3/24/14

Even as a recent graduate I do have enough relevant finance experience to fill up the space on my resume, however, I was wondering how an unrelated position may intrigue potential employers.

How would including a landscaping/construction job that I worked at over several years in the summer look in place of my most dated/shittiest Internship?

This may seem like a silly question but I'm sure it would earn the respect of many who see it and have been there/can respect the hard work required - maybe would be better off if the resume was going straight to the hands of some tough ass bosses, opposed to some dove in HR.

I'm sure several of you have had something like this - it ever strike up an interesting convo/questions or help you out in any way?

Comments (35)

3/25/14

You can include it but don't emphasize it. You should really start looking to do things to put on your resume that are more relevant--obviously easier said than done. Some things you can spin, as you suggest, to be relevant to the job to which you are applying. Just make sure you have a story and use it to emphasize a particular skillset--ability to work in tough conditions, deal with people, work while going to school... that sort of thing. When I had waiter on my resume I had more people ask me about experiences with that (ability to sell, particularly difficult customers, taking extra shifts, etc.) than things that were much more pertinent to the skillset the job required.

as for adding experience, take a modeling course, join a local investing club, etc. People want to know you will be interested in whatever it is you are applying for.

Learn More

Side-by-side comparison of top modeling training courses + exclusive discount through WSO here.

3/25/14

I have stuff like that under "other activities". No need to really go into detail of responsibilities, since they are negligible to the job you're likely applying for.

People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for freedom of thought which they seldom use.

3/25/14
Anihilist wrote:

I have stuff like that under "other activities". No need to really go into detail of responsibilities, since they are negligible to the job you're likely applying for.

That's actually a really good idea. Like I said, I have enough relevant experience to fill my resume, just wanted to include something differentiating.

Don't listen to anyone, everybody is scared.

3/25/14

The construction job shows you don't have a problem with any work so if you really want to, I don't see the problem with that.

Here to learn and hopefully pass on some knowledge as well. SB if I helped.

3/25/14
That_Aston wrote:

The construction job shows you don't have a problem with any work so if you really want to, I don't see the problem with that.

Most people I've asked have given me this response. Thanks for the responses guys.

3/25/14

Keep it on there

Get busy living

3/25/14
Pienaar21:

On my resume, under "experience" I simply have the wealth management internship I've been doing for the past two summers. Should I include work (construction, cashier at diner, etc.) that I've done in addition to that? Not for any need of filling up any white space since the page is nearly full at font 10 but maybe so they think I'm hardworking in other aspects?

Thanks guys

Keep it on there, it won't do any harm. But as a recruiter, I'll just overlook it. So if it is taking up space and your resume looks full and cluttered just take it out. Also take it out if you can put something more relevant and finance-like or really really unique. Cashier at diner and construction worker isnt.

3/25/14

The bulk of the experience section should be your current internship and the PWM one. If you want to include the camp gig, it should be just one line...

I would probably keep it, but keep it to a single line (i.e. employer, date on 1 line, then short bullet point...so when I say one line, I guess i mean two...you know what i mean...keep it really short)

3/25/14

sounds good, thanks a lot

3/25/14

spin it so it has something to do with finance or working.
I mean if it comes across as if you are hard working and get along well with people and can keep your eye on multiple kids, or mentor kids or whatever the hell a camp counselor does - that probably would translate to you being able to be a good team player and a leader in your finance team.

More is good, all is better

Learn More

Side-by-side comparison of top modeling training courses + exclusive discount through WSO here.

3/25/14

makie it sound like a legit business, after all in banking when you are pitching you need to make everything sound legit.

Do what you want not what you can!

3/25/14

Try to quantify your business, like total revenues, profit margins, # of clients, etc.

3/25/14

Even if total revenues were like $3,000 and I had ~12 clients (Over 3 years)?

3/25/14

fast food job, absolutely not. For the retail job, your results could be your close rate on credit cards or warranties, things you had to convince people to buy. Also training employees or being the floor leader or whatever. Did your store meet its monthly revenue and profit goals on a consistent basis? If so, talk about how you contributed to that.

Take off the wedding stuff, make it your answer to the "tell me something about you that's not on your resume" question. Or use in in your personal story; your experience as an entrepreneur led you to become interested in business, etc.

3/25/14

Yes; leadership experience is important.

3/25/14

Uhhhhhhh.....YES. You shouldn't need to ask questions this obvious. Recruiters love entrepreneurialism.

3/25/14

What if i show the fact that i changed my campers from being overweight, into winners of the intercamp Apache Relay?

I eat success for breakfast...with skim milk

3/25/14
TonyPerkis wrote:

What if i show the fact that i changed my campers from being overweight, into winners of the intercamp Apache Relay?

That would show leadership experience for sure. Also, change management.

3/25/14
TonyPerkis wrote:

What if i show the fact that i changed my campers from being overweight, into winners of the intercamp Apache Relay?

You had already been ousted from your role when the Apache Relay was won. Putting it on your resume would be dishonest.

"For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen."

3/25/14

This is not funny

Eventus stultorum magister.

3/25/14

Just say charity event... Not beer pong.

3/25/14

Okay thanks. Just wanted to make sure that it was okay to lie in this case. Changing it to Charity Ping-pong tournament.

"The way to make money is to buy when blood is running in the streets."

-John D. Rockefeller

3/25/14
carlfox wrote:

Okay thanks. Just wanted to make sure that it was okay to lie in this case. Changing it to Charity Ping-pong tournament.

I wouldn't call it a ping pong tournament, because that's actually a lie and you wouldn't want to get caught on that in an interview. You say you made money for the event, so why not call it a Charity Fundraiser? Then you'd be able to feel out your interviewer a little first, and decide whether or not it'd be a good idea to bring up the actual nature of the event.

3/25/14
The Sour Patch Kid:
carlfox:

Okay thanks. Just wanted to make sure that it was okay to lie in this case. Changing it to Charity Ping-pong tournament.

I wouldn't call it a ping pong tournament, because that's actually a lie and you wouldn't want to get caught on that in an interview. You say you made money for the event, so why not call it a Charity Fundraiser? Then you'd be able to feel out your interviewer a little first, and decide whether or not it'd be a good idea to bring up the actual nature of the event.

^^This

See my WSO blog

<

ul>
"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein

3/25/14

I think it'd depend on the particular culture -- I can imagine it benefiting you depending on the interviewer, but it would have to get past the screener first...

3/25/14

I worked in the nightlife industry during college as well (summers and holidays) as security. If I got an application from someone who did the same, I would look favorably on it (depending on the rest of the application). However, I feel like I am a minority on here and I didn't put any of my security experience on my resume.

3/25/14

I feel that if I interviewed with someone younger that was somewhat sociable in college they may see it favorably. However, I am just worried about some older guy looking at my resume and not taking me serious.

3/25/14

1-Click to Unlock All Comments - 100% FREE

Why do I need to be signed in?
WSO is a knowledge-sharing community that depends on everyone being able to pitch in when they know something.
+ Bonus: 6 Free Financial Modeling Lessons with 1-Click Signup ($199 value)