Minnesota IB 2024

Wanted to get a 2024 check on the state of Minnesota banking. I'm a U of M student considering staying home and recruiting for one of the shops in MPLS. I am mainly interested in HL RX, HL P&U, Piper Sandler, and HW. I'm curious about culture/deal flow as opposed to NYC counterparts. 

Nothing. It’s cute.

I really have nothing to add beyond perhaps checking on LinkedIn
(Pro tip if you google “investment banking analyst (or whatever position) Minnesota LinkedIn” you can bypass the search limitations on the LinkedIn app (unless you have premium then disregard)

You can also run a search on brokercheck by location. I’ve done that in the past to verify if someone is actually doing IB (if they have correct and current licenses)

Piper MN is their headquarters and has most of the groups except for FIG

Most Helpful

Lol... you know, because the news isn't incentivized to sensationalize anything. 

IB scene in Minneapolis is sneaky good. Piper HC & Serv/Industrials teams are really good, HW food is top notch. Houlihan has a good Ind/Services team there plus Rx... Lazard also has some decent teams. Hennipen Partners is LMM but is a really solid shop (most guys are ex-Lazard), Northborne Partners is similar to HP but have been absolutely on fire in the LMM and have heard they have a pretty solid culture. There are other boutiques but they come with their own set of issues. 

Julian up there seems to be reading google more than spending time in the area. It is a pretty sick area when you consider income vs. cost of living and a lot of the PE shops that I talk to regularly are noticing the amount of talent in the area. Regularly hear people making a point to get to Minny (I have good vibes with the place so I can call it that) because they can have a solid day or two of quality meetings. 

Downtown is quieter but not the MadMax scene that everyone thinks. If you can get a solid gig with a solid group, it is a pretty sweet area if you don't mind a little cold. 

All (HL, Piper, Lazard MM, HW) are solid MM shops that mostly want to keep you around if that's the goal. Can place you into MM PE if that's your plan as well. Cost of living is by far more advantageous if you were to do MM banking in NYC, SF, or even Chicago. I think many have has a slower year from M&A conditions over the past ~12 months, but deal flow should be picking back up in the near term, or at least pitch activity. Most if not all the groups (that I've talked to at least) have more of a midwest culture, so going to be more laid back personalities with smaller offices compared to larger city counterparts

Itaque sapiente et est qui at molestiae. Voluptas rem praesentium vel nihil. Doloribus officia doloribus voluptatem voluptatem voluptates aut. Minima adipisci rem voluptas qui deserunt deleniti architecto. Id minima odio beatae possimus labore.

Impedit esse perspiciatis possimus. Iure eos illo voluptate quia. In harum aut et earum modi dolorem. Qui quasi rem eveniet qui quod aperiam cupiditate. Ea saepe eos sed quo dolorum. Quia nam molestiae et fuga dolores consectetur ex.

Quas cum eius voluptates accusantium quod odit ad maxime. Voluptatem doloribus labore numquam sit repudiandae. Dolor omnis autem a at aut eum possimus amet.

In est corporis omnis neque occaecati molestiae et. Reprehenderit laudantium veritatis voluptatem officiis. Voluptates deserunt nostrum error dolor et.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”