Non-Target Success Stories (Updated for 2020)

Wanted to create a more updated forum for non-target guys and girls to post about their successes in breaking into the industry. As a NT candidate who was able to secure a SA spot and convert it to a FT position at a top tier bank, I often looked to these forums to get advice about what I could be doing better, or just to get a little pick me up if things weren't going so hot. Please feel free to share your story, I guarantee you there's someone out there who wants to hear it.

Most Helpful

Not exactly a success story yet, but who knows. Want to share it anyway.

I was in a b-school in Europe, complete non-target even in its city. Had to drop out after two years due to the financial reasons - my scholarship was over. Had to return to my home country in frontier/emerging economy, where after months of struggles I was able to secure an analyst position at a local stock exchange. During the interview, despite not having finished my degree yet, I highlighted that I will continue to do my degree online - so I started studying for ACCA/ MSc UniLondon (very low cost). What got me an offer is four years of volunteering where I managed to recruit 100+ volunteers and manage pro-bono projects with a team of 30+.

It was a lot of fun and interesting stuff there - I got to do everything from market analysis to capital markets legislation review, from listing requirements review to assisting in developing new stock exchange products to assisting in capital markets infrastructure reforms. Got to meet a lot of interesting people from different stock exchanges throughout the world, local VPs and MDs as well as foreign MDs coming to the country for investment opportunities, even had a chance to talk to senior SEC guys.

Six months down the line, started getting offers from MDs in my country. One year after I got the position at the stock exchange, I picked the best from these offers - for a respected MM IB / retail brokerage in the region that expanded into my country so they were hiring just one analyst for ER and IB, and I got that one spot. So now I am working in tie with the MD of my country's office and with analysts/senior analysts from the head office in another country (through WhatsApp etc.). Pretty much happy about the place, but planning to transfer to Europe to a BB for Associate once I finish my ACCA in couple years, and will start doing CFA.

“Destiny is a gift. Some go their entire lives, living existences of quiet desperation, never learning the truth that what feels as though a burden pushing down upon their shoulders is really a sense of purpose that lifts us to greater heights. Never forget that fear is but the precursor to valor, that to strive and triumph in the face of fear is what it means to be a hero. Don’t think. Become.”

non target, learned about banking beginning of sophomore year, grinded a ton doing networking calls and studying technicals from november-now, managed to land a spot at mid tier BB after going through only one process (had to pull out of others)

the non target grind was crazy but worth it (not discounting targets in any way, they're at a target for a reason) but seeing all the hard work come to fruition was the best feeling ever - would love to hear about other non target success stories

Et aut sed aut vel eveniet suscipit sunt. Sunt harum a ipsa architecto distinctio.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”