Comments (27)

Nov 15, 2016

Is there a similar publication for debt/lending available for free?

Nov 15, 2016

Anyone here work in Asset Management and know what the market for an analyst is? I didn't see that on the sheet.

Nov 15, 2016

It's most likely $60-$75k (pre bonus). Varies by city, firm type and what year you are.

Nov 15, 2016

Well fuck, Im making about 65% of my position's avg. in a major NE market.

Thanks for posting.

Nov 15, 2016

I was about to say the same thing haha. But I'm at a start-up fund/family office and I get a sliver of equity on deals so I can live with it. Still don't know if/what my bonus is going to look like or if the equity on deals is my bonus.

Learn More

Side-by-side comparison of top modeling training courses + exclusive discount through WSO here.

Nov 15, 2016

This feels a bit inflated to me. And it made the rounds this past summer - anybody have a more localized version?

Nov 15, 2016

I am not a fan of these surveys. Primarily because compensation differs vastly from major markets to secondary markets. Cost of living in NY / SF / LA is so much more than say, Dallas. People mention that they are underpaid when comparing to this survey. I guarantee people on WSO will think the complete opposite when reading this survey, and those people are in NY / SF / LA / etc.

Nov 18, 2016

Nov 16, 2016

What area of real estate are you in? How many years of experience? Where are you at in relation to the averages?

Nov 22, 2016

These numbers seem right to me, at least for most of the residentail/office development positions. There is obviously a lot more variance at the top levels, the compensation for which is probably understated here.

Nov 15, 2016

Do you guys read this as base salary + bonus so like office for acquisitions associate - $101.6K + $27.5 = $129.1 total comp (median)?

Nov 16, 2016
IRRelevant:

Do you guys read this as base salary + bonus so like office for acquisitions associate - $101.6K + $27.5 = $129.1 total comp (median)?

I do, mainly because it it titled "compensation" not "salary"

Nov 16, 2016

Ok thanks. That's the way I was reading it too.

Nov 17, 2016

The comps may also include quantified health and retirement benefits

Nov 17, 2016

It also says "Base Salary Range" at the top

Nov 17, 2016

I know and it was not 100% clear to me so I posted a question on a forum which is around to help people answer their questions.

Nov 16, 2016

I honestly didn't know real estate had such low base+ bonus. Outside of the exec positions, the median looks sub 150..

Nov 16, 2016

Yeah bro it's usually the lowest paying career on the MBA placement surveys.

Nov 17, 2016
Praesto:

I honestly didn't know real estate had such low base+ bonus. Outside of the exec positions, the median looks sub 150..

That's because taking a salary and punching the clock isn't the point of the business or these positions. Ideally, you're trying to make connections and get deal execution experience for 5-10 years and so you can go out on your own. This isn't banking - you don't try to make $125k for a few, then $200 for a few, then $300 for a few, etc. You make $125k for a bit longer then you focus on equity and fees, which should pay out in the millions.

Nov 17, 2016

The salary uncertainty and potential for entrepreneurship are the only reason I got into real estate - so I don't have everything laid out in front of me. High risk, high reward.

Nov 17, 2016

Thanks for the info! So how often does that transformation successfully take place? say for every 100 people in CRE how many end l getting fees in the millions running their own successful shop?

Best Response
Nov 17, 2016
Comment
Nov 17, 2016