I am trying to elicit some help here and ask for everyone's opinions on whether I should quit?
I am from a non-target school and worked really hard to get current job in a M&A group at a tier 1 investment bank in nyc. Right now I am considering quitting after I find a good exit pop (I will never quit without one) and I think that will prob take me 6 months or so to do it, so basically my question is: by the one year mark when I possibly have found myself a good exit opp, should I quit at that one year mark or stick it out for 2 years?
Why I want to quit earlier ( at one year mark) instead of sticking it out for 2 years:
- I do not like the work (frankly, I don't enjoy the daily content of my work, and I also don't care about the work I do)
- I am not good at it (I am not very analytical although I know the basics but I am not a person who is very sensitive around numbers by nature, I know IB doesn't require rocket science math but compared to a more analytical peer, I am not as good as them) and I also don't want to do very analytical work.
- I don't like the lifestyle and I generally don't see myself staying in banking more than 2 years tops, and I have no desire to go into PE or corporate development. I want a more relaxed work environment and a better work and life balance. I know people on this forum will laugh and say I am a loser, if that's what you want to do, so be it. Above are what I want out of honesty and I just don't want to lie here.
- I think my reasons for why banking back in the day is probably not solid reasons: I wanted in because of money and prestige, and now my outlook on life has changed and money and prestige don't matter that much to me anymore. My current priorities:
a. work wise: do what I enjoy and what I am better at doing than other people (or at least will be good at doing)
b. life wise: I wanted to be a more interesting people overall (bankers and other business ppl please no offense, not targeting anyone here) and have a more meaningful life in general (again no offense): since the work in banking I don't really care about, I don't feel a sense of purpose in life, and since the work has taken up so much of my time, I don't have much free time at all to do what I am interested in doing outside of work
c. compensation wise: willing to take a pay check
**Where I want to do next? **
- I possibly want to do early stage VC (not late stage or growth equity), and sure having banking experience is one way to get in but there are other ways to get in too such as working at a startup
- Fundraising/Investor relations at a buy side shop, could be at a PE shop or an Asset Manager or a .
**My question: **
- Based on my question, what should I consider from all aspects before actually taking actions?
- What would you guys advise/recommend?
Thanks, really appreciate it.