US is back to 1,000 COVID deaths A DAY

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2021-08-1…

The U.S. South remains the epicenter of the latest outbreak, with Florida reporting a record of nearly 26,000 new cases last week, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Looks like South trusted Qanon Facebook posts more than scientists and doctors.  Sad but not unexpected.  And before you call me a comminist libtard, I think Operation Warp Speed was one of Trump's best moments!

Most Helpful

Last time I looked, Florida is 20th in vaccinations per capita and 26th in overall deaths per capita, despite having the 2nd oldest population. During the summer of 2020, case loads spiked in the south because it's really, really hot and people congregate inside when it's really hot. In the winter, caseloads spiked in the northern states because it's really really cold and people congregate inside when it's really cold. 

If case loads are exploding in Florida and Florida has a high vaccination rate, what, specifically, is your critique of Florida?

Oh yeah, and since you are dutifully non-partisan, why does your critique and the critique of the mainstream media never seem to include Louisiana, with its Democrat governor and high black population?

Array

I believe that Drumpfy erred in using Florida as the poster child for current day COVID recklessness. That title correctly belongs to Mississippi, Louisiana, and Alabama, in that order. There are two groups of states that have had the highest mortality rates: 1) northeastern states like New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut and 2) the aforementioned Deep South states that have been recalcitrant to become vaccinated. Group 1 states had high mortality rates because they were the first to encounter European COVID strains at a time when no one really understood how to treat COVID-19 in an ICU situation. We now have far more protocols for treating it (steroid therapy, positioning of the body when on a ventilator, not using the ventilator at the first possible juncture), and these protocols make COVID-19 far more survivable than it was in early 2020. In contrast to the more unavoidable undercurrents that befell the Group 1 states, the Group 2 states are currently making an unforced error by refusing vaccinations. Florida's numbers are high on an absolute basis, but are actually par for the course on a relative basis. It's just that Florida is a big state. Drumpfy criticizes Florida because Ron DeSantis has turned himself into an anti-COVID protocol and anti-Fauci lightning rod, which is more true than the notion that FL is doing all that poorly in the grand scheme of things. When I checked last week, 3 out of the 9 merchandise SKUs on DeSantis' website were anti-COVID protocol or Fauci. A lot of his messaging hinges on this, which I think is unfortunate.

With that settled, if you choose to believe that the Group 1 and Group 2 disasters are equal in their unavoidability, then I will have to strongly dissent.

EDIT: As one important caveat, I have to rake Fmr. Gov. Andrew Cuomo over the coals for the obvious nursing home stuff. That was stupidity at rarely paralleled levels. That was an unforced error, although much of it was out of Northeastern governors' control (we were facing a respiratory illness that was difficult at the time for us to treat).

kellycriterion

I believe that Drumpfy erred in using Florida as the poster child for current day COVID recklessness. That title correctly belongs to Mississippi, Louisiana, and Alabama, in that order. There are two groups of states that have had the highest mortality rates: 1) northeastern states like New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut and 2) the aforementioned Deep South states that have been recalcitrant to become vaccinated. Group 1 states had high mortality rates because they were the first to encounter European COVID strains at a time when no one really understood how to treat COVID-19 in an ICU situation. We now have far more protocols for treating it (steroid therapy, positioning of the body when on a ventilator, not using the ventilator at the first possible juncture), and these protocols make COVID-19 far more survivable than it was in early 2020. In contrast to the more unavoidable undercurrents that befell the Group 1 states, the Group 2 states are currently making an unforced error by refusing vaccinations. Florida's numbers are high on an absolute basis, but are actually par for the course on a relative basis. It's just that Florida is a big state. Drumpfy criticizes Florida because Ron DeSantis has turned himself into an anti-COVID protocol and anti-Fauci lightning rod, which is more true than the notion that FL is doing all that poorly in the grand scheme of things. When I checked last week, 3 out of the 9 merchandise SKUs on DeSantis' website were anti-COVID protocol or Fauci. A lot of his messaging hinges on this, which I think is unfortunate.

