Pursuing Olympics 2020 instead of IB job...How to stay relevant?

Hello all,

I decided to take a professional contract for track and field instead of trying to pursue a job in IB. Idea is to go for 2020 olympics then pursue an opportunity in IB. What should I be doing to stay relevant for interviewers in the future?

Thank you!

Do you go to a target? If so, you should leverage alumni connections when seeking your role - it's a cool unique story and assuming your resume looks on track (grades, internships, coursework, clubs), then you should be able to utilize those connections to get at least interviews.

There's generally plenty of ex athletes and olympians on wall street, so you might just want to do a fair bit of linkedin stalking and similarly connect with those people, who will probably understand your situation and may be able to offer more concrete guidance about how they swung it.

ruined my sr season from SA stint, but try to defer the start date. PM me becasue im interested in the event, because if you're close enough, definitely worth it. Otherwise CFA, Seeking Alpha (least ideal), PT research (most ideal) could help.

Honestly, you have a pretty cool story going on here. Reach out to people in various IBD firms whether through alums or those you happen to know was involved in sports or enjoy running.. Most important thing is to develop a roster of contacts to keep them in the loop on your professional track & field story

Created a 1-step skincare solution for men. Purchase + reviews appreciated: www.w34th.com

Assuming you have a decent GPA, I would take some time to study and get a solid GMAT score, and then pursue an MBA at a top school after 2020. If you're an Olympian, I'm sure you would have a great shot at a T15 or MBA business schools">M7.

Valid point here.....if you make the Olympics, then you've got a great story. If you don't get in, it will look like you just dicked around for a few years after college....which is not a good look for banking.

I think the only thing you need to do to "remain relevant" is stay up to date on the news. You can study all of the technicals required for interviews before you interview. If anything, going to the Olympics (or even just making an attempt to qualify) is an incredible story that a vast majority of employees in IB will respect. And if people that are interviewing you don't respect that, you wouldn't want to work at that firm anyways.

Most Helpful

Voluptatibus sed pariatur iusto ex quo id. Corrupti eligendi id voluptatem et. Dolore esse consectetur nostrum. Eius et ad quibusdam illum et molestiae consequatur. Reiciendis pariatur voluptas repudiandae autem. Sit in aliquam dolor non.

Aut fugit et nihil distinctio est doloribus blanditiis. Iusto qui occaecati aut pariatur. Aspernatur ipsam eaque veniam nulla perferendis reprehenderit id. Dolorem molestiae et libero est et dolore.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”