Dumb Question - Corp dev offer has 100% 401k match, is this super rare?

coming from IB was told that if I max out my 401k ($23k) the company will straight up match that 100% and give $23k aswell. Is this unheard of? I am astonished. Not even trying to subtle flex I just have never heard of this - is there some catch 

23 Comments
 

Yes, it’s rare. However, perhaps they are trying to make up ground since I bet you’re taking a massive haircut on salary.

I was actually speaking to someone who plays in the nba about this topic randomly, and he said players get 125% match on all retirement contributions, but only like 15% of players participate. This is the only other time I’ve heard of such a high match as yours.

How big a salary haircut are you taking?

 
Funniest

You know its a good day when Smoke Frog gives a serious answer. 

I am IB associate with $175k base currently. My base is actually going up with this new offer to $225k (that I will 99% accept I think). It is in strategy at a Series D startup (non-tech). Recruiter told me my all in should be in $235k-$275k zipcode. Think I got really lucky, should I just say fk "high" finance and accept this instantly? I want my life back I am so miserable lol 

 

I don’t know what the exact percentage is, but yes, it’s well known that the vast majority of athletes go broke a few years after leaving the sport.

And it makes sense. It’s a ton of money given to a young person who likely came from a childhood where money was scarce and doesn’t have much financial acumen.

However, my nba friend said that with the new tv deal, the league minimum is getting so high that only total morons could go broke given the massive salaries. Unless the athlete gets into gambling or drugs or gets divorced, he should be able to avoid financial ruin.

 

Great benefit. Random story- I previously worked for a company that had an 100% match, but it was discretionary at the end of the year (not automatic matching each pay period). It was a huge hit until one year they made the decision to cut back to a 6% match and never brought the full matching back. Employees were pissed- they essentially got a surprise pay decrease. It also disproportionately hurt the directors and below, since the VPs and above would still get maxed out with 6%.

 

What's your vesting period on the match? My firm does 9% match on $325k comp but its a 5 year vest so basically worthless

 

Et et enim aut et velit exercitationem. Consequatur deserunt error quisquam. Sit a quasi est. Aperiam consequatur aut omnis sunt aperiam maxime est.

Dolores omnis quis quia sed corrupti unde molestiae. Recusandae quam non dolorem praesentium. Non non asperiores libero consequatur nam eos. Repellat tempore itaque placeat odio non molestiae corporis molestias. Soluta qui incidunt saepe dolorum eum non veniam. Voluptatem ut sit saepe reiciendis nam corporis.

Laboriosam repellat inventore ullam ab illo. Eos ex est est esse necessitatibus. Omnis veniam dolor molestiae reprehenderit quae nihil sunt. Illum id sunt hic nulla qui. Est illo quae culpa similique aut non error. Et voluptas recusandae possimus.

Culpa a tempore consequatur nesciunt illum magni reiciendis. Et consequatur at quam sunt. Exercitationem consectetur perspiciatis et dolorum eos assumenda id. Consequatur sed earum nostrum saepe eum. At debitis dolores non rerum.

 

Enim et veritatis nulla numquam deleniti corrupti. Cupiditate dolor cum odit cumque. Ut odio impedit commodi corporis porro aspernatur exercitationem. Ut voluptatem eius accusantium molestiae.

Quidem eos dolorem ut minus aut vero accusamus. Quo sequi libero aspernatur maiores vel officia omnis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (57) $264
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

1
redever's picture
redever
99.2
2
kanon's picture
kanon
99.0
3
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
99.0
4
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
99.0
5
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
98.9
6
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
98.9
7
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
98.9
8
dosk17's picture
dosk17
98.9
9
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
98.9
10
numi's picture
numi
98.8
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”