• Sharebar

I know this topic was posted before, but it's been a while and a lot has changed recently. I'm looking to hear primarily from active prop traders and those with first hand knowledge and experience; what are some of the best prop firms out there right now, and why? how has HFT and black box/grey box trading affected these firms' strategies and profitability? What are they now looking for in a new hire? and of course... chicago vs new york vs other: what's the best city for prop trading?

Comments (205)

• Brady4MVP's picture

I think the top quant kids at the elite colleges who want to work in trading/quant research all gun for the same group of elite firms: DE Shaw, citadel, jane street, getco, hudson river, jump, tower research, maybe a few others. If they can get offers from all of them, DE Shaw and citadel would easily be the top 2 choices since they offer awesome compensation, great brand, and routinely get some of the smartest college students in the country.

• In reply to Brady4MVP
    theprestige's picture

jjc1122 wrote:
    I think the top quant kids at the elite colleges who want to work in trading/quant research all gun for the same group of elite firms: DE Shaw, citadel, jane street, getco, hudson river, jump, tower research, maybe a few others. If they can get offers from all of them, DE Shaw and citadel would easily be the top 2 choices since they offer awesome compensation, great brand, and routinely get some of the smartest college students in the country.

a few others being AQR, Two Sigma, and some of the top prop shops (DRW/SIG/Optiver/IMC)?

• In reply to theprestige
    Brady4MVP's picture

theprestige wrote:
    jjc1122 wrote:

a few others being AQR, Two Sigma, and some of the top prop shops (DRW/SIG/Optiver/IMC)?

AQR and Two Sigma definitely. I personally don't consider the other prop firms to be in the same category as de shaw/citadel/aqr/two sigma. They're awesome places, no doubt, but the quality of people they hire is on a different level. The people i knew who worked at the firms i listed were math/CS geniuses from MIT, harvard, stanford, etc. One of my good friends was the #1 CS student at MIT undergrad, worked at microsoft for a few years, then D.E. Shaw. He left to launch a startup, but it didn't work out, so now he's at two sigma. I once asked him if he was the smartest guy at d.e. shaw, and he laughed and said, "to be honest, i would say i was about average. the people there were just scary."

• In reply to Brady4MVP
    lingua_franca's picture

Quote:
    AQR and Two Sigma definitely. I personally don't consider the other prop firms to be in the same category as de shaw/citadel/aqr/two sigma. They're awesome places, no doubt, but the quality of people they hire is on a different level. The people i knew who worked at the firms i listed were math/CS geniuses from MIT, harvard, stanford, etc. One of my good friends was the #1 CS student at MIT undergrad, worked at microsoft for a few years, then D.E. Shaw. He left to launch a startup, but it didn't work out, so now he's at two sigma. I once asked him if he was the smartest guy at d.e. shaw, and he laughed and said, "to be honest, i would say i was about average. the people there were just scary."

to be honest ur friend's resume before D.E.Shaw was not very impressive.

• In reply to lingua_franca
    happypantsmcgee's picture

lingua_franca wrote:
    Quote:

to be honest ur friend's resume before D.E.Shaw was not very impressive.

Yea man, number one comp sci major at MIT and a stint at Microsoft? What a dumbass

If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses - Henry Ford

• trade4size's picture

Whats wrong with Microsoft? This country needs more people with new ideating being innovative and less people in finance if we want to continue to thrive in the long run. Its not a good sign when everyone runs to the same exit which in this case is banking/trading.

"Oh the ladies ever tell you that you look like a fucking optical illusion" - Frank Slaughtery 25th Hour.

• trade4size's picture

this thread is a joke. Mods please shut it down?

"Oh the ladies ever tell you that you look like a fucking optical illusion" - Frank Slaughtery 25th Hour.

• In reply to absinthe
    Brady4MVP's picture

absinthe wrote:
    GoodBread wrote:
    Would it be possible to add a prestige rating to each of these firms, on a scale of 100?

It's basically supposed to be ranked according to perceived comp / prestige, although take that with a grain of salt. You can be reasonably certain that GETCO is more prestigious than say Belvedere, but between say Optiver or IMC it's really a wash.

In terms of selectivity, GETCO is the toughest prop firm to get into (i'm not including quant hedge funds like de shaw, citadel, aqr, two sigma).

compensation, who knows. I know a guy who made $300K including bonus at optiver his first year out of college. and a few guys at jump who were making $500K/year in their mid-late 20's. but it really depends on the person, group, how well the firm is doing, etc. GETCO supposedly has insane compensation, but it's all hearsay.

• In reply to absinthe
    Gomez Addams's picture

absinthe wrote:
    GoodBread wrote:
    Would it be possible to add a prestige rating to each of these firms, on a scale of 100?

