Cancel interviews schedule now that I have received offer?

fallensyrup's picture
Rank: Monkey | banana points 63

I started looking for an internship very late -- didn't know I wanted to do finance for a while, didn't know that soph summer internships were so important until recently. I struck out at a lot of interviews, but finally today received an offer for an unpaid ER internship. Luckily I can afford to take unpaid, and I really like the office and I like ER in general. I'd like to do it this sumer so I can know if I want to do it full-time or do something more along the lines of IB. Yesterday, I scheduled an interview for tomorrow and one for Friday -- do I e-mail and cancel these? One is with the same firm, so I think I will e-mail her and explain that I was offered ER and will be taking that position so she should focus on other candidates for the other position.

Find Your Mentor

  • Increase your chance of landing a job by matching with one of our 200+ mentors.
  • Our mentors are top employees at the most selective firms.
  • Proven process with over 1,100 clients over 10 years.

Comments (12)

Jun 18, 2014

What is the other interview for? If it's for a possible better opportunity why not take the chance and interview and possibly get a paid better position.

Jun 18, 2014

I can't answer your questions specifically (LOL sorry).

But yes, an interview is great practice and can help you decide if you would be happy at PwC.

Jun 18, 2014

I should clarify, my worry is not about my performance at MS, but the fact that if GS calls MS, then I can lose my position at MS. How likely is this?

Learn More

Side-by-side comparison of top modeling training courses + exclusive discount through WSO here.

Jun 18, 2014

Morgan Stanley is just as good. dont risk it, get your FT offer from MS and dont look back

"Look, you're my best friend, so don't take this the wrong way. In twenty years, if you're still livin' here, comin' over to my house to watch the Patriots games, still workin' construction, I'll fuckin' kill you. That's not a threat, that's a fact.

Jun 18, 2014

Seems like you don't have much to gain and a lot to lose. Wall street is small, reneging on MS will not look good and the upgrade from GS to MS is minimal if anything (could even even be a negative depending on group).

Jun 18, 2014

No, too much downside

Jun 18, 2014

Don't do it. You could ruin any future you would have had anywhere on wall street.

Tell GS that unfortunately, you've accepted an offer elsewhere. They will likely understand that you aren't snubbing them, and that it was legitimately a timing issue (because they're Goldman, after all). However (and for reference next time), you can let a company to which you're applying know that you have an offer deadline, and often they will try to accommodate you.

In any event, raise the topic of full time recruiting in your email, and stay in touch with the recruiter & your contacts, with the goal of being targeted for their accelerated interview process (assuming you do want to work there).

Jun 18, 2014
Sandhurst:

Don't do it. You could ruin any future you would have had anywhere on wall street.

Tell GS that unfortunately, you've accepted an offer elsewhere. They will likely understand that you aren't snubbing them, and that it was legitimately a timing issue (because they're Goldman, after all). However (and for reference next time), you can let a company to which you're applying know that you have an offer deadline, and often they will try to accommodate you.

In any event, raise the topic of full time recruiting in your email, and stay in touch with the recruiter & your contacts, with the goal of being targeted for their accelerated interview process (assuming you do want to work there).

This. stay in touch for FT recruiting w/GS

Jun 18, 2014

You don't want to work at GS anyways.

Jun 18, 2014