BofA 2025 Global Markets, just received HireVue

I just received a HireVue for BofA's 2025 Global Research summer program. Besides basic behaviorals, what kinds of ER/CR specific questions should I expect? I'm very naive, especially when it comes to er/cr, so I would appreciate any words of wisdom. Thank you

Based on the most helpful WSO content, when preparing for a HireVue interview for BofA's Global Research summer program, especially in the Equity Research (ER) and Credit Research (CR) areas, you should be ready to tackle a mix of behavioral questions and technical questions specific to ER/CR. Here are some insights to guide your preparation:

1. Behavioral Questions: These are designed to assess your fit within the company culture, your teamwork capabilities, problem-solving skills, and resilience. Common questions might include:

• Tell me about a time you faced a significant challenge and how you overcame it.
    • Describe a situation where you had to work in a team to achieve a goal. What was your role, and what was the outcome?
    • Why are you interested in Equity/Credit Research, and what makes you a good fit for this role?
  2. Technical Questions Specific to ER/CR:

• Equity Research (ER): Expect questions that test your understanding of financial modeling, valuation techniques (e.g., DCF, comparables), and your ability to analyze financial statements. You might also be asked about your views on a particular sector or stock, so be prepared to discuss current market trends.
      • Example: How do you value a company? Can you walk me through a DCF model?
      • Example: What are the key drivers of growth in the tech sector?
  • Credit Research (CR): Questions will likely focus on your understanding of credit analysis, including assessing a company's creditworthiness, understanding financial ratios important for credit analysis (e.g., interest coverage ratio, debt/EBITDA), and knowledge of the fixed income market.
    • Example: How would you assess the creditworthiness of a company?
    • Example: What factors would you consider when analyzing the risk of a corporate bond?
  1. Market Knowledge and Current Events: Being up-to-date with current market trends and news is crucial. You might be asked about your opinion on recent developments in the markets, interest rate movements, or specific events impacting the equity or credit markets.

2. Behavioral Techniques: While preparing for technical questions, don't neglect the importance of storytelling and structuring your answers in a clear, concise manner. Use the STAR method (Situation, Task, Action, Result) to structure your behavioral responses.

Remember, the key to success in HireVue interviews is preparation. Practice your answers out loud, ensure you are comfortable with the basics of financial analysis, and stay informed about the markets. Good luck!

Sources: Barclays Macro Research - 2022 Summer Internship, Credit Suisse Summer 2020, Any books to read for an incoming equity research summer associate?, Will CFA® exams be canceled this summer?, 43 Diversity Recruiting Programs at Investment Banks - The Most Exhaustive List

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Delectus occaecati tempore non rerum eos consequatur nulla laborum. Autem eum quia laudantium eos.

Dolorem quae ut impedit tempora. Quis quas rerum sed deserunt autem. Amet non ut aut corporis.

Rerum quidem assumenda id omnis qui fugit delectus. Est rem tempora qui ea veniam iure maiores.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”