MSRED/MRED 2019 (MIT vs. USC vs. Columbia) WHICH ONE?

I've been accepted to MIT/USC/Columbia MSRED/MRED programs and would like to get feedback from industry professionals, anyone who is going through the similar process, and recent graduates. Since yesterday, I have been contacting my acquaintances in the real estate industry to gain their opinion and also browsing through endless forum comments about this topic, however with no success as my situation is not exactly the same as others. I have few questions that I need everyone's feedback on.

CONTEXT
- Past experience: 5 years working in international commercial real estate with roles like analyst, business program manager and asset manager. Undergraduate in a business program, thus not applying to MBA. Through MSRED/MRED, I want to hone down my real estate development knowledge and network with RE professionals. I am an Asian international student.
- Career goal: Becoming a developer or owner's representative. After graduating from MSRED/MRE, I would like to work in US for few years but open to great opportunities anywhere in the world afterwards.

QUESTIONS
1. Which alumni network is the best? within US and internationally? size? culture (do alumni actively support each other / casual vs. formal)?
2. MIT program - Is the curriculum comprehensive enough to cover all facets of real estate development? I noticed that the core curriculum is definitely finance/economics focused, and I read so many other people's comments in various forums emphasizing this fact. Is the curriculum not practical?
3. Columbia program - Large class size does make me think I won't get enough face to face time with professors as compared to other schools. I do thrive in smaller group environment. Does Columbia provide other assistance to ensure every student is properly supported?

Look forward to any relevant feedback. Thank you!

Most Helpful

OP,

I'm in similar shoes as you. I have recently been admitted to MIT and Columbia MSRED.

I've read extensively here on WSO about the different pros and cons of each program (thank you to everyone for your insights). I gather that the WSO community in general holds the MIT MSRED in highest esteem, though that's not to say Columbia or Cornell are not better given a particular student's career goals, such as where they want to be located come graduation, etc.

HOWEVER, one thing I HAVEN'T seen any discussions related to thus far (and forgive me if I've missed it), is the male/female class ratio at each of these schools. And further, insights about the student life and networking potential as a female in these programs.

While I network as much as possible with both men and women, I tend to make the most meaningful professional connections with other women. This is not intentional by any means, but I think people are typically drawn to like people, and I've just had the best luck so far really making lasting relationships with female advisors.

Any insights on if one of these programs in particular is a 'boys club'? Or one in particular has a favorable female ratio?

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 18 98.3%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (90) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”