Monday Freefall | The Daily Peel | 6/14/22

Silver Banana goes to...

Logo

Market Snapshot

Adding insult to injury, futures tumbled yesterday morning as investors began to fear the worst. Markets took another colossal dump on Monday, with the Dow closing down 2.79%. The S&P is again flirting with bear market territory, finishing yesterday down 3.88%. The Nasdaq apparently is full of losers and was down 4.68%. *bigger oof*

WTI crude is at almost $121 a barrel. BTC is at like 23k; ETH traded as low as $1191. Red is the new black, Apes.

Ready to save up to $2K on your summer travel? Stop dreaming and start planning. Try DFC for free if you sign up in the next 12 hours. Think; roundtrip to Hawaii from $197, Madrid from $335, and much more. Offer ends in 12 hours!
Try DFC Now

Let’s get into it.

Banana Bits

• Summer travel season is finally here, and we’re doing our best to not miss out on great travel deals
  • Morgan Stanley’s CEO sees 50-50 odds of a recession looming… ya think?
  • Kevin Spacey has been under a microscope for a decade about his, er, behavior. Finally, he’s being charged in London
  • The Fed is eyeing an even bigger rate hike
  • Celsius is one of the first to freeze withdrawals, but I doubt it will be last

Banana Brain Teaser

Yesterday — The answer to yesterday’s BBT was running out of gas. The question was: What kind of running actually ends up meaning walking?

Today — For today’s BBT, we will knock 20 bananas off of our Python Fundamentals Course for the first 20 correct respondents.

Take one out and scratch my head; I am now black but once was red. What am I?

Shoot us your guesses at [email protected] with the subject line "Banana Brain Teaser" or simply click here to reply!

Macro Monkey Says

Food at Home — Grocery prices in the past twelve months are up 11.9%.

The things that the middle class spends the most on in their daily lives are going through the roof. If you had any spare greenbacks in your budget before this inflation kicked into overdrive, increases in the price of food and gas have likely eaten those bucks away.

Meat prices are up more than 10%. Have you bought eggs lately? Prices are up over 30%.

There are some bizarre things going on in the food market. It’s more expensive today to put a chicken breast on the grill than a ground beef patty.

Additionally, the war in Ukraine isn’t helping either. We’ve covered both Ukraine and Russia as major players in the global wheat market. There’s actually a chance that we will see famine in poorer countries because of complex interactions from the conflict.

Is there a half-full scenario here?

Well, I think grocery stores are going to make more money nominally as food prices soar. I also don’t think they have passed all of their rising costs on to consumers just yet, as this inflation has ripped higher so quickly there’s no real chance to deliberately merchandise their products for regular consumers.

There was a time when everyone said that inflation was transitory, and that affected how businesses wanted to address inflation in their pricing strategies. That has changed, particularly as we watch inflation move sideways and not go down after a couple of rate hikes.

This puzzle is complicated, and no one has all the pieces. But thinking about the ripple effects of these macro headwinds could be the difference between making a smart investment and pulling the trigger on a dumb decision that shoots you in the foot.

Save Up to 90% On Your Next Flight

banner

It’s time to book your summer travel! What destinations are on your bucket list? You can try DFC Premium Plus+ for free now, but only if you sign up within the next 12 hours.

Think; roundtrip to Hawaii from $197, Madrid from $335, Costa Rica from $205, and many more destinations for up to 90% off.

Join over 1 million happy travelers and join the Club. Act now, this exclusive free trial offer ends in 12 hours!

Try DFC Now

Join 110,000+ Wise Primates

Subscribe to get the most critical market moves each morning, Monday through Friday.

What's Ripe

McDonald’s Corp ($MCD) — The only positive Dow component yesterday was ol’ reliable Mickey D’s. Shares of $MCD ripped a staggering 0.46% higher.

After exiting Russia, McDonald’s has virtue signaled with the best of ‘em. There was no positive news surrounding the fast food name, so one can only assume investors are seeking a safe haven in something that the consumer can still throw their hard-earned bananas at!

