Too Late for 2019 Summer Opps?

What's up WSO,

I'm a sophomore at a semi-target in the northeast, and I only have one internship experience in a small shop doing PWM. Didn't really get screened for many opportunities within FO (probably due to having around a 3.3 GPA).

I've just been hustling and networking my ass off and I have found a few opportunities where I've been referred to a position by my mentor. In case I don't secure anything and since most BB programs or deadlines have past, what or where should I be looking at to secure a sophomore summer internship and still be able to transition for an IB internship for junior year summer?

You need to get that GPA up, definitely over a 3.5/3.6 but a 3.7/3.8 to be safe.

For this summer aim at small sub-10 people IB shops in various cities. Look at other cities like Philly, Boston, DC to find small shops needing cheap help

“If you ain’t first, you’re last!” - GOAT

Thanks for the input, but is it actually possible to transition to IB for junior year summer or would I be pegged as “finance” or “compliance” for the rest of my career?

I have OCR coffee chats coming up with MS for finance and compliance for opps this summer; so it’s very possible for me to secure something; I just want to know the answer to the question in the paragraph above given IB is where I want to be after graduation

In my personal experience, it was no issue, I was able to speak to relevant skills I learned in my more MO/BO roles and why IB. Plus at a big well-known firm, you can be networking with people in the area you want. (i.e. IB) I think that you should be in a great position to apply for IB after a summer in a less FO role at one of the big banks. Obviously, if you can land an IB internship at the firm you want then go for it, but its rare and a summer in a MO/BO role is definitely not useless.

Most Helpful

Network, network, and network some more...

The more shit you throw at the wall, the more likely something will stick. Don't waste your time applying firms where you have no connections to - once they see the 3.3 GPA they will throw your resume in the "no" pile.

Shit sucks to hear, but man, I was in the exact same position as you. Tap into your alumni network via LinkedIn, network with parents friends, friends parents, friends parents friends, literally anyone you can meet with. Try to book someone everyday of the weekday, buy them lunch or coffee, bring a notebook, and then finish the meeting asking for opportunities. EVENTUALLY shit will stick to the wall.

Keep hustling man, I know it may seem like you hit a dead end but keep going. Find a way to win.

Best of luck...

Deserunt enim placeat dolorem commodi. Accusamus atque nihil distinctio rem ipsa deleniti. Aut quos soluta repudiandae et. Dolores ut aut dolore ea.

Ullam ea magni harum sit sed deserunt labore. Dolorum eum neque saepe minima velit. Culpa autem qui veritatis ut eligendi assumenda ut. Praesentium et minus ut labore minus.

Recusandae quia sequi aliquid culpa. Voluptas nihil esse nihil fugiat laboriosam ut. Est omnis quaerat rerum nihil. Ducimus eligendi consequatur maiores. Consequuntur voluptatem vel necessitatibus et voluptatem quaerat repellendus quas.

Ipsa ducimus consequatur voluptatem excepturi omnis perspiciatis accusamus. Ratione qui qui sed quia ea.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”