Why Banking in 2018?

From what I notice on the forums, so many people think that going into banking will make them rich and happy after they go through this grind. This is particularly obvious on my college campus. I attend one of HYP and I see so many people walking into this field looking it as a great "career-starter". Personally, it would be foolish to write of any high-earning career due to the unpredictability of getting a job, but it is by no stretch what I want to do at all.

I am currently a computer science major and the only thing I would remotely choose is to work at a quant hedge fund. What entices people to "just go into banking" and not actually find a more specific field people are interested in? For those saying they hope to use this to go into PE or VC in the future, why not gain an actual skill in school and work your way through a good tech firm or consulting, which actually builds some of the skills you need to problem solve and build companies as a leader? Also, you get paid more working at a google or a facebook, etc. as a technical worker than as an analyst at any bank no matter how competitive. You also work much less hours and get many more perks.

P.S.: Some of the smartest people I know are going into banking, it's just that I am puzzled why they gladly jump into banking when hedge funds nowadays want more quants and cs guys and PE firms are such a stretch to get into to begin with.

$200-350k? Yeah right I have friends going into Google/FB/Apple and even then they're getting $150-200k. Please let me know which companies are paying upto $350k.

"highest paid banking analyst will only make 125k with bonus a year"....actually CVP you can clear upto $230k (85k + 90-100k bonus + 50k signing) and the average BB 1st year makes around 140k which isn't shabby at all with EBs hovering around 160k.

Not sure where you're getting your stats but at least make it informed

Best Response

Given that the school you go to itself is a liberal arts bubble, keep your bubble-headed ass out of here. I have been born and raised in Silicon Valley, my parents working as software engineers, and literally, every one of my high school friends' parents did the same. I thought we were all stacked until I go to college on the East Coast where most of my friends' parents are in finance. I am a pauper compared to them. When you're 40 years old as a VP/MD banker you'll be making much more than a 40-year old director in a software role at a top FAANG. And don't give me that bullshit about elite startup pays more, startups pay pennies on the dollar. You're thinking of a Silicon Valley version of an Elite Boutique which doesn't exist. Everyone wants to go to a FAANG when they're older, its just the kids who are obsessed with startups because they "want to make a difference" but really just end up going under. And 40-50-year-old senior software developers in Silicon Valley make 200-350k because they don't do bonuses, your numbers are way off chief. Comp increases wildly in the financial services as you progress in your career but in Silicon Valley, it stays the same unless you start a startup yourself and it happens to be one of the millions that make it big.

But that's just the money side of it, and that's the problem. If you want to write code, go write fucking code. If you want to work in AI, go fucking work in AI. If you want to work in M&A, guess what : go fucking work in M&A. It's not a competition, it's doing whatever you want to do. And the financial services and tech fields are wildly different as they utilize wildly different skillsets. If you want to hone in on your social/leadership/people-oriented skills go with finance. If you want to focus on technicals/straight-forwardness/solo type of skills, go with tech. The problem I have with you current HYP kids is that you always are looking for a way to say your cock is bigger than the next guys. Whether its proving you have more money, work in a more "intellectual" job, or whatever. Just do what you fucking want to do my guy and let others do what they want.

Erm, no one's making $350k as a new grad product/technical person in top tech (or even quant finance). The highest you'll see is like $200-250k first year if you include signing bonus (e.g. FB's 70-100k top level returner signing bonus, quant shops etc).

Most big tech co offers are $130-180k "liquid" recurring comp (base, bonus and vesting sellable RSUs), not far from the dispersion of 1st year banking comp - Centerview is a pretty big outlier.

The unicorns handing out big RSU offers are effectively just giving out lottery tickets that may or may not be worth anything.

I will answer these questions one at a time...

What entices people to "just go into banking" and not actually find a more specific field people are interested in?

There are lots of ways to be involved in "fields" beyond being a principle. Do you have to be a physician to run a company that manages hospitals? No, but you are still very much involved in the healthcare field. Banking, allows you to build a fundamental skill set that you can apply to any field that you are interested in.

For those saying they hope to use this to go into PE or VC in the future, why not gain an actual skill in school and work your way through a good tech firm or consulting, which actually builds some of the skills you need to problem solve and build companies as a leader?

Do you think bankers don't solve problems? Do you think bankers aren't providing advice to CEO's who are building companies? They are doing both of those things on a much broader level than someone involved with one "tech firm." Consulting and Banking are very similar in this sense however, banking is transaction oriented while consulting is project oriented.

Also, you get paid more working at a google or a facebook, etc. as a technical worker than as an analyst at any bank no matter how competitive. You also work much less hours and get many more perks.

