Worst-Paying College Degrees in 2010

Take a look at all these pussy-paying degrees. Have fun with that...

College Degree
1. Child and Family Studies
2. Elementary Education
3. Social Work
4. Athletic Training
5. Culinary Arts
6. Horticulture
7. Paralegal Studies/Law
8. Theology
9. Recreation & Leisure
10. Special Education
11. Dietetics
12. Religious Studies
13. Art
14. Education
15. Interdisciplinary Studies
16. Interior Design
17. Nutrition
18. Graphic Design
19. Music
20. Art History

Go here to see how poor these people are...

http://finance.yahoo.com/college-education/articl…

We can have all the laughs we want at these people, but the bottom line is that a lot of them carry the weight of society.

We can survive without professional bankers, traders, and hedge fund managers. But without teachers, we'll be back in the dark ages in a single generation.

Also, dietetics is designed for women who wanted to go into nursing but then realized they didn't like being around sick people. My mom was a dietician and to this day, she still asks me how many vegetables I've eaten today.

Best Response
IlliniProgrammer:
We can have all the laughs we want at these people, but the bottom line is that a lot of them carry the weight of society.

We can survive without professional bankers, traders, and hedge fund managers. But without teachers, we'll be back in the dark ages in a single generation.

Also, dietetics is designed for women who wanted to go into nursing but then realized they didn't like being around sick people. My mom was a dietician and to this day, she still asks me how many vegetables I've eaten today.

Does it bother you that when I see your posts, all that goes on in my mind is "blah, blah, blahhhhhh"? I'm not trying to be a douche or anything. And based on how well I know you (...), I'm guessing that the answer to that question is "absolutely not." And I don't blame you.

IlliniProgrammer:

The fact of the matter is most of these people don't even need a college degree to do the jobs they end up doing. And they also aren't intelligent or curious enough to appreciate education qua education. I mean, look at some of the shitty colleges that exist to take in kids with 1000 on the SATs and charge like 30k a year (I'm thinking of a few places in florida like Lynn College and Eckerd.) These are kids who go to college just to go, and would probably be better off directly entering the workforce.

This whole "carrying the weight of society bullshit" sounds so sanctimonious. I think you're underestimating how many people are simply unintelligent or fuckups and have no need of higher education.

BretEastonEllis:
This whole "carrying the weight of society bullshit" sounds so sanctimonious. I think you're underestimating how many people are simply unintelligent or fuckups and have no need of higher education.

Well said.

I have a semi appreciation for social workers and the like because they do something I never could or would want to do. But as I've stated in the past, this country has become morally bankrupt and self centered. People no longer are capable of being 'shamed' which is a major contributor to the welfare nation we have become. It used to unacceptable to be unemployed if you were capable of working or to have disrespectful children or kids out of wedlock, but now it's okay because you are being 'unique' or 'individual'.

I don't think people should walk a tight rope through life for fear of being deemed 'different' but it is obvious that people who conform to a 'societal norm' (if that even exists anymore) are often more successful.

Most people on this forum realize that 'conforming' will make life easier, which is why you shower everyday (I hope) and you dress in nice, clean clothing and get your hair cut regularly. I don't think this makes you a 'sell out.'

Regards

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

BretEastonEllis:
IlliniProgrammer:

The fact of the matter is most of these people don't even need a college degree to do the jobs they end up doing. And they also aren't intelligent or curious enough to appreciate education qua education. I mean, look at some of the shitty colleges that exist to take in kids with 1000 on the SATs and charge like 30k a year (I'm thinking of a few places in florida like Lynn College and Eckerd.) These are kids who go to college just to go, and would probably be better off directly entering the workforce.

I go to a private non-profit liberal arts school (also non-target but reading the first two, you can probably guess that) and I see the same thing. People majoring in exercise science and criminal justice taking out loans every year of 38k or more. We have every amenity in the world (seriously, it's ridiculous) and its supposed to "inspire" students. But we really get a lot of rich kids that aren't worth .1% of the range rover they drive around the campus. We do have some graduates on wall street and I'm working as hard as possible myself as I'm about to start on senior year but looking around, I just don't know how some kids do it.

Bad economy + shitty degree + 100k+ debt = one more person relying on the government which further pushes Obamas liberal agenda. I guess it's hard to spark ambition into students who, using their meal plan can eat at a 2 star steak house once a week, have outdoor swimming pools, valet parking, free movie theaters, an arcade.....I'm going to stop there as it gets even more ridiculous and I don't want to ruin my own degree in FInance. I suppose the good news is we're ranked in the top 7% by Forbes if that accounts for anything....

Within 20 minutes I could find a baller within every single one of those numbers. Though 99% of that population makes an average salary...there's that 1% that really know what their doing. Specifically in Culinary Arts, Interior Design, Education, and Music. So I wouldn't laugh too hard at them.

