3.4/3.5 GPA, no SA offers this summer, OPS or Commercial Banking?

I am currently finishing up my junior year at a non-target and will have a ~3.4-3.5 (business/finance major) by the end of this semester. I originally wanted to do investment banking but I clearly don't have the grades for it anymore. My work experience is just a couple summers at a regional pwm, and I have no offers for the upcoming summer. My plan is to increase my gpa by the time I graduate to 3.5+ and gain the best possible work experience I can after I graduate.

What would set me up for a decent MBA better: ops or commercial banking? also, are there other possibilities that I should explore? I will continue trying to get into FO roles at boutiques, but I need to start pursuing backups now. Assuming I don't do an MBA, which of these fields would have a better career progression (how "fast" can i move up, in pay/position)?

^How easy are these F500 programs? I am in a similar spot except I have a higher GPA and didn't get into the one place I have OCR for, and it's virtually impossible to get noticed online at those places (sorry OP, hope I'm not highjacking)

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer.

Nobama88:
Commercial banking and continue to knock on doors at those BBs.

In terms of what they make / life:

Salary for commercial lenders is in the 6 figures. You make base salary + bonus on your book of business + fees you generate (SBA). Hours are 9-5PM (or as needed for your book of business, ie if you have a strong book then happy hour with the client every time the loan comes up for renewal: aka you don't work much).

This is unbelievably misleading for the OP. It may be like that at one point, but it will take a long-ass time to enjoy that balance. I also recommend doing commercial banking, but have reasonable expectations..

Between ops and commercial banking, definitely go with commercial banking. Not even a question IMO. That being said, I wouldn't count yourself out for investment banking yet. It is good to be realistic, but your GPA is not low enough to auto-ding you for banking. Focus hard on boutique shops in any FO-type role, including research or something like that. I personally would suggest looking into boutique consulting as well, though others may disagree with me on that. My reasoning is that consulting, even at the no-name level, will allow you to put "Strategy consulting intern" or something like that on your resume, which will give you a small amount of pedigree. Having non-target and ops on your resume is sort of a double stigma in high finance (not saying whether this is justified or not), and you do not want that burden.

Don't get me wrong, nothing is impossible. Take ops if you can't anything else, but I'd go FO boutique>consulting boutique>commercial banking>ops

Nobama88:
Sorry misleading a bit, unbelievably misleading.. not really.

6 figures is accurate. 9-5 PM is accurate. Not having to work that much is a bit misleading. That will happen when you have a book of business, as you just need to work those same guys once you do. When you start out as a lender, you will need to pound pavement to get your book. Getting business is NOT that difficult as long as your willing to put effort into it. You always have your salary; Bonuses are given based on performance - ie $10MM in business = X amount of bonus, $20MM in business = X amount, and so forth.

You are able to become model and bottle rich in commercial banking, but staying in lending wont provide that. You need to open up your own bank, hold and manage it well for 10 years, and sell. (that is the very simplistic form, not to be misleading). I know a few guys who have / are doing this. Its a lot of work and hustling, but you should be able to retire off of it.

This is much less "misleading" than every fanboy on this site thinking they'll make millions in IB just because they got an analyst gig or prospective Big4 monkeys discussing making partner

"I don't know how to explain to you that you should care about other people."

Minus ipsa voluptates deleniti beatae. Nostrum accusantium aut blanditiis consequatur voluptatem ullam aliquid suscipit. Voluptates adipisci voluptas animi ipsum. Quia dignissimos fugit rem illum. Quidem deserunt fuga praesentium explicabo expedita.

Fugit odit similique et omnis. Corporis omnis iste impedit quia sint aut impedit. Omnis mollitia voluptas et assumenda ut.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”