401k vs. Cash Saving as an Analyst

Finishing my first year and looking for perspective on investment allocation. Currently save around 18% of my base salary in HY savings and put 8% towards my 401k, which is all S&P and has a nice return. On track to have $100k liquid after my analyst years, so I can invest in a start up or real estate. Would appreciate any recommendations on how to improve my finances.

When considering the balance between contributing to a 401k and maintaining cash savings, it's crucial to evaluate both your short-term and long-term financial goals. Here's a breakdown to help you optimize your investment allocation:

1. 401k Contributions:

• Tax Advantages: Contributions to your 401k are pre-tax, reducing your taxable income. This can be particularly beneficial if you're in a higher tax bracket.
    • Employer Match: Ensure you're contributing enough to maximize any employer match; this is essentially free money.
    • Long-Term Growth: The S&P 500 exposure in your 401k allows for potentially higher long-term growth due to market returns, which is suitable for retirement savings.
  2. High-Yield Savings:

• Liquidity: High-yield savings accounts offer liquidity and safety for your funds. This is crucial if you anticipate needing access to cash in the short term, for emergencies or investment opportunities like real estate or a startup.
    • Interest Earnings: While typically lower than potential stock market returns, the interest from high-yield savings is stable and risk-free.
  3. Balancing Act:

• Risk and Return: Consider your risk tolerance and the potential returns from each type of investment. Stocks (via your 401k) generally offer higher returns with higher risk compared to the stability of high-yield savings.
    • Financial Goals: Align your savings strategy with your financial goals. If you're aiming to invest in real estate or a startup soon, maintaining liquidity is key. However, don't overlook the importance of long-term retirement savings.
  4. Increase 401k Savings: If you have sufficient liquidity for your short-term goals and an adequate emergency fund, consider increasing your 401k contributions to take full advantage of tax deferral and potential compounding growth.

5. Diversification: Beyond just stocks and savings, consider diversifying into other asset classes like bonds or real estate investment trusts (REITs) within your 401k to spread risk.

6. Review Regularly: Financial planning is not a set-it-and-forget-it activity. Regularly review your investments, savings rate, and financial goals to adjust as your career progresses and your financial situation evolves.

By carefully balancing your contributions to both your 401k and high-yield savings, you can effectively prepare for both your immediate and future financial needs.

Sources: How much have you saved?, How much have you saved?, How Would You Invest $1 Million Today?, The Last "what should I do with my money?" Thread (hopefully), Managing Your Money - Building a Personal Financial Model

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Sit rerum laboriosam quae doloribus perferendis. Ipsam quo vero quo at asperiores. Cupiditate quia magni commodi quae molestiae ut eveniet. Et dolor molestias blanditiis voluptatem.

Assumenda at dolores necessitatibus est ea. Sed totam possimus nemo qui similique nobis sint.

Career Advancement Opportunities

June 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners New 98.9%
  • Lazard Freres 01 98.3%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 24 97.7%
  • Goldman Sachs 16 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 19 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres 06 98.9%
  • JPMorgan Chase 09 98.3%
  • William Blair 03 97.7%
  • Morgan Stanley 04 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.9%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners 18 98.3%
  • Goldman Sachs 16 97.7%
  • Moelis & Company 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (22) $375
  • Associates (94) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (69) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (207) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (152) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
bolo up's picture
bolo up
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”