How are Students thinking about SA 2025 Recruiting?

Although my summer analyst years are over, I want to hear how students are thinking about SA 2025 recruiting?

I’ve connected with many internal recruiters who have mixed opinions on recruiting kids so early. There are multiple concerns, such as reneging for a better offer, deciding that IB isn’t the path you want to take, and general forces of life that could interfere.
Most important of all, being 18/19 and in college, there are so many things that can change your path in life.

I want to hear how students are handling offers and conversations? Especially when many boutiques and EBs might recruit later on, and make more sense for an SA role. Are you all considering the fact that you may decide IB isn’t for you? Or that you may get a better offer?

Thank you in advance, I’m genuinely curious. Best of luck to all as you navigate SA recruiting, I know it can be competitive and stressful.

Based on the most helpful WSO content, the sentiment around SA 2025 recruiting among students seems to be a mix of excitement, stress, and strategic planning. The early recruitment process, while offering a sense of security to some, also brings about concerns regarding long-term commitment and the possibility of changing career paths. Here's a breakdown of how students might be thinking about and handling SA 2025 recruiting:

1. Early Commitment Concerns: Students are aware of the pressures and uncertainties of committing to a career in investment banking at such an early stage. The concerns you've mentioned, such as the possibility of reneging for a better offer or realizing that IB isn't the right path, are very much on their minds. The dynamic nature of college life and personal growth during these years means that many are cautious about making such early decisions.

2. Strategic Networking and Research: Students are increasingly focusing on networking not just to secure offers but to gain deeper insights into the culture and expectations of different firms. This includes reaching out to current analysts, associates, and even attending firm presentations to better understand what a career in IB entails and whether it aligns with their long-term goals.

3. Weighing Options Between Boutiques, EBs, and BBs: There's a strategic approach to handling offers and recruitment timelines. Some students might accept early offers from BBs for the security it provides, while others hold out for opportunities at boutiques and EBs, which might recruit later but offer experiences more aligned with their interests. The decision often hinges on personal career goals, risk tolerance, and the perceived prestige and learning opportunities at each firm.

4. Contingency Planning: Given the competitive nature of IB recruiting, students are also considering backup plans. This includes exploring internships in related fields such as private equity, asset management, or consulting as alternatives that can still pave the way for a successful career in finance.

5. Reflection and Self-Assessment: Amidst the rush of recruiting, there's a growing recognition of the importance of self-reflection. Students are asking themselves whether they are genuinely interested in investment banking or if they are being swayed by external factors like peer pressure or the allure of high salaries.

In summary, students navigating SA 2025 recruiting are balancing their excitement and aspirations with a healthy dose of realism about the challenges and uncertainties of early career decisions. They are employing a mix of strategic networking, thorough research, and personal reflection to make informed choices about their futures in investment banking. Best of luck to all those in the recruiting process—it's indeed a journey that requires both resilience and strategic thinking.

Sources: How are you guys holding up? (@ sophomores still recruiting for SA 2022), 2020 SA Recruiting for International Student, https://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forum/investment-banking/will-2020-recruiting-ft-and-sa-be-accelerated-or-be-more-relaxed?customgpt=1, What % of offers do you think have been given to SA 2021?, https://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forum/job-search/re-recruiting-for-ft-2025?customgpt=1

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Sophomore who just finished recruiting for SA 2025 signed with Moe/PJT/Laz/Evr diversity so i was earlier.) Like you said, I had so many doubts and questions about if this is what I want to do (hint: it’s not really) but when I got the offer I was like okay I’m just going to take it and be done and not try to switch between banks with marginal differences 👍 life may happen but i’ll figure it out as i go like i always have

Mollitia maiores delectus ad libero dicta. Delectus est quidem qui non esse dolor est nemo.

Voluptatem harum sed natus. Vel reprehenderit sunt eveniet eum ullam aut. Reiciendis sunt voluptatibus ut accusantium est magnam occaecati. Vitae et nemo dignissimos dolores debitis.

Dolore id repellendus aut labore qui culpa rerum. Reiciendis aut non consectetur. Dolorum quas aut dolorum enim sunt nostrum voluptatem aut. Sed aut eligendi veritatis sed. Qui ullam occaecati molestiae delectus molestiae. Rerum voluptates nihil modi. Exercitationem corrupti ad ducimus.

Qui iste natus id. Placeat ipsum qui perferendis ut similique omnis ex. Ipsum non omnis quae et repudiandae. Suscipit aut iure perferendis ratione temporibus aut. Dolores totam aut ipsa qui et reprehenderit. Ea consequatur voluptatem molestiae nam neque.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”