Its unfortunate that these degrees do not pay well. We all had to make a choice in college, a career path. We had to decide on a career path that would make us happy or a path that would make us financial happy.

Great article. People that take out loans for these majors will simply have to learn personal finance the hard way. Maybe if entrepreneurship was tied into these majors they might have a more prosperous financial future...I doubt it though.

I actually just felt like being an asshole. I like your posts, except the ones that (1) oppose the stance of OP and posters, and (2) discuss your unsafe obsession with the midwest/public schools/Illinois/engineering programs. Other than that, I really enjoy your contributions.

OK, done. You're one of the few posters on here that are actually qualified to give advice, so I appreciate your activity on here. Otherwise, we'd be stuck with a ton of college junior/senior morons who give advice like they're 15-year Wall Street vets.

You should look at some of the degrees that NBA player tried to get in College. Athletic Dietary Studies, Financial Planning (useful when you're making 3 mil a year), and other weird stuff.

Then again, most of them never graduated.

There is a billionaire owner of one of the largest props/hedge funds that has a degree in anthro and donated handsomely to his school because of his degree.... The degrees themselves don't really mean shit anywhere for banking/trading/etc., it is more the type of people that go into each field. Shitheads tend to go into softer majors to begin with, ergo...

Agree somewhat with the last post- there are TONS of people working in finance and on the street that have degrees in psychology, history, govy, philosophy, art history etc. If you go to a top 10 school it doesn't matter what you're degree is in, and even if you don't I know a ton of recruiters that look for diversity especially coming right out of undergrad and value an education or path that is 'different' somehow...they get thousands of econ/finance/mgmt majors crossing their desks. The reality is that most econ programs deal with economic theory- fluffy macro/micro how the world works stuff- and not actual hard core finance, so even that does not really prepare you. The BB and others are going to train people and teach them how they want stuff done anyway. The only really respected undergrad finance program that I ever hear get tossed out is UPenn/Wharton. Other than that, a finance degree from a lesser school is not worth as much as any degree (even Soci) from a brand-name school, just in my experience and what I have seen.

Its kind of why every male i-banker with a GMAT score over 700 doesn't get into top b-schools...bc there are thousands out there with the exact same resume trying to get the same spot. Have two friends at BB firms that have gone to VP in 5 yrs through a recession- one was a Japanese Art History major and one was a Psych major.

Food for thought.

Well I go to a non-target, and when I see people majoring in psychology (the ones who dont want to be doctors)and criminal justice (the ones who are not interested in going to law school) It literally makes me angry. If your going to pay 50,000 a year to go to this school get a degree in something useful like accounting or finance. And then they say "oh well psychology/criminal justice is really interesting to me" NO SHIT. Its interesting to everyone asshole, nobody doesent like watching cops or learning about landmark courtcases or learning the way people think, human behavior, and why certain people make certain decisions. Its just not practical, becuase there are no jobs in these areas and there is no money (coming from a non-target obviously). AND THEN they have the audacity to talk about their 3.8 GPA and how its better than your 3.6. I LOVE HEARING all the alumni of these majors talk about how there working at the gas station by their house, and looking for jobs at their local insurance company.

GET UP! MOVE AROUND! MOTION CREATES EMOTION!

Gang, Gang, Gang

You have to read some of the discussion boards under the yahoo article listed by the OP.

HILARIOUS!

This is from "Kenny"

"dont get caught up in the dollar sign. i would rather make 35k...and be content..then 50k and come home mad at everything!!!,,,,,you have to decide for yourself!!!...money will not make you happy in a horrible job...............and always remember........every job sucks on moneday...and aint so bad.....on payday!!!!!!!!!"

OK KENNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 50k jobs apperantly make you mad at everything

Daniel B-

"Well I guess I'm safe and I thought Criminal Justice would be up there."

-No Daniel you are not safe-have fun selling car insurance

"SupaFly" You can go ahead and add my Masters of Survey and Justice Administration to that list. Who would have thought a person with a Masters and ambition barely makes $20k a year and it's not from a lack of trying.

-Well what were you high on when you were like yea my undergrad degree doesent suck enough lets go back for my masters in survey and justice admin.

" Now a days, makin 8 dollars an hour is a blessing"

maybe you wouldent feel that way if you didnt go to college for social work.

Gang, Gang, Gang

I thought the anonymous commie poster was kinda funny:

Information like this is put out on purpose to manipulate you based on FEAR and GREED! Wake up people and realize when you are being toyed with!!!

In the late 90's the IT field was heavily marketed as being the most promising career that would pay the most money and have the most job security. Now that there are so many graduates in this field the workers are expendable! They can easily be replaced by the next hungry IT professional who is either out of work or under paid.

