Nomura IBD vs S&T London office SA 2021

What are Nomura's strengths in EMEA? I have the option to do a summer internship in IBD or S&T and wondering what would be considered the best option in terms of reputation, exit ops, exposure, etc.

Both roles are very different. Try to figure out which one you’re most keen on. Can you do well under pressure for 8 hours straight and enjoy it - do S&T. Do you want to be a PPT/Excel master - do IBD.

Exposure will be quite different between the 2, both internally and externally. In S&T you’ll be closer to your MDs as they’ll be in the office most of the time, but I don’t think that you’ll deal directly with clients until few years in. On the other hand in IBD, you’ll have less exposures to your MDs traveling around, but you’ll work with clients earlier on.

Exit opps: IBD takes the cake as it is more general and applicable.

Conversion rate: irrelevant imo, if you’re good enough you’ll convert.

Most Helpful

This. Honestly, at the same point in time in the distant past, I had the same answers as the OP (sans offer of course).

Looking back I realize I would have absolutely hated banking and everything about it. This is not to say that I would have loved S&T but it would have fit my personality and what I like much more. Things move, happen, less random busywork, markets changing, always communicating with colleagues, clients, the desk, hustling etc...

To that I will also add if you have met people in both teams and have a particularly positive or negative feeling, to go with it. Hated the bankers and liked the S&T'ers? or vice versa? That says something. Listen to it. People will be the most important thing in your career. Without help or support you (or I or anyone else) ain't getting anywhere...

Good Luck

Your mileage may vary.

I used to do Asia-Pacific PE (kind of like FoF). Now I do something else but happy to try and answer questions on that stuff.

Depends on the end goal. If you are very passionate about the markets, S&T world in the long run.
However, if you see yourself in PE/HF or running your own business, IBD is the right choice for you.

BUMP for a serious response on IBD divisions

but from what i know, their EMEA M&A is average - they do have some good mandates though

01/01/2019 - 24/04/2020 - EUR 41,291mn Deal Value across 32 deals (merger market) #18

I think they also have a few average industry groups (Nat Res i think?)

I know their lev fin and acq financing is good; so to are their project financing capabilities

I have a few friends at Nomura, so for what it is worth. M&A is an ok group to join. dealflow is fine - you will be busy and have decent transaction exposure and not much pitching. in terms of sector groups, NatRes which includes infrastructure is probably the most successful one, followed by Consumer & Retail and TMT. LevFin is very strong even relative to many BBs on the street. there is no project finance at Nomura, but they have a structured finance team which is a big priority for the firm and they would look to do more in the space.

Echo above. If this is legit and you can go down to the team level, and you really want the “best team” then Nomura LevFin is their best team. Better rep than several BB’s and some very smart people. Basically full of Ex-Lehman bankers. There are a couple other cool teams there but that depends if you really can just place anywhere you want or whether you’ll just be pumped into the scheme like everyone else.

Imo IBD LevFin

Asperiores et quaerat enim et qui. Autem vero facere autem autem. Dolorum nemo ad voluptatem. Libero doloribus aut sed labore mollitia assumenda libero. Voluptatem aspernatur minus et doloribus eos velit voluptas.

Similique dicta velit molestias cupiditate quo dolores autem. Fugit temporibus culpa sunt quia reiciendis molestias minima. Provident et debitis eaque illo voluptas. Eum inventore maxime nesciunt dignissimos magni praesentium.

Reprehenderit omnis ipsam aut sunt ullam qui. Praesentium aut a eaque similique. Non nisi iste commodi dolores deleniti reiciendis. Quis error impedit enim iusto hic veritatis. Ut exercitationem ut architecto minus.

Vel fuga repellat eius est aut aperiam dignissimos. Sunt delectus tenetur non aliquam laudantium qui voluptatem. Pariatur vel repudiandae sint qui est aut. Omnis quo dolor cupiditate labore perferendis. Et non placeat alias accusantium odit sapiente. Magni ut assumenda aperiam eos vel dolor deleniti corporis. Qui tenetur sint molestias nihil maxime rerum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”