With that settled, if you choose to believe that the Group 1 and Group 2 disasters are equal in their unavoidability, then I will have to strongly dissent.

EDIT: As one important caveat, I have to rake Fmr. Gov. Andrew Cuomo over the coals for the obvious nursing home stuff. That was stupidity at rarely paralleled levels. That was an unforced error, although much of it was out of Northeastern governors' control (we were facing a respiratory illness that was difficult at the time for us to treat).

Who are you debating with? I'm vaccinated and said absolutely nothing critical of the northeastern states. All I did was defend Florida from a bad faith attack.

Florida is one or America's top Covid performers. Florida kept schools open last year, is doing well economically, has high vaccination rates, and had a large population influx. Population adjusted, Florida is performing fine. Anti-Covid protocols should be lambasted. We have a preemptive cure for Covid: the vaccine. The vaccine is free and ubiquitous. Get it and you are protected from serious illness or death. Don't get it and you assume the risk. There is no further public policy response needed from govt. The cure is available. Get it or don't. Lockdowns and masking are political theater of people who are desperate to look like they are in control. They aren't. 

Array

Can someone please help me understand why conservative governors are withholding educational grants from school districts who impose mask mandates? Children cannot be vaccinated and distance learning is not a thing this year, so this is about the only tool they have. 

Can someone then explain to me how that same party fancies themselves as the party of pro-life and family values.

"I don't know how to explain to you that you should care about other people."

I can't believe it's halfway through August 2021 and some people are still obsessed with COVID and letting it run their lives.  Get vaccinated if you want to, don't get vaccinated if you don't want to, and/or just continue to self isolate at home if you're really that afraid.  I don't have a crystal ball but given what's going on in places like Israel or Iceland I imagine we're going to be stuck with this seasonally, like a flu 2.0. 

You are scared of dying—and, tell me, is the kind of life you lead really any different than being dead?

- Seneca   

We are going to have 100M+ people hitting 6+ months vaxxed just in time for fall and winter. My guess is less than half of those 100M get a booster shot. Judging by Israel and the UK, cases are almost to sure to hit record highs across the northeast regardless of vaccination rate.  I don’t see how this doesn’t result in business closures and other lockdown laws given the way the leadership for most major city leans. 

Sooner or later, the left will need to come to terms with (1) vaccine efficacy wanes over time (2) Unless booster shots are mandated after ~6 months for all Americans, we will never reach “full vaccination” and (3) Vaccinations do little to stop the spread of infections, cases will continue regardless and some deaths will result from that. 

My hope is that we eventually reach a point where the at risk are getting boosters every 6 months and the rest of us go on with our lives. It’s unreasonable to believe people in their 20s and 30s will voluntarily get boosters twice a year when they are such low risk. Who knows, maybe we’ll see booster mandates. didn’t think we’d ever see vaccine mandates and we’re there now. 

Dolores repellendus veritatis quo natus. Aliquid voluptas ut nam ut aliquam iure quia. Rerum explicabo rerum quisquam autem ut saepe. Harum eaque sint architecto autem accusamus ipsam veniam. Assumenda nihil ut ducimus quis.

Consectetur animi voluptates ea quod eius accusantium. Quod et ut consequuntur magnam laboriosam. Ducimus in illum blanditiis sit asperiores odit. Eos itaque in ex sint.

Velit quia qui qui nam. Vel dolores vitae aliquam laudantium.

Dignissimos et et soluta officiis. Beatae corporis voluptas adipisci magnam officiis omnis eum. Quia aliquam debitis eligendi autem explicabo eos qui.

Et sint eos facilis accusamus est. Vel a vero esse possimus ut non. Est qui dolores velit ut.

Corrupti sit repellat molestiae quidem est laudantium. Tempore qui sint doloremque non. Reprehenderit vero et accusantium. Deserunt corporis eius dolores ratione ut.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”