London SA 2020- Waiting List?

Hi guys,
Since I applied in September, I got some rejections from some banks and also some updates to "application review" after doing the tests (which I think I passed).
I haven't heard from many large banks and boutiques (BAML, Jeffries, Roth, JP, GS) and I'm waiting for an upgrade for the AC in CS (the only bank which contacted me quickly to do a phone interview after the tests).

I consider I have a good CV, with good grades and also two internships, one in VC and another one in Consulting (and I'm in the third year of university) so I really don't know why they are letting me wait until everything is closed. If at least they told me that I've not been selected, I would be fine, but the thing is that i'm still "under review" in many cases.
I'm getting frustrated and nervous because it seems that everything is done, and I had no chance, given that I had worked hard to get a good and nice CV.

Thoughts?

Thank you

Most Helpful

There's no such a waiting list, most banks are closing or have already closed their classes, you will get the rejection letter soon (sometimes they even send them in february)

I guess here that the main issue is your university, which is not a target and makes hard to get a foot in. If I were you I would try to get a M&A internship during the school year or during summer in some good or no-name boutique and try from there to jump-in into a low-mid tier BB

Thank you, It just seems unfair that after passing their tests (which some are difficult), they just let you under consideration until rejection, because I'm not a target. I worked hard to get where I am, and that's what they should value. Not if I had the money to go to a private school or not, but the ability to grind until to get whether I wanted.

After this, I've seen what banks do stand for. So I guess I'll wait until I see that rejection

To be honest in Spain there is way a huge difference when it comes to education between the top 5 private universities (Pontificio, Esade, Deussto, Cunef, IE), correct me if i am wrong, from the rest of private & public universities. Grades are not worth the same, even between these target unis, and having same grades and resume, I would definitely hire a Pontificia, an Esade or a Deussto guy as their undergrads are way harder (no idea about masters, have never encountered guys with masters from these unis at my BB, just from IE).

There was once an undergrad from one of thesr non-targets at my BB, with stellar grades, he got a shot but failed too hard compared with the rest of the interns, it's only 1 guy but its true that people from some unis tend not to fail.

So it's not about looking for the branding, but the high-level education that is scarce in those non-target universities.

I am completely clueless, but arent there scholarships in Spain? Even if there was no such an option, getting some debt and investing in your education, in yourself, could have helped you to land this gig. In any case, dont think that going to a target makes the path easy, Spain is nowhere close from UK, where target unis make it so easy for students.

If you cant get the position you want, think about working 1-2 years at a Big4 M&A, doing a masters and aiming a BB/EB.

Eos cumque velit et ab provident. Sint eum dolorem dolor at. Voluptas maxime sit sint corporis aperiam est. Vitae facere sit molestias eveniet ut hic expedita. Et perferendis corporis veniam qui.

Reiciendis ipsa in enim quisquam. Molestiae voluptate sint eaque earum. Illo est quo eligendi rerum aperiam molestiae. Consequatur quia modi dolorem recusandae iusto qui. Accusamus quaerat nostrum et repellat cumque saepe repellendus consequatur. Maiores excepturi et adipisci culpa nam. Et iure quos quia quos perspiciatis repellendus enim.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”