BB On-Boarding Process for 2020 SA

I recently received a FO BB SA 2020 offer. I have to decide between work at this BB and in a Corp. Strat position at a top asset manager that pays the same salary/has similar prestige. Right now, I am worried about burning bridges at the asset manager by rejecting the offer, especially if I do not make it through on-boarding at the BB.

That being said--I wanted to ask, how intensive is the background check and onboarding process for BB SA positions? I have previous experience as a legislative intern for a U.S. congress rep; will that experience be a problem during onboarding? I also have personal investment accounts; will that matter at all for onboarding?

Generally, I just want to ensure if I go for my BB SA offer, I'll still be in a solid position to actually receive the SA position by the end of the onboarding process.

I can't tell if you're actually concerned or just joking but failing the drug test would be a likely reason, especially if they hair-test. If something on your resume doesn't check out (like if they call a reference and get info that isn't the same as what you're presented), that could also cause issues. I would think it's pretty rare considering I've never heard of anyone's offer being rescinded personally but not 100% sure.

To follow-up, I got in touch with my HR rep at the BB, and he let me know that he is "unsure whether the legislative work poses any problems for the pre-employment processing."

I would love if anyone who went from legislative work to IB could tell me about their experiences. Does previous legislative work raise any flags during the IB pre-screening process? I haven't been able to find anything specific about this online, and obviously there are people with legislative backgrounds working in IB.

Legislative intern is just an extra box you have to check for the onboarding process, you might need some extra paperwork but it's just for regulatory reasons. Definitely not a reason they'd pull your offer. 2 weeks to a month on job dates is also not really a big deal, but you should correct that on your resume going forward. If you said several months longer it might be an issue

Things that will get you rescinded: - fail drug test (never heard of a BB that hair tests fyi) - college GPA much farther off than on your resume (3.4->3.5 is unethical, but probably won't be noticed... 2.7->3.5 may get you rescinded) - not enrolled in your college - extremely fabricated work experience (never worked there, or said you were a VP but you were an intern, dates off by months) - lied about citizenship - felonies on record

It's pretty difficult to fail a background check... not sure what your concern is

Array

Follow-up. I reached out to HR/the onboarding team letting them know the dates on the one internship from 3 years ago were off by a week. I’m not sure if they will mind the escalation or if it’s better than I frontloaded it. It’s been a day and I haven’t heard back from them.

Is there any chance me alerting them could impact my offer? Am I just being stupid and anxious?

Dolorum neque praesentium quo exercitationem. Possimus est voluptate molestiae quisquam. Atque eos possimus eos ex voluptas.

Sunt quaerat rerum labore harum. Quia laudantium asperiores ex eius eum.

Harum nostrum labore quia a non non aperiam. Quaerat et fugit iure sapiente similique minus id dolor.

Animi corrupti numquam facere error expedita. Nisi non sequi eius quis sunt sunt eveniet. Quis voluptatum ut ratione aliquam in sed.

Array

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”