Most Helpful

Aside from inflation it hasn't changed much at the analyst or associate level. If anything compensation has gone up at those levels. When you hear people refer to pre 2008 as the "good ole days" they're referring to senior banker comp and less bureaucracy. Dodd-Frank called for a lot more compliance and risk management at these bulge bracket banks. This has added to the IBD cost center causing senior banker comp to go down. I've heard stories of MDs taking home 50.0% - 60.0% of their fees back then. Now it's closer to 30.0% - 40.0% to help alleviate the added compliance and risk management costs. There was also less competition and pricing transparency back then so fees were likely higher too. Further, every new deal at BB probably goes through 3 or 4 different committees to be reviewed for headline risk, profitability and marketability whereas there was much less of that 10 - 15 years ago.

I should edit that my experience is limited to MM IBD. Pretty standard for MM bankers to get that. I was told HW gives 40% to MDs by my old MD. My old firm gave 30.0% to MDs. I'm sure BBs are little less but would be surprised if they're lower than 20.0%. At some point it would be more advantageous to go to a MM bank if you have the relationships.

I know that Greenhill has a policy for new MDs where they will get 40% of their fees. I think that it goes down over time, but an analyst that I spoke with mentioned this to me when he was talking about the burn out at the junior level. Makes sense I suppose....larger cuts at the senior level=more stress for juniors.

Array

Not at all. A super star MD at HW is bringing in probably ~$20mm - $30mm in fees. So yeah he's taking home $6mm - $9mm at 40.0% of his fees assuming he hit his budget. That's a super star and just think of all the bankers that only do $5mm - $10mm in fees. If they're not taking home 30% they would be better off being an audit partner at a big 4 firm.

Not sure what you think these guys are doing in fees each year and how many deals they're closing. MDs are lucky if they close 3-5 deals a year and a lot of these deals in the middle market are below $100mm in EV. Further, there's a lot more pricing transparency out there and fees as % of EV are being squeezed. Very few MDs, BB included, are pulling in fees north of $20mm a year.

The massive fees you see at the BB are getting split amongst the coverage banker, M&A banker, LevFin banker, group head of each of those groups and likely the head of IB. I'd be shocked if the pot for all of those bankers isn't at least 20.0% of the fees. I'm sure some of it is deferred in the form of stock and tied into hitting their budget, but fairly certain 20% - 40$ of deal fee is market for an MD to take home.

Edit: I also think you're underestimating just how low the overhead and how profitable each head in IBD is - especially at a MM IBD. They can definitely afford to give the MDs 30% - 40%.

CHItizen:
Also I would like to know what that associate who made 600k did. Also the one who made 110k.

The same thing...with en extreme disparity in skill level (assuming meritocracy)

Eaque facilis sed qui nesciunt nemo quidem. Occaecati vero accusamus aut voluptatem deleniti a placeat reiciendis. Sequi unde velit occaecati. Et et perferendis qui deleniti vel ex.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 18 98.3%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (91) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (68) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”