It's basically supposed to be ranked according to perceived comp / prestige, although take that with a grain of salt. You can be reasonably certain that GETCO is more prestigious than say Belvedere, but between say Optiver or IMC it's really a wash.

This list is useless. I know that you put a lot of effort into it, and it might help someone make a good choice in their career. But the manager interviewing you wants to know what kind of profits you will generate compared to the average. Think like a trader. The best trader I know, personally, was a head trader at one of the firms you have listed somewhere at the top and is now the head trader at one of the firms listed near the bottom of this list. And you have never heard of the guy- guaranteed. But would he hire you? If you go in worried about making at least the average comp, measured on a per hour basis compared to other prestigious firms….he will have left the room before you can finish the sentence.

• In reply to absinthe
    Gomez Addams's picture

absinthe wrote:
    GoodBread wrote:

This list is useless. I know that you put a lot of effort into it, and it might help someone make a good choice in their career. But the manager interviewing you wants to know what kind of profits you will generate compared to the average. Think like a trader. The best trader I know, personally, was a head trader at one of the firms you have listed somewhere at the top and is now the head trader at one of the firms listed near the bottom of this list. And you have never heard of the guy- guaranteed. But would he hire you? If you go in worried about making at least the average comp, measured on a per hour basis compared to other prestigious firms….he will have left the room before you can finish the sentence.

• In reply to Gomez Addams
    monkeysama's picture

Gomez Addams wrote:
    absinthe wrote:
    GoodBread wrote:

It's not useless. It's just.....look it's a dumb bar napkin approach to figuring out where to apply. No one should put a whole lot of belief in it, just apply to everything on the list if you want to get into trading. That's what I think anyway.

• In reply to GoodBread
    Jorgé's picture

GoodBread wrote:
    All jokes aside, do any firms stateside focus on commodity or STIR futures? It seems like almost all those firms either do options or scalp equities.

Bump for this

People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis, you can't trust people Jeremy

• In reply to Jorgé
    absinthe's picture

Jorgé wrote:
    GoodBread wrote:
    All jokes aside, do any firms stateside focus on commodity or STIR futures? It seems like almost all those firms either do options or scalp equities.

Bump for this

8. SIG
    15. DC Energy
    16. Louis Dreyfus Commodities
    17. Trafigura
    25. Consolidated Trading
    31. Constellation Energy
    32. BP Energy Trading

• In reply to monkeysama
    Gomez Addams's picture

monkeysama wrote:
    Gomez Addams wrote:
    absinthe wrote:
    GoodBread wrote:

It's not useless. It's just.....look it's a dumb bar napkin approach to figuring out where to apply. No one should put a whole lot of belief in it, just apply to everything on the list if you want to get into trading. That's what I think anyway.

I see your point. However, once you have been in the industry for a while, and know what goes on from the inside, trying to rank firms is pointless. Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that it is more about the manager or head trader that you are working under. That is very true, but it is also something that has to be experienced to be appreciated. And if you are looking for your first job in the industry- the firm that hires you is the best firm to work for.

• anontrader's picture

absinthe, where would you put bank HFT (say goldman) in comparison to the prop firms? My own impression is that I'd probably take the top 3-4 props on that list over goldman, but probably goldman over any of the others. Any idea if that's reasonable?

• trazer985's picture

My firm is the best in the world :) I ranked it number 1 because of the following factors:

It's not on the radar of all the insecure people that only want to trade because they don't know how to impress people with personality.

I focus on making my grass as green as it can be, if your's is greener then well done.

It's taken me in from nothing, and trains me up. I don't care if the pay doesn't make me the richest 25 year old in the world. It's given me the potential to make as much as I can (literally). At the moment I'm learning, and I'm worth nothing. i'm grateful they pay me enough to live a decent life off and see the world.

This thread was destined for fail, as soon as the adjective "best" was used.

Remember the basics of life and money:

Definition of salary/bonus: The least amount of money someone has to pay you to keep you doing the job you do.

The only time you're paid what you're worth is when you run your own show. Until that time you're the statue, not the pigeon.

Net worth when t = birth, 0, when t = death, 0. Would you work in a salt mine in Siberia 14 hours a day for 3 million a year? (I can honestly say I wouldn't). Life is about how you live it. Give me an office full of humans, fun, dark sense of humour and competitive without being backstabby, that treats me for who I am and wants to make the most out of me, over some target hitting "success is etc. etc." insecure kid in a suit that pays me more after he screams at me.

• In reply to trazer985
    SLO89's picture

trazer985 wrote:
    My firm is the best in the world :) I ranked it number 1 because of the following factors:

It's not on the radar of all the insecure people that only want to trade because they don't know how to impress people with personality.

I focus on making my grass as green as it can be, if your's is greener then well done.

