500+ exists into PE analysed

Do I have too much spare time? Perhaps yeah, but it's a bit of downtime in the office so I thought I would look at the backgrounds of people who went into PE.

I went through LinkedIn profiles of around 500 people in PE roles (range of hierarchy positions) - and noted down where they worked at previously.

I only noted BB and EB - quite a lot of guys came from Big 3 Consultancy, barely any from MM and about 40 from big financial institutions such as Nomura and BNP… but there were too many firms to note down.

Is this flawed? Yes, in various ways, but I did this more as an 'experiment' and something to do to see what sort of banks PE guys worked at before making the jump.

What I found:

• Top 3 BB are massively represented compared to Tier 2 BB, I didn't realise the gap was that big

• Surprisingly CS was the 2nd highest represented Tier 2 BB

• EB exits are still great, of course their numbers are much lower compared to institutions of thousands of people: although surprised at how low GUGG placed

• Surprised to see Rothschild top the list of EBs, but again that could be because it's got a much larger headcount over the likes of Evercore

[Comment removed by mod team]

[Comment removed by mod team]

Interesting to see. Esp the EBs — It looks like every one places about the same on a per capita basis (with the exception of Gugg, as you mentioned). Two questions:

1. Are these global exits or only Europe? I know of some EBs that have placed into firms that you have 0 for.

2. Are you including all types of employees (such as MDs and Principals) at PE firms? That could explain why firms like Roths or Laz have high placement (b/c they have been around for a while so have more classes exiting).

1. All geographies. What I did was very simple:
  • Type company name into LinkedIn
  • Look at employees
  • Scroll through about 7 pages of employees so I have roughly 30 profiles
  • Jot down the bank they’re exited from

I’m sure I missed loads, for example going through all employees at Apollo would take hours, so it is very likely, especially for boutiques, I missed many. That’s the flaw of this analysis, but as mentioned it was more of a snapshot then a 100% accurate representation

1. All types of employees yes

Very disappointed to see the lack of representation of Tobin & Co. I -I mean JUSTINE- built this absolutely amazing EB from the ground up, and it has amazing placement into top LMM PE firms. 

I wouldn’t imagine it would be dramatically different to be honest, I’d say 60%+ of the profiles I looked at were London based.

Maybe that’s because I am based in The U.K. and the London-based profiles were appearing first.

I mean although this might seem like as ‘having too much time’, I’d say that for somebody who wants to get into private equity like me, doing stuff like this isn’t a bad thing at all as you get a clear view of where you need to be to get into PE.

I come from a massive non-target Uk uni and have broken into IB, and I spent lots of hours doing similar things for the IB industry.

Things like this and general research allow you to understand the industry better imo - I had not idea what BB/EB/MM even mean a year or so ago tbh, just like now I’m familiarising myself with the different tiers of PE houses.

This is an useless exercise. Nobody cares. I "broke" into IB 11 years from a school that bulge brackets didn't recruit from, but once I had passed the psychometric tests, and received a first round, literally nobody cared about the school though it did help to have alums there, who were doing well. For analyst recruiting back then, folks cared way more about schools and rankings in the US than they do in the UK. UK back then was much better in the sense that it was a fairly structured process on how to get an interview, and if you did basic reach outs, not going overboard like the way in the US (please refer me to him/her, please refer me to your dad, now please refer me to your MD, and finally I would now like to speak with your cat or dog, whoever is available), you're good, because in the UK, nobody does it. They just put in their application, and hope for the best. 

Interesting analysis.

One thing I think worth pointing out that the numbers are also likely influenced by personality type similarities - the people who are most likely to work at GS/JPM/MS are probably more likely to have the personality/desire to do PE after banking. Like if you are the type to try super hard for your career and are willing to work at one of those banks, you probably are doing it because you want to do/stay in PE afterwards.

They definitely also exit easier to these firms, but I think there is some correlation to personality groupings.

Harum beatae magnam repellendus est est deleniti. Qui voluptas nobis est quas sapiente possimus. Maiores unde provident alias esse nesciunt. Maiores est nam voluptates sequi. Consequatur nihil nesciunt optio rerum. Odit recusandae iure dolores voluptas.

Aut est sed culpa ad et dolorum. Officiis praesentium mollitia et amet. Odit aperiam enim blanditiis. Molestiae reprehenderit consequatur unde.

Amet excepturi quia debitis explicabo. Qui eum architecto delectus. Quaerat et vero alias est dolorum perferendis id. Consequuntur dolorem aliquam ea unde aut. Ipsum aliquid aut omnis provident quis. Quis dolores qui placeat sed possimus.

Repudiandae pariatur illo officiis autem reiciendis. Quibusdam a at beatae sed rerum alias incidunt. Vero a velit harum aut modi aut at. Voluptatem debitis eum minima ut temporibus. Nostrum harum possimus corporis.

Ut vel culpa voluptate quisquam. Repellendus culpa quod odit. Quisquam aperiam eum eos maiores voluptate sed quis consequatur.

Ab hic velit qui quos. Ut possimus quod odio rem. Fuga unde soluta doloremque omnis et unde non eum. Enim quaerat qui asperiores. Eos eveniet vel in. Natus necessitatibus reiciendis vitae.

Eius quod inventore dolores doloremque voluptatem et optio. Qui id eveniet molestiae iusto suscipit.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”