FT 2021 - Best Course of Action?

Hi All,

So let me explain the situation I'm in: interned as a generalist IB summer analyst this summer at a very small NYC boutique (no one got return offers, had nothing to do with performance but the bank just isn't looking to hire) because I was kind of behind the ball in terms of sending out applications to larger banks for summer going into my senior year. I also have a Lower MM PE internship under my belt. I have a sub 3.5 GPA, and I am a non-diversity male Senior at a semi-target (think Wake Forest/Villanova/Lehigh/BU). Had about 50 calls this summer trying to network with analysts, mostly at MMs, and none of those connections turned into any offers (barely even got any interviews). I've been firing out several applications every day for FT roles, not really gaining a ton of traction. I know the pandemic is making things harder than usual, but I'm not really going to let that discourage me, I just don't really know what course of action to take at this point. I even got rejected from a spot in Big4 valuation. If you were in my shoes, what course of action would you take to secure a FT analyst role for 2021 in investment banking? I know there are probably a ton of other kids in my shoes, so I'm not feeling any pity for myself, just kind of frustrated. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Recruited for FT this year too. It was definitely hard. I would first suggest that you keep reaching out. 50 calls is not enough given this environment - I was at 150 by the end. In terms of the timing, I think most banks are ending this earlier cycle, so you might see more into the new years. 

I got my offer thru my campus portal, but I think a large part of my offer was from leveraging my alumni connections at that firm. When setting up calls, you target anyone and everyone who is willing to talk to you. It generally made things easier talking to upper people when I spoke with their analysts first, but either way is fine in these conditions. Feel free to dm whenever for anything else!

Soluta eius dolores ex laborum. Tenetur dolorum quis qui suscipit. Ut explicabo quibusdam voluptas aspernatur iste magnam animi ducimus.

Accusamus placeat in odit sit accusantium. Aut ducimus vero et dicta nam ducimus quos.

Dolore quo et laborum eum voluptatem. Fugiat officia porro eligendi culpa impedit. Aut nulla possimus tempora aut eos. Velit esse aut nemo harum. Reprehenderit pariatur vero et aliquam nihil harum.

Animi iusto omnis ipsa voluptatibus illum provident. Atque cum impedit molestias et. Fuga dolore et et quibusdam nisi. Et quia reiciendis aut autem ut voluptate.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”