It's taken me in from nothing, and trains me up. I don't care if the pay doesn't make me the richest 25 year old in the world. It's given me the potential to make as much as I can (literally). At the moment I'm learning, and I'm worth nothing. i'm grateful they pay me enough to live a decent life off and see the world.

Definition of salary/bonus: The least amount of money someone has to pay you to keep you doing the job you do.

The only time you're paid what you're worth is when you run your own show. Until that time you're the statue, not the pigeon.

Net worth when t = birth, 0, when t = death, 0. Would you work in a salt mine in Siberia 14 hours a day for 3 million a year? (I can honestly say I wouldn't). Life is about how you live it. Give me an office full of humans, fun, dark sense of humour and competitive without being backstabby, that treats me for who I am and wants to make the most out of me, over some target hitting "success is etc. etc." insecure kid in a suit that pays me more after he screams at me.

Well put.

• In reply to trazer985
    absinthe's picture

trazer985 wrote:

Man, you've changed my perspective on life so much.

Tomorrow, I begin my new life by moving to China and becoming a subsistence farmer.

• In reply to trazer985
    monkeysama's picture

trazer985 wrote:

Of course, net worth is only important in the middle, when you're trying to get laid. Poverty is the "fat chicks" of men.

• absinthe's picture

From personal sources, I know both Jump and GETCO pay ridiculously well. Better than SIG/Optiver/DRW/IMC, actually. In fact, at the entry level they probably pay more than JSC, although at the higher levels I'm sure JSC pays more on average than Jump.

• trade4size's picture

This thread is retarded on so many levels. Absinthe I find it funny how you never have anything to add about any of the things going on in the market all you are concerned with is minor firm differences. You probably lucked into your position because you knew how to answer some brainteasers and went to a good school. BIG DEAL. That isnt going to make you a sucessful trader.

Can someone please make this thread disappear?

• In reply to trade4size
    absinthe's picture

trade4size wrote:
    This thread is retarded on so many levels. Absinthe I find it funny how you never have anything to add about any of the things going on in the market all you are concerned with is minor firm differences. You probably lucked into your position because you knew how to answer some brainteasers and went to a good school. BIG DEAL. That isnt going to make you a sucessful trader.

A "sucessful" trader?

I wouldn't call having two or three times as much capital per trader minor differences, but whatever.

• In reply to absinthe

absinthe wrote:
    trade4size wrote:

A "sucessful" trader?

I wouldn't call having two or three times as much capital per trader minor differences, but whatever.

Absinthe...Just let the fucking thread die...please. Glad you got a job, go make money, blah blah blah enough

If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses - Henry Ford

• In reply to absinthe
    monkeysama's picture

absinthe wrote:
    trade4size wrote:

A "sucessful" trader?

Like my dad says, everyone wants to be smart and everyone wants a little ass, but no one wants a little smartass.

• Jerome Marrow's picture

Let's hope they even recruit at your school because there is a short list of 3-4 schools that compromise the majority of recruiting for those 2 firms. On top of that, there is not going to be any significant difference in compensation, just like at every shop, despite people being unable to get that through their skulls.

• In reply to shorttheworld

shorttheworld wrote:
    this thread gives me an aneurysm and makes me want to hunt half of you down on this thread and murder both you and your families

Whatever dude, its not like you're an expert on prop firms...

• cashnhonies's picture

I don't know why everyone is making such a big deal about these rankings, but then again, I'm new to the whole scene so Sig's list is really helpful.

there are so many sketchy trading firms out there that having a solid list of companies you know you can apply to and won't get screwed is really helpful.

thanks

• In reply to cashnhonies
    Jerome Marrow's picture

cashnhonies wrote:
    I don't know why everyone is making such a big deal about these rankings, but then again, I'm new to the whole scene so Sig's list is really helpful.

there are so many sketchy trading firms out there that having a solid list of companies you know you can apply to and won't get screwed is really helpful.

thanks

I think people are more having an issue with an ordered list that isn't really based on anything, filled with inaccuracies, and written by somebody that hasn't worked at any of those firms. The variance in trading styles, markets, payout/compensation structures, training periods, individuals desks, etc. are all so varied that makes it impossible to have a list with any legitimacy.Remember too that the best trading firm =/= the best trading firm for a trader. A large bureaucratic firm that makes up an extremely large % of the marketplace won't necessarily be the place where an individual trader can make a lot of money his/her first few years out of college.

There also aren't that many 'sketchy' firms (at least, not any more sketchy than any prop firm in general). If you have a contract and they pay you a salary, it is going to be as real as it gets.

• In reply to Jerome Marrow
    IlliniProgrammer's picture

Jerome Marrow wrote:
    Let's hope they even recruit at your school because there is a short list of 3-4 schools that compromise the majority of recruiting for those 2 firms. On top of that, there is not going to be any significant difference in compensation, just like at every shop, despite people being unable to get that through their skulls.

