WSO Elite Modeling Package

• 6 courses to mastery: Excel, Financial Statement, LBO, M&A, Valuation and DCF
  • Elite instructors from top BB investment banks and private equity megafunds
  • Includes Company DB + Video Library Access (1 year)

Comments (21)

Apr 23, 2020 - 8:03am

Both roles are very different. Try to figure out which one you're most keen on. Can you do well under pressure for 8 hours straight and enjoy it - do S&T. Do you want to be a PPT/Excel master - do IBD.

Exposure will be quite different between the 2, both internally and externally. In S&T you'll be closer to your MDs as they'll be in the office most of the time, but I don't think that you'll deal directly with clients until few years in. On the other hand in IBD, you'll have less exposures to your MDs traveling around, but you'll work with clients earlier on.

Exit opps: IBD takes the cake as it is more general and applicable.

Conversion rate: irrelevant imo, if you're good enough you'll convert.

Apr 23, 2020 - 11:36am

Depends on the end goal. If you are very passionate about the markets, S&T world in the long run.
However, if you see yourself in PE/HF or running your own business, IBD is the right choice for you.

Array

Learn More

300+ video lessons across 6 modeling courses taught by elite practitioners at the top investment banks and private equity funds -- Excel Modeling -- Financial Statement Modeling -- M&A Modeling -- LBO Modeling -- DCF and Valuation Modeling -- ALL INCLUDED + 2 Huge Bonuses.

Learn more
Apr 24, 2020 - 4:17am

BUMP for a serious response on IBD divisions

but from what i know, their EMEA M&A is average - they do have some good mandates though

01/01/2019 - 24/04/2020 - EUR 41,291mn Deal Value across 32 deals (merger market) #18

I think they also have a few average industry groups (Nat Res i think?)

I know their lev fin and acq financing is good; so to are their project financing capabilities

Most Helpful
May 9, 2020 - 3:22pm

I have a few friends at Nomura, so for what it is worth.
M&A is an ok group to join. dealflow is fine - you will be busy and have decent transaction exposure and not much pitching.
in terms of sector groups, NatRes which includes infrastructure is probably the most successful one, followed by Consumer & Retail and TMT.
LevFin is very strong even relative to many BBs on the street. there is no project finance at Nomura, but they have a structured finance team which is a big priority for the firm and they would look to do more in the space.

• Intern in IB - Gen
Jun 19, 2020 - 2:23pm

Echo above. If this is legit and you can go down to the team level, and you really want the "best team" then Nomura LevFin is their best team. Better rep than several BB's and some very smart people. Basically full of Ex-Lehman bankers. There are a couple other cool teams there but that depends if you really can just place anywhere you want or whether you'll just be pumped into the scheme like everyone else.

Imo IBD LevFin

Start Discussion

Total Avg Compensation

May 2021 Investment Banking

• Director/MD (9) $911
  • Vice President (35) $364
  • Associates (193) $233
  • 2nd Year Analyst (109) $151
  • Intern/Summer Associate (96) $145
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (26) $145
  • 1st Year Analyst (397) $132
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (327) $82