KKR 2021 Analyst NGT (TMT Growth) Thread

Would a mid tier BB IB/EB position be better than this role considering it’s 80% sourcing (I.e. current associates said this)? I’m interested in growth equity more so than pe, but I’m not sure if it’s ideal to lose out on the technical modeling skills I would learn in IB. I’m thinking it may make more sense to go into IB first then growth equity.

If you actually want to end up in growth equity, this opportunity would be a much better route IMO. You cut out the grueling buyside recruiting process and would have the same type of brand equity on your resume if not better (KKR vs. mid tier BB). Can't comment too much on the technical side but if you are pretty strong on excel / accounting already I personally don't think you are missing out on much.

Prospect in Other:

Would a mid tier BB IB/EB position be better than this role considering it's 80% sourcing (I.e. current associates said this)? I'm interested in growth equity more so than pe, but I'm not sure if it's ideal to lose out on the technical modeling skills I would learn in IB. I'm thinking it may make more sense to go into IB first then growth equity.

text

If it truly is a sourcing role then I would be very cautious taking it as a first job. You will not learn the hard skills / investing reps by just sitting in a cubicle and making phone calls. Early on in your career you should focus on building a robust skill set. You are better off going to banking (any legit one really) & then recruiting for GE after two years when you will: (1) have hard/soft skills to actually think like an investor (2) be in a value creation position. I believe GA & Summit also structure theirs the same way so be aware

If this role is mainly sourcing what sort of backgrounds do they look for?

why just diversity? and surely a tech/VC background would be better no?

Most Helpful

I’ll take a pro-sourcing stance here as a growth equity associate myself.

The most important asset any investor has is internal benchmarks — being able to know what’s good from a metrics perspective, what business models are interesting, and what problems are beneath the surface or around the corner.

When you call 500 companies a year, review initial data for 200, and seriously work toward an LOI for 25-50 you develop that mental model a LOT faster than you do in banking or consulting where you might be on one project for a long time, and might only own a small piece of it.

Being good at diligence is an important skill too... but the best prep for being good at growth equity DD is actually doing growth equity DD on the buyside, not sellside advisory work for control deals in larger / more mature businesses.

Diligence skills are also much more commoditized than sourcing skills, and the latter is what people get hired for at the senior level.

If you know you want to do growth, you’d be dumb not to take what sounds like a great opportunity.

I do think a sourcing skillset translates well to partner-level positions and many of the folks you see get promoted are often the strongest at origination.

That said, a lot of the reason for young partners is that VC / growth is generally just a flatter industry than PE or banking... for example, at Insight there's no Principal level, you just go straight from VP to MD, and VPs are able to lead deals themselves if it's under a certain size threshold.

would there be modelling in this type of interview? and if so what?

Not sure about KKR, but I'm aware of comparable firms that pay analysts the same across those groups. Each program sets you up for different areas of course, and traditional PE will likely be viewed as the one with the most "prestige." Brand names like these tend to help across all categories, so if you think you'd like the space, go for it.

Anyone have insight on the recruiting process for this group? when interviews will be given out/the general timeline??

Doloremque maiores rerum dolorem et officia non aperiam et. Voluptas aut nulla voluptatem sit autem. Voluptates amet similique natus odit fuga dolor. Sit fuga excepturi ut qui est occaecati voluptate voluptates. Molestias eveniet asperiores sed inventore voluptas nisi. Non aut est perferendis aliquid ea labore. Natus quibusdam laboriosam quia vel ea ut laborum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Blackstone Group 99.0%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

May 2024 Private Equity

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

May 2024 Private Equity

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

May 2024 Private Equity

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (22) $569
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (91) $281
  • 2nd Year Associate (206) $268
  • 1st Year Associate (388) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (29) $154
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (315) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”