Jerome, I've got a lot of respect for those firms- and I suspect 90% of the BB options traders I work with kinda wished they worked there, but let's not get too snobby. Illinois and Cal are on the frigging list of those 3-4 schools.:D

• In reply to IlliniProgrammer
    arden's picture

IlliniProgrammer wrote:
    Jerome Marrow wrote:

Jerome, I've got a lot of respect for those firms- and I suspect 90% of the BB options traders I work with kinda wished they worked there, but let's not get too snobby. Illinois and Cal are on the frigging list of those 3-4 schools.:D

absolutely not true

• In reply to arden
    Gomez Addams's picture

arden wrote:
    IlliniProgrammer wrote:
    Jerome Marrow wrote:

absolutely not true

What is not true? Illinois and Cal are definitely on that list.

• In reply to arden
    IlliniProgrammer's picture

arden wrote:

absolutely not true

Absolutely true. Getco has a number of Illinois alumns and their only intern when I was in school was from UIUC. They recruit on-campus as well.

It's not really a big deal. Getco looks for smart programmers and traders wherever the heck it can find them. It's a very, very well-run firm, but it is hardly an exclusive firm. Jump is also the same way. One of my friends in college turned down Jump for Citadel, but I know that a number of other Illinois grads took offers there.

Oh well, what the hell do I know. I'm just the guy that has to compete with them on a daily basis...

• arden's picture

maybe back in the day when it was getting started they hired people from nearby schools, but getco does not recruit from schools like uiuc anymore

and even if they did it's highly unlikely (although obviously possible) that they would find anyone who could make the cut there nowadays

• In reply to arden
    Gomez Addams's picture

arden wrote:
    maybe back in the day when it was getting started they hired people from nearby schools, but getco does not recruit from schools like uiuc anymore

and even if they did it's highly unlikely (although obviously possible) that they would find anyone who could make the cut there nowadays

I disagree. Getco's own CEO went to a small school that has zero credibility and is definitely not on anyone's radar. Getco doesn’t recruit on a lot of campuses because they have a different recruiting model then most other firms, not because of a perceived lack of talent at a particular school.

• IlliniProgrammer's picture

I dunno. It's kinda like joining a private club- or in this case, maybe more like joining a nerdy D&D group. If you have to ask how to join, you're probably not a good fit. That's not to say anything about your skills or intellect as an individual or to say that these firms are too prestigious for you- they're not. But it's just a quirky culture that you're probably not going to be happy in- and they probably won't be happy with you in- if prestige is what you're really aiming for. That's why I'm steering you towards DRW and Jane Street instead.

I'd recommend going ahead and interviewing with them and being yourself- and if you don't get the offer, don't sweat it too much. It's not about you, it's about their culture.

• In reply to IlliniProgrammer
    Gomez Addams's picture

IlliniProgrammer wrote:
    I dunno. It's kinda like joining a private club- or in this case, maybe more like joining a nerdy D&D group. If you have to ask how to join, you're probably not a good fit. That's not to say anything about your skills or intellect as an individual or to say that these firms are too prestigious for you- they're not. But it's just a quirky culture that you're probably not going to be happy in- and they probably won't be happy with you in- if prestige is what you're really aiming for. That's why I'm steering you towards DRW and Jane Street instead.

I'd recommend going ahead and interviewing with them and being yourself- and if you don't get the offer, don't sweat it too much. It's not about you, it's about their culture.

Well said. Definitely, go for it.

• In reply to Gold Man Sack
    matthewlesko's picture

Gold Man Sack wrote:
    anyone know anything about Eldorado Trading in Chicago??

Interviewed there and received and offer several years ago (so might be outdated). Eurodollar spread trading. They spend a good amount of time training you and the guys seem nice, but just not as sophisticated as a DRW, JSC, DE Shaw, Jump, SIG, etc. That said, you could also potentially make more money there. Probably a lower rate of success though. Success there seems more dependent on market feel.

• In reply to matthewlesko
    absinthe's picture

matthewlesko wrote:
    Gold Man Sack wrote:
    anyone know anything about Eldorado Trading in Chicago??

Interviewed there and received and offer several years ago (so might be outdated). Eurodollar spread trading. They spend a good amount of time training you and the guys seem nice, but just not as sophisticated as a DRW, JSC, DE Shaw, Jump, SIG, etc. That said, you could also potentially make more money there. Probably a lower rate of success though. Success there seems more dependent on market feel.

At the risk of sparking flames, what's your opinion of the top prop shops right now? Based on everything I know my opinion is still:

GETCO, JSC, Hudson River Trading, Jump Trading, Five Rings Capital, SIG, DRW, IMC, Madison Tyler, DC Energy, Optiver.

Roughly in that order. Not including the likes of Citadel, Shaw, Tower since they are hedge funds.

Pages