Yeah, commie. Next week, the bank is going to hire some hungry kid out of IIT to replace me. After six months of training and learning about how our products get priced, maybe he'll be able to take care of the traders as well as me AND COST JUST AS MUCH.

I cant stop....

"I hate how unfairly valued certain skills and talents are. Effective childcare, i.e. taking care of children without screwing them up for life, isn't something everyone can do, and yet our society places so little monetary value on it."

-Solid Argument, you should have been a lawyer.

"i love going to school. i cant wait to further my education in the criminal justice field. long term goal is to become a forensic scientist."

-This statement should be featured on the next University of Pheonix commercial

"In other words, you need to be in a self minded career in order to be weathy financially; that's funny, kinda sums it all up don't you think?"

-Umm yes.Whats so terrible about that

Gang, Gang, Gang

This was a somewhat intelligent post..I believe our country is center-right though.

The secretary of education Arne Ducan would like to get rid of unions and can't because they are too powerful politically. Washington D.C, superintendent Michelle Rhee is fighting unions and trying to bring in merit based pay. 1.America is increasingly a liberal country so coproral punishment will never happen. 2. Teachers and education are looked to as magicians that can solve social issues like: poverty, drug abuse, physical abuse, economic disadvantages... I can't catch up a 5 year deficit in reading during a single academic year and many 1st graders start with that because their parents did not make literacy a family value. 3. Half days are for staff development. As long as a public school has as many instructive minutes as each state requires, half days can be built into the schedule. Check with your states office of education to find out how many minutes a year students must be in class. 4. We are an egalitarian nation. We do not deny any child a Free and Appropriate education (FAPE) base on class, nation of origin or social status. Korea does.Germany has a system that weeds out kids at critical periods and forever the opportunity to be a college graduate is lost to them. Japan only educates the Japanese.... I have to deal with Mexicans here illegally and their request for primary sources in spanish for them. 5. We do not even have word that truly equates to the Japanese word for sensi. I am disparaged, yelled at by parents and cursed out by their spawn. There is not a cultural respect and elevation of educators in our nation. We regard Kobe Bryant and his pay reflects our cultural appreciation for his job through his wages. 6. kids are socially promoted because we are a feel good nation that doesn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. The last team in a little league is still given a trophy. Our education reflects our values as a nation. I had high state test scores in my subject are and a high pass rate of students. I am laid off now, taking a $30,000 cut in my pay because tenured teachers have rights to the class before me. I hate the unions too, but voters need to put the pressure on legislatures to make change. My union works against me and my fellow Americans are ignorant of the reality of the education system. I know the failures of my field, but I can not solve them alone. Please fact check before you grip

Aut debitis porro rerum sit omnis possimus ut. Voluptates nesciunt error praesentium iste.

Quos perferendis voluptatem voluptas est. Qui tenetur ut est ut consequatur blanditiis magni. Expedita aut ducimus architecto minus quo illum dolor. Facilis aliquam ad eum laboriosam ut est excepturi. Maxime sit vel odio asperiores sunt qui.

Consectetur saepe molestiae veritatis fugit temporibus sint et ipsam. Vero quibusdam nihil aut blanditiis exercitationem ullam quis quam. Et in dolores et error corrupti atque. Reprehenderit explicabo dicta sint. Dolorem id enim possimus molestiae ea enim. Asperiores quis eos dolores ratione.

Perferendis culpa excepturi fugit totam cumque non. Et animi ducimus dolorem laudantium aperiam pariatur asperiores ipsa. Et ipsam quis quo voluptates est delectus. Nihil et eius est harum. Ratione et vero qui atque odio ullam nemo. Enim voluptas cum vitae fugiat nemo. Perspiciatis doloribus nobis et sapiente.

Assumenda quasi in veritatis incidunt aut atque ut. Aut eos quis doloribus reprehenderit iste accusamus. Inventore qui omnis tempore. Doloremque dolor a necessitatibus sit dolores similique dolor.

Quasi pariatur ipsa explicabo tenetur dolorem rerum pariatur. Quibusdam ut et est quibusdam tempore dicta ut. Blanditiis qui dolores libero enim eos. Commodi harum beatae voluptatem et aut laboriosam corrupti. In aperiam non dolorum voluptatum praesentium.

Doloremque consequatur aperiam odio aperiam suscipit. Dolorum qui cupiditate libero alias. Consectetur quae autem animi doloribus vel voluptas.

Adipisci non pariatur sunt et sapiente dolorum. Temporibus culpa tenetur earum omnis tenetur consectetur voluptatibus. Minima repudiandae quas quod ab minus culpa nihil consequatur. Cupiditate repudiandae voluptatem rerum maiores et. Omnis mollitia omnis placeat est. Repellat aliquam laborum dolore ut voluptas nihil.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”