How can you rationalize spending $100+ on a shirt as an IB Analyst?
Tried on some performance dress shirts from Vineyard Vines that felt like my pajamas but even on sale they're about $99.99. How much do you spend on dress shirts?
Tried on some performance dress shirts from Vineyard Vines that felt like my pajamas but even on sale they're about $99.99. How much do you spend on dress shirts?
Career Resources
Career Advancement Opportunities
September 2026 Investment Banking
Overall Employee Satisfaction
September 2026 Investment Banking
Professional Growth Opportunities
September 2026 Investment Banking
Total Avg Compensation
September 2026 Investment Banking
“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”
Leaderboard
| 1 | 99.2 | |
| 2 | 99.0 | |
| 3 | 99.0 | |
| 4 | 99.0 | |
| 5 | 98.9 | |
| 6 | 98.9 | |
| 7 | 98.9 | |
| 8 | 98.9 | |
| 9 | 98.9 | |
| 10 | 98.8 |
“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”
Get instant access to lessons taught by experienced private equity pros and bulge bracket investment bankers including financial statement modeling, DCF, M&A, LBO, Comps and Excel Modeling.
$100 minimum.
Can't go wrong with good ol' Charles Tyrwhitt 3 for $99
Any idea which is the most comfortable material available? I want something like mizzen + main / vineyard vines performance
I love Charles Tyrwhitt, but do you really want to sole-source your wardrobe? https://www.wardrobeessentialist.com/post/when-brands-compete-you-win
Lol pls tell me you don't wear vineyard vines to work
I heard State and Liberty has some super comfortable shirts but they’re like $90 I believe. If you buy 3 or 5 you get a better deal but still will average out to like 70-80 a shirt I believe
Go to Charles Tyrwhitt and call it a day...
go with mizzen and main. period. Its worth it trust me. Here's a link for $25 off if you are interested... https://mbsy.co/hHdMs
I have over 20. You can think of it as a gym shirt from lululemon that looks like a brooks brothers button up shirt. It doesn't look 'fake', 'cheap', or 'techy' like some crappy polyster shirt you find at other retailers.
If you are uncomfortable right now in the summer heat or want to change clothes as soon as you get home, hate hauling shirts to dry cleaners for $10-15 each week, etc you should at least test it out. Again their gym shirts that nobody can tell, and look very sharp. Moisture wicking, no wrinkles, machine wash, stain resistant, no yellow collars, etc.
... highly recommend you at least test it out. Check out reviews or social media...better to spend $$ on a few shirts you love and be comfortable vs time spent at dry cleaners/buying new ones, etc.
Brooks brothers doing a 4 for 199$ rn
J. Crew Ludlow
Brooks Bros Regent Fit
Bonobos Daily Grind Slim Fit
Usually buy any of these depending on whats on sale.
If you like J. Crew Ludlow and Bonobos Slim, I'd think you'd like Brooks Bros Milano vs. Regent, Are you deliberately going for "roomy and comfortable" with your Brooks Bros shirts?
Also, would it be helpful to have a single service that tracks sales for all the brands you've decided you like?
Tommy Bahama white linens all day #HamptonsSzn
Lots of wrinkles ?
$35-- Tommy Hilfiger on sale. I go for the athletic fit whites and blues (including striped blues). They feel nice, and they get the job done.
I get most of my dress clothes from Jos A Bank, and honestly, they've been great. The Traveler shirts and pants are great for when I'm on the road. After a night of hanging up they're wrinkle-free.
Jos. A. Bank has undermined their reputation with too many "Buy 1, get N free!" ads, but the upper end of their range is really solid, and they offer a range of fits in exact sleeve lengths vs. the S/M/L sizes at Banana Republic of J. Crew that are a great fit for very few.
If you're in an office where you can branch out beyond solid white and blue, they also have much wider variety of colors/patterns than other vendors.
Yeah I wouldn't buy a suit from there, but the Traveler pants and shirts have been great. And good point about colors/patters. My office is on the casual side of business casual so it's nice having a variety of (conservative) patters to choose from.
I don't get my shirts from there but the same is true for the suits, buy them on super sale/bulk, put $100 worth of alterations into it, just make sure the shoulders sit right/aren't Paula Poundstone styled and you're good to go
Hey guys. I ended up photoshopping my ol' student ID in order to get an extra discount on Vineyard Vines and got some solid performance dress shirts at around $50 each. They feel superb and I'm guessing Mizzen is made out of a similar material and will check them out too. I am also thinking about purchasing UNTUCKIT shirts and wearing a patagonia vest to hide the fact that i'm not tucking in my shirt. However Ive heard the material/sizing is subpar and will have to check them out @ a brick & mortar before i start ordering online.
I found untuck fit to suck, but everyone's body is shaped differently so take that with a grain of salt. I did find the material to feel very cheap and wrinkled extremely easily, but no idea about the performance material.
It is honestly a long term investment. $100+ shirts last for a long time (5 years), and you only need a few on rotation. My office is pretty relaxed actually so you can bring in patterns, and under a sweater they look quite conservative. Remember to find out the dress code before buying dress shirts, you might not even work in an environment which requires a suit everyday and just chinos and dress shoes.
I think the days of people wearing a suit are shrinking year by year. I'm sure alot of people on this site do, but lets face it, its uncomfortable and alot of people don't like it. Most companies are changing to chinos/jeans + polos/button downs. I'd invest more in good shirts and pants than in suits since you'll get so much more wear out of them.
Bloomberg ran an interesting article on this under the headline "The Death of Clothing:"
your point about changing dress codes
shift in consumer spending away from clothing to technology/experiences
ruthless price competition
The good news is that you can make the trend work for you by having multiple brands compete for your business.
https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2018-death-of-clothing/
Et atque beatae vel sint molestiae expedita autem voluptas. Repellat cum rerum nostrum quis. Hic sapiente ad iusto aliquam sunt ducimus aut. Accusamus est aliquam itaque quis accusamus quia illo cupiditate. Placeat tempore minima fuga ipsum autem eum. Error voluptatum quis aperiam quisquam nihil distinctio.
Sint sint omnis unde vitae. Est amet enim quae ipsam inventore ea aliquid magnam. Quod itaque sed temporibus iste vel ratione. Quia eveniet facere asperiores deserunt rerum iusto. Dolorum voluptatem eum modi magni. Esse enim rem illo repudiandae dolore suscipit.
See All Comments - 100% Free
WSO depends on everyone being able to pitch in when they know something. Unlock with your email and get bonus: 6 financial modeling lessons free ($199 value)
or Unlock with your social account...
Cupiditate pariatur iure veritatis voluptatem quas sunt est. Minima qui et dolore amet. Consequuntur est voluptates fuga facilis quidem adipisci. Illo omnis assumenda expedita.