Seagen ($SGEN) — On days like yesterday, there is little to write about here, but we did see a single S&P company in the green.

That lucky winner was $SGEN. They closed up 0.14%. Not a bad showing on a day when the market pissed about 4% of its total market cap.

What's Rotten

Boeing ($BA) — The Dow’s biggest loser yesterday was the Boeing Company. While they are struggling with the KC-46 on the Boeing Defense side of the house, regulatory hurdles are slowing down the follow-on to the 737Max.

Boeing lost 8.77% yesterday.

Splunk Inc ($SPLK) — Just two weeks after receiving a shiny new price target and a buy rating from BofA, shares of Splunk got trashed by investors, shedding 10.91% yesterday.

They’re an example of another software company that actually isn’t profitable but has a huge market cap considering huge hype. It’s absolutely insane to think that a company that lost 32 cents a share this most recent quarter should have a market cap of 23 billion bananas.

Thought Banana

Been Here Before — Watching the broader markets generally backslide and some of your net worth evaporate is challenging. For some of you, you’ve been here before. For others, this literally is your first rodeo.

If this is the first time you’re watching markets get crushed by fear and low confidence in the broader economy, here’s some life (non-financial) advice: it’s not the end of the world.

Markets have been here before, and they will be here again.

It turns out that most of the money you’ll make investing in your life is made in a bear market. Continually buying stonks at all-time highs is no fun, and it’s impossible to make money buying at those levels.

There are a ton of great businesses out there whose multiples have contracted because that’s the way the wind is blowing. They will return to their former glory, and they will climb above and beyond their all-time highs that seem far in the rearview mirror right now.

At the same time, other assets and companies will not survive. Some companies go to zero because they should. Whether they are a fraud or their business isn’t actually successful, when liquidity dries up, so do opportunities for phantom or zombie companies.

We may have witnessed a shitcoin exodus that could never have happened in 2020 or 2021. $2Bn were wiped out this weekend, and as the market continues to tumble, crypto will probably see a prolonged selloff.

When I was a young investor, I had a big loss on a speculative bet in an airline stock that had declared bankruptcy, but I thought there was a takeover bid from another airline that would result in a big payday.

I lost about 50% of my initial investment. It was a 1500 dollar loss, which is not a lot of money over the course of a lifetime in the markets. But to me, it was a huge loss. I learned a lot, and I licked my wounds for probably too long, eventually limping back into stocks a few months later.

My point is this: an early loss when you have a long timeline in front of you can be a good thing. I always say your first loss is your best loss because it’s the greatest opportunity to learn from your mistake.

If you’re down 50% this year, this probably doesn’t sound comforting. However, if you stick with it and never repeat a mistake, eventually, you’ll be rolling in it.

Wise Investor Says

“The four most dangerous words in investing are: ‘this time it’s different.’” — Sir John Templeton

Happy Investing, Patrick & The Daily Peel Team Was this email forwarded to you? Sign up for the WSO Daily Peel here.   ADVERTISE // WSO ALPHA // COURSES // LEGAL

Join 110,000+ Wise Primates

Subscribe to get the most critical market moves each morning, Monday through Friday.

Excepturi non quia sed quaerat quo rerum vitae qui. Ea vel maiores et voluptas. Delectus reiciendis aut voluptas quia minus. Deleniti magnam quisquam voluptatibus ut. In enim sint sit aliquam ut soluta. Tempora quam exercitationem est et et maxime.

Quas iste aut corrupti consequatur facilis. Facere quidem reprehenderit necessitatibus fuga pariatur ipsum consequatur.

Hic ut ad suscipit eos eaque. Aspernatur placeat pariatur eos minima tenetur tempore sed hic. Reprehenderit corporis placeat maiores ea saepe vitae. Rerum numquam odit mollitia.

Iusto amet totam optio expedita ducimus est molestiae et. Consequatur ut illum vel omnis esse quod ut.

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (89) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”