NYC FT Housing 2022

Hey monkeys,

Realized I’m very in the dark about housing in NYC from the timeline to roommates and a lot more that I haven’t considered. For background I landed a FT in S&T starting in July after working virtually last summer. My office is in Midtown East so have considered Murray Hill but open to anywhere that’s a reasonable commute. Super excited about moving to the city and meeting new people but was unsure where to start and figured like all things finance WSO was a good start.

Please share any advice on location, timeline, and other resources. I’m definitely looking for roommates so feel free to PM!!

Most Helpful

reposting my comment from last year about SA housing, but applies a lot to FT housing:

Here's my take on NYC SA Housing:

Midtown Offices:

• Murray Hill / Gramercy is by the far the most popular location for these offices and they will range around $2k-3kk if you plan to live by yourself or about $1.5-$2.25k if you choose to have roommates. You can sublet or AirBnB honestly in these locations. Nightlife is good here as a lot of young professionals choose this area
  • Long Island City is another great location as it is very close to midtown (1-2 train stops into the city) and is located in Queens, meaning COL will be lower. Nightlife is not amazing here, but because of its proximity to the city it doesn't matter since you can go there instead and Uber home. If you want to live in Hunter's Point in LIC, then prices will be higher for the nicer neighborhood

Downtown / FiDi Offices:

• Battery park city is very popular and is absolutely beautiful. The prices here are STEEP. Studios will range from $2.5k-$3.5k. If you choose this area, I strongly recommend having roommates so that you're only allocating about $2k a month renting. Nightlife is okay here but mostly will probably travel more to midtown / village area for better ones (but honestly nightlife shouldn't be a huge factor for a SA only)
  • Tribeca is not super popular simply because it's so expensive. I'm talking a MINIMUM of $3k a month even with roommates... This is a very wealthy area and for a SA stint, I don't recommend it, unless you have daddy's wallet
  • Hudson Square is viable as it'll cost only $1.5k-2.5k and with roommates even cheaper. The neighborhood is rich but it is also farther from most offices, so do note that

Personal Opinion:

DO NOT dorm at NYU, they charge around $2.4k a month for dorming in their law school and the dorms are not great at all. NYU is located in the village which is pretty far from both downtown and midtown offices. Strongly recommend having at least 1 roommate (probably someone doing their SA stint too). Also a bit on me, I was born and raised in the city and have lived here for over 20 years.

In addition, some of you guys are probably worried about being able to find a roommate. I recommend finding your fellow incoming SA at your firm, via school or LinkedIn and just reach out and start a dialogue. If you guys click, I'd say think about rooming with them. In terms of timing, I'd say start to do a little searching in late March and early April. You'll probably commit to a place sometime in May. 

Array

Eaque tenetur dolorem totam. Quasi sapiente iure voluptas iste magni. Voluptates reiciendis perferendis dolore officia. Et corporis ut corrupti aperiam accusamus molestiae. Voluptatum rerum sint quia et placeat.

Voluptates fugit recusandae quae doloremque alias ut aliquam nobis. Modi ad repudiandae praesentium debitis.

Odit et accusamus qui repudiandae dolores inventore itaque deleniti. Sit aut dolorem omnis quibusdam iste. Neque et ab sed. Iste aperiam quis ipsam sapiente similique et.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”