co-worker that never listens to other people?

I'm in an interesting situation where I'm always, always put on projects with this other analyst who never listens to other people (here I mean fellow analysts and sometimes associates) and only does things she thinks are right.

For example, when we are writing pitchbooks,

She would ask me: hey did you finish your part, wanna consolidate?

Me: sure. 

She: okay send it to me.

She: hey your part on XYZ is not what we want. I'll re-write it. 

Me: okay ? 

We have had arguments before, and I don't think it's worth it since this kind of writing is very subjective. It is not like 1 + 1 = 2. I choose to give this colleague some "freedom" so I don't need to listen to someone bugging me for 20 minutes telling me why her way of writing is better.

What would you do ? 

From what I remember, when she re-writes stuff sometimes she gets comments on that --- although I'm the one "getting" comments on the surface since the Associate thought I wrote it. Sometimes not. She gets quite a few comments on her own sections. Consolidating her slides is always a nightmare because of formatting issues.

I don't THINK she complains anything to my associate, at least not that I'm aware of. Our group has a good culture and I BELIEVE no one stabs each other's back. I could be wrong though. 

One last point: another Associate, who likes working with me (and vice versa), also thinks this said analyst is hard to work with. 

I've worked with analysts like this - I believe they feel under extreme stress to perform, and really start doing tasks that are not necessary. Very annoying.

I'm assuming your both similar positions / year joined.

I would just let them do whatever. If it happens occasionally, or if it's all the time.

Either way, this is more the responsibility of the VP/Associate.

Most Helpful

Save your rider with your initials so there is a paper trail. When she offers to consolidate, tell her you can drop your slides in the master once she’s out so you can take another look then you can hop on the phone to go over the flow together. She will feel awkward making changes to every word when she has to explain why she did it.

Also choose your battles, if it is internal or still 1-3 draft, let her do it and then do your thing in the next draft. If she is absolutely not giving you space, tell her I understand where you’re coming from. We can add it and check with associate his thoughts as well. When all three are on a call, say what do you think about x? Wanna write y or z? Just trying to think how to best word it( without mentioning her name at all). If she is wrong and someone else says so too, there is a good chance this will shut her up. It is so tricky being upfront when someone from your same analyst class. You just need to put them in their place if it persists

Thanks, helpful. 

My gut tells me, like PaintingDry said, she feels an enormous mount of pressure to perform since she has the least experience among the analyst class. All the other are lateral hires even though I only have <1 yr of experience. She is a fresh med school graduate who doesn't understand finance at all. 

I had an associate like that. You can try to help in a very non-threatening way. Call her and explain if there are things that you know that she won’t know and try to convey that “we all don’t know many things” or I’m sharing this with you in case helpful. Especially with junior people, try to offer help as much as you can, it will really pay off. She seems hardworking regardless, once she gets more experience she could be your best friend.

I agree. 

One thing I often do is, if I don't think something is necessary, I won't create extra work. This might sound ridiculous given I'm a 1st year analyst. 

I had an interview once where the VP of the small boutique told me that as a VP he would probably tell me to do things I wouldn't want to do. I like tha in people. 

Another thing is time commitment / work product ratio. This said co-workers like to spend 2-4 hours on something and then write 2-3 lines about it. IMO it's not worth it. 0.5-1 hour of research should suffice. She probably think I have a bad attitude that way, while I think her lack of efficiency creates unnecessary work, which is dumb.

What do you think ? 

An acceptable circumstance for women to work is only if a woman is in financial need and her employment does not cause her to neglect her important role as a mother and wife. Inshallah, she will see the light and remove herself from this degenerate path.

أمنيتي الوحيدة: جنسي مثلي الجنس العربدة وقذف القضيب I bear witness that there is no deity but Allah, and I bear witness that Muhammad is the messenger of Allah.

Dolor facere deleniti sit eligendi. Aliquam molestias dignissimos omnis esse reiciendis. Incidunt repudiandae doloremque qui dignissimos possimus. Inventore voluptate doloribus in consequatur non asperiores eaque et.

Rerum architecto aut neque vitae perferendis eaque. Occaecati quia et laboriosam. Fuga velit expedita distinctio suscipit distinctio.

Facere aut quidem excepturi rem corporis est consectetur animi. Illo magnam cumque est illum vero corrupti sed. Non aut ad sed deleniti iste fugit. Quia assumenda nisi at inventore enim molestiae.

Sed cum ipsum et omnis natus quo. Qui deleniti in quia rerum consequatur. Est sit pariatur reprehenderit ad.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”