Is Security Analysis (1934 ed) easy to understand?

Hey monkeys

Some context: I am a senior in High School and I plan on reading Security Analysis after my principles of corporate finance (Brealey, Myers & Allen 10th ed) textbook.

In your opinions do you think I’ll be able to understand security analysis? Meaning, will I be confused by any of the trading terms, market references, stock jargon etc? Or do you guys believe that the book is theoretical enough for me to understand the authors given my gaps in knowledge.
Please let me know if you think that I’ll have to be looking things up constantly.

This is my first post on WSO so I’m excited to see what you guys have to say

Ps
I put this under the IB heading bc that’s where my interests lie and I didn’t see any other better heading.

Thanks for your response.

I want to read it for the reasons you mentioned, and because the book is recommended a lot.

I’m not worried about the book being dry. In your opinion, is the book so outdated that it’s not worth the read - given that the principles simply don’t apply anymore?

i would say its somewhat outdated and there are better books to begin reading with, but i still that some of the principles in security analysis are still pretty robust.

perhaps later on you could give it a read for the sake of it, but i would suggest starting with other books first (e.g., margin of safety/intelligent investor and random walk down wallstreet to get the full picture of value vs passive investing, etc)

@Flourishes7, it is impressive you are reading Brealey Myers while at high school. It is a popular textbook and should build a solid foundation as intro to finance. Security Analysis is a classic. I have read it but honestly, I feel I did so more for bragging right. If you are looking to learn investing, perhaps checking on “value investing “ books from more recent authors. Then when you have more time read Security Analysis.

Most Helpful

I thought I'd share three books that might be good for beginners interested in learning about investing. You mentioned you are reading Brealey & Myers, so I assume you have basic financial accounting knowledge.

I also like a balanced view such as A Random Walk Down Wall Street by Burton Malkiel (https://www.amazon.com/Random-Walk-Down-Wall-Street/dp/0393330338). I think it is a must-read on market efficiency.

I’m reading the 1940s version right now, mostly out of intellectual curiosity. I find it to be very basic. The general gist is “don’t do something stupid” with provided examples. I’ve read The Intelligent Investor also and there’s a fair bit of overlap. Both have the same general gist. The Intelligent Investor is more summarized and shorter.

I've read it several times. Would highly suggest not only reading it but going back and studying specific chapters that you find interesting. I would start with Peter Lynch's books (very easy to digest), the Intelligent Investor, Margin of Safety, Value Investing: From Graham to Buffett and Beyond, etc, to get a working knowledge of the market and value investing principles before diving into Security Analysis

Illum molestias labore quos totam reiciendis. Voluptatem beatae quia tempora aut odit dolorem. Officia pariatur repellendus ipsa at asperiores impedit. Quia voluptatibus officiis odio quibusdam. Provident reprehenderit nam iure voluptatem occaecati et.

Sapiente aut delectus in dolor itaque. Rerum qui accusamus id error maxime eveniet odit. Qui eaque aut itaque nesciunt veritatis dolores voluptatem.

Et libero modi hic non. Voluptates porro excepturi minima neque fuga. Id nemo provident sed et. Tempore qui laborum non. Eligendi voluptate enim quia odit earum et ducimus.

Rerum aut expedita doloribus est et numquam. Est occaecati earum voluptatem doloribus. Sed quas nihil quo officiis eos nihil. Voluptatum sed ipsum quia ex doloremque repellendus exercitationem. Quo libero deserunt sunt. Tempore sint voluptas quae eius sint doloremque.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”