This is correct at the junior level. However, as you advance at a google or a facebook your compensation plateaus. Bankers, at senior levels, have a theoretically unlimited cap to their salary as it is a function of how much business they generate. You're also right about the hours but I will say there is something to be said for having to work 100+ hour weeks and still generating clean work product. It shows fortitude and resilience that your precious fucking coders have not had to demonstrate on a consistent basis. That is valuable.

P.S.: Hedge funds nowadays do want more Quants and CS guys. The Hedge Fund industry is incredibly saturated and there is a proliferation of mediocrity. As the industry contracts and only the strongest funds are left, what do you think is going to happen to all those fancy "quants and cs guys" that got hired during the expansion period?

Are you suggesting that low-level analysts and bankers are more valuable to hedge funds nowadays than individuals who can code and produce algorithms to trade products that the hedge funds use to make money? In the era of high speed and automated trading?

Moreover, at a google or facebook the better you do, the more likely you will be compensated for the success of your product. Heard of Anthony Lewandowski? Man got paid $120 million for his work heading Waymo as an engineer at Google.

Moreover, the funds doing the best nowadays are the ones hiring more and more CS majors: DE Shaw (Bezos worked here), Two Sigma, Citadel, etc. Without CS majors making the algorithms that these firms trade with, they would have been toast by now in this current market.

I think he was suggesting that once the industry contracts, the strong hedge funds will want employees that have worked in and understand business/finance. Why are you comparing these two fields anyway? You're basically suggesting that people who are interested in finance would be better off getting a comp sci degree and working in a tech firm, right? Have you ever thought that perhaps the people interested in banking/finance aren't at all interested in tech? You also neglected one of the other popular exits from banking/PE...start ups. I think we would have a hard time finding a start up that wanted to hire a programmer as their CFO or partner. You're comparing apples to oranges.

Assuming you're not deliberately trolling people, I'll attempt an answer.

Banking and consulting are popular career destinations for a lot of Type-A personalities because they offer greater optionality than just about any other entry-level position. You can't predict how the world turns any better than anyone else, but you probably feel technology is going to be ever-present and ever-changing, so acquiring a CS degree at a top school (unless it's Yale, in which case, the CS department is something of a joke) and working in tech feels like a safe move to you. I suspect you also enjoy coding, so the thought of getting paid well straight out of school to do something you'd probably do anyway appeals to you greatly. I get that. That makes sense.

Let's talk about the short term. What if you didn't enjoy coding? What would you do after graduating? Would you want to work in marketing, HR, communications or some other function at Google? Would you want to do business development? Maybe you'd care about policy. Would you take a low-paid role as a Congressional staffer to gain some legislative experience? Or would you try your hand at graduate school so you could get some research published and become a policy wonk?

As an engineer, you care how things work. You care why things work. And you aim to understand them. But if the things that stir your mind to action aren't technical in nature, but strategic, economic, regulatory, financial or social in nature, you're going to get little to no satisfaction from an entry-level technical role. That said, the preponderance of entry-level positions are menial by nature. I'm sure that a HYP CS grad contributes more on average to their firms (assuming they are in a coding position) than analysts at Lazard or McKinsey, but analysts at top banks and consultancies know they are 'paying their dues' for some purpose. That purpose isn't clear to most when they start in the business. But you only really get one or two times in your life to be trained by someone. In the case of investment bankers and strategy consultants, they're being trained to run companies or invest in them. You only really get a chance to be trained in that broad skill set coming out of undergrad or coming out of business school, and I assure you, it's better to bite the bullet at 22 than at 28.

Further, while the payout from building a business from scratch may be higher than investing in one, advising it, or running a company someone else founded, that payout is also far, far less likely. It's significantly easier to invest in companies than to build them. And it's significantly easier to manage an established business than to create one. While you can make the argument that a lot of leaders in tech today came up through the ranks, a huge percentage had to found the companies they lead to get the chance to do the work I cared about at age 22. And the career path at larger tech companies is getting drawn out considerably. It's not like the guys who are 40 today are leaving or retiring tomorrow. There are only so many C-suite level positions and the space is going to grow increasingly crowded. A lot of those positions, by the way (CFO, CHRO, Chief Strategy Officer, General Counsel, Chief Marketing Officer, Chief Development Officer, Head of Sales, etc.) are rarely filled by technologists. They're tech-savvy, but not coders, so I think there is a greater career risk of being pigeonholed as an engineer who doesn't understand the 'business side' of the company.

Two years at the beginning of your career spent at Goldman Sachs or Bain alleviates that concern for the rest of your life. I've known people who did two years at Goldman 20 years ago who still bring it up like it was last week. It gives you a lot of credibility when discussing a range of corporate issues. I know a lot of people at FAANG companies who don't know much about the way the company works, how it's viewed by the market, or really why executive decisions are made. That's a problem for getting promoted, because at some point, you are no longer going to get to code every day. At some point, you have to hire and manage a team. At some point, you have to understand the budgeting process for funding your team. You need to be able to create reasonably accurate projections on your team's growth. And you need to sell your vision for your team internally to the people who control the purse strings.

