2021 UK undergrad, no BB/EB summer, thoughts on SA/grad applications 2021?

Undergrad student in the UK at a top 10 uni but still non-target imo (think Bristol, Durham, Loughborough, Bath)

Missed out on 2020 SA opportunities due to current internship (Research in Global Markets running (Aug 19- Aug2020).

Anyone have thoughts on 2021 recruitment cycle for front office IB - M&A, or generalist role? - Do I go for SA position or apply FT grad at BB/EB?

Not planning to take a masters due to funding ...

Anyone have thoughts on chances / tips? Previous spring intern at a BB.

3 Comments
 
Most Helpful

Was in a similar position to you, decided just to apply for summers again and it paid off (very hard to get into IB FT without SA. A lot of the EBs and some BBs (barclays off the top of my head) open their internships for finalists as well.

For the places that don't, I just said I was planning on doing a masters, and if I got an offer I'd have just made an excuse as to why I can't do it (funding, family etc). The vibe I got from most places was that they really don't mind as long as they like you and are happy for you to take a year out and travel etc which is what I'm doing now.

Just make sure you build your story appropriately (i.e why you're moving from research into IB) and you'll be a very competitive candidate - best of luck

 

Incidunt alias quisquam odio molestias assumenda deleniti nihil. Ea dolorum animi deserunt iste itaque. Eligendi earum quis cum nostrum voluptatem. Laborum eveniet consequatur adipisci sed quis. Tempora alias accusantium dolores consequatur.

Sit cumque libero ut nulla. Praesentium quod quidem exercitationem voluptatem. Dignissimos ut et aut nisi amet. Non et aut numquam culpa.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (57) $264
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

1
redever's picture
redever
99.2
2
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
99.0
3
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
99.0
4
kanon's picture
kanon
99.0
5
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
98.9
6
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
98.9
7
dosk17's picture
dosk17
98.9
8
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
98.9
9
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
98.9
10
bolo up's picture
bolo up
98.8
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”