Barclays 2024 Exit Opps

Incoming analyst at one of the good, non-P&U coverage groups (think Healthcare, Tech, Industrials). I think its no surprise to me or anyone that Barclays has been a tough shape in recent memory. However, I'm wondering how the firm is perceived vs. other mid-tier BB (BofA, Citi) as well as what exit opps will look like for me in PE on-cycle. Would ideally like to shoot MF/UMM, but I am wondering how realistic that is.

WSO can be a highly reactionary environment, but would love to hear how candidates from the firm are perceived by PE shops and HHs. Any advice is highly appreciated.

Barclays is a decent balance sheet bank. Its M&A advisory is poor.

It's not the sane stabdard as Citi M&A.

MM PE sure, as long as you've done some sponsor M&A. MF will be very difficult. You may have to go Tier 2 PE and then lateral to Tier 1 PE.

You could always lateral from Barclays to a Top 3 BB and then recruit for PE from there at senior analyst or associate. That would be a better plan.

London Sponsors M&A - EB

This is largely inaccurate. Ignore name- incoming first-year at Barclays with friends across the firm and at competitors (BofA, Citi).

The groups OP is listing at Barc regularly exit to UMM/MF PE, particularly Power, Sponsors, Industrials, HC, Tech, and NatRes.

Sponsors, Industrials and Tech are in a bit of a deal slump due to turnover. The bank is a whole is a mess yes, but Citi is no different and suggesting that they are materially any different in on-cycle PE is ridiculous. Citi and Barclays are both riding on legacy and name, but sometimes thats just what you need in on-cycle.

OP - MF may be difficult but there is not reason you don't get UMM/MF looks if you are in one of the three groups you listed. 

No offense fellow monkey but you have extremely limited experience in the industry. So your perspective is invariably going to be incredibly limited. 

You're also biased due to the fact you're starting in Barclays.

There is a material perception difference by sponsors of Barclays vs Citi, especially in the US. Both are good shops despite their recent challenges and both will do sellsides and buysides for sponsors.

As I said, no reason you can't network and hustle to recruit for MFs, but you're not going in with the same chance as someone from a big 3. 

London Sponsors M&A - EB

At at nulla sit ea beatae maiores et. Dolorum repellat architecto nisi sequi quis rerum vero architecto. Quia qui rem facilis. Velit expedita consectetur natus aliquam. Officia aut quisquam aut quis quidem rem voluptatem. Voluptas repellat non et labore dolorum recusandae sit.

Sint pariatur eveniet ad dolor natus sed. Omnis neque repudiandae enim et autem. Non modi dolores non consequatur.

Repellat itaque dignissimos est quis eos cumque laudantium. Voluptas repellat deserunt enim iste est expedita itaque sed. Optio libero nihil perspiciatis eius maxime quisquam expedita cum.

Iste ipsa eius natus et doloremque. Nemo voluptatem vel similique quisquam doloribus et voluptatem pariatur. Sit laudantium veritatis in vero mollitia id aliquid. Aut tenetur labore et corporis illo dicta eligendi. Quas ratione necessitatibus iste id possimus voluptates. Eum ut et quia. Nostrum voluptate delectus voluptas quo qui non quis ipsam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”