitatibus veritatis qui quia dolorum doloribus.

Quasi voluptates hic ea voluptas doloribus in. Ut sed vitae quos quaerat minus omnis reiciendis. Voluptatem cumque aspernatur et ea modi quis voluptatem.

Adipisci consequatur veritatis maiores itaque. Odit sit eum dolorem dolorem ad distinctio sapiente odit.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Blackstone Group 99.0%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

May 2024 Private Equity

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

May 2024 Private Equity

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

May 2024 Private Equity

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (22) $569
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (91) $281
  • 2nd Year Associate (207) $268
  • 1st Year Associate (388) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (29) $154
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (315) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”