These are the skills you learn in banking and consulting. I left banking at one of the banks I mentioned to move into consulting because I appreciated the concept of optionality. While the pay might be slightly lower initially, the medium- and long-run compensation and career implications more than make up for it. Private equity might consolidate at some point, but GPs will always make great money. Investment banking and strategy consulting are already changing a lot from when I started, but MDs are still making bank (though not as much as they once did).

Maybe you can do that through tech as well, but there's greater risk. If you want to make millions, PE is still the surest way to do so. Otherwise, you need to get enough RSUs from your company (and hope the company does REALLY well) to get you there. Your salary is never going to do that. And while $200k is a lot of money to most people, I promise you that it's less than you'd imagine, especially in San Francisco or New York.

I'm not trying to talk you out of pursuing a career in tech. But all businesses are essentially technology businesses at some level anymore. Goldman employs more technologists by far than they do bankers. You can work in tech anywhere. But only at a 'tech company' will you ever have a shot at being anything besides CIO, CISO, CTO or some variant of that. I think that's likely to change in the next 10 years, but it hasn't yet.

If you can't see the benefits of the skills you would acquire in high finance or consulting, don't pursue those fields. At the same time, though, if you can't see why others might want that for themselves, then you wouldn't make a good strategist anyway.

1.No one thinks going into banking is going to make them rich and happy. What they do know which you apparently don't, is that it is a great stepping stone if you want to do anything else whether that's law school, MBA, corp dev, corp strat, or even working for a FAANG (Sundar Pichai).

1. Finance and tech require two completely different set of skills. History students at top universities can't program but Investment Banks are more than happy to take them. They are two completly different paths that aren't related at all. Comparing the prospects of consulting vs IB is more relevant.

3.Pay in IB continually goes up where Directors are making $700K a year, how many 35 year old programmers make $700K a year? My guess is not a lot.

4.Don't get me wrong, tech is a great career field but if you can't program and aren't interested in tech, investment banking/consulting is still by far the best way to start off a career if you want to be successful in life.

jackdonaghy26:

3.Pay in IB continually goes up where Directors are making $700K a year, how many 35 year old programmers make $700K a year? My guess is not a lot.

I'd wager a guess that the number of Directors in banking is similar to the number of people high enough in the technical ladder (senior staff/principal at Google for e.g.) or engineering management ladder (~sr directors or junior VPs) making that much are pretty similar. Most people crash out or tap out of banking before Director. Most people stall at a mid-level position in tech instead of getting promoted.

joedaddy179:

P.S.: Some of the smartest people I know are going into banking...

What? There's no way that's true. Maybe the smartest Econ / Social Science people but definitely not the smartest Math / CS majors.

Unless you're at Yale...

I've not heard of any startups or tech firms in that compensation range. On the flip side, though some large, undergrad-hiring, well-known quant funds can hit the lower end of that range (Citadel notably hitting the higher end -- I know a graduate from school who ended up there with that sort of package), you must keep in mind how difficult it is to land a job in HF, specifically quant. I think your folly here is assuming that most CS majors realistically have a chance at working at Two Sigma, D.E. Shaw, and other funds of their ilk. The reality couldn't be any more different.

Though lots of HFs have formal programs, most hire extremely sporadically. Jobs are far more plentiful in IB, so naturally people gravitate towards them. Of course, they're also a fantastic springboard into other areas of finance, an MBA, or a Fortune 500. Some may still apply to HFs, but the major ones that recruit across a broad spectrum of universities are pretty brutal, and a lot of more niche shops (lesser known, but just as spectacular) will only hire from one or two specific schools, looking for only a handful of positions to fill.

Illum accusantium aut consequatur dolor ipsam amet dicta ipsum. Eaque perspiciatis nihil ut. Quaerat et voluptatibus aut. Molestiae eveniet iure esse nulla aperiam maiores.

Ducimus veritatis consequuntur dolor sunt. Quasi temporibus qui debitis aut laudantium unde mollitia. Eius numquam similique qui in. Dolorem quisquam voluptate maxime non natus voluptate. Ducimus non eos aut aliquid pariatur voluptatem. Aliquam alias quisquam aut possimus. Aspernatur dolor ducimus velit velit consequatur natus minima.

Et dolor sit nihil numquam. Omnis porro ut ratione ut voluptatum consectetur.

Sint molestias doloremque rerum quo aut earum et. Eaque tenetur facere saepe alias in. Aut unde quisquam velit aperiam unde asperiores. Delectus dolorem alias occaecati voluptas. Quod itaque occaecati ut non.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”