London 2024 SA - Application count

Some background information, I graduate in ‘25 and did a intern in insurance this summer and goto a Target school.

I have applied to about ~ 70 roles across IBD , ER , AM across summer analyst positions and placements

70 applications in, 2 rejections after failing the tests, ~ 4 second round VIs so far and pending on the remainder

Am I applying to too many internships which is causing my quality to be low or should I just wait for responses?

Hey there! It sounds like you're really putting yourself out there, which is great. Applying to a large number of roles can increase your chances of landing an interview, but it's also important to ensure that each application is tailored and of high quality.

From the WSO threads, it's clear that there's no magic number of applications. Some people apply to as many as 50+ firms, while others take a more targeted approach. The key is to strike a balance between quantity and quality.

Remember, the skills you're developing in this process, such as selling yourself and making a good impression, are invaluable for your career. So, keep going, stay positive, and don't forget to follow up on your applications. Good luck!

Sources: A non-target's failure, How many IB internships did you apply to?

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Most Helpful

Same boat as you. Have applied to 50 since late August, semi-target with good grades, good extra-curriculars and highly relevant internship recently completed w/ return offer. I've had 4 straight up rejections, 6 HVs from firms that I really wanted them from, and rest I've probably been silently dinged on. I think that the numbers game is very important, especially with the current recruiting environment, but defo important to not let it compromise the quality of each application you send out. Could probably have applied to more, but have been really keen to get my main applications out the door at a very high standard, and that's definitely helped me with a decent ratio of being processed to next stage. 

In terms of difficulty:

RX was probably the hardest and had a group study and an excel test 

For IB I had two ACs and got 1, I applied to many IB roles , probably 30 plus

For ER I had one AC and got it, I applied for 2 Equity Research roles and 1 Economic Research role

IB and ER had no group exercises for me, individual behavioural and technical interviews

AM was probably the easiest of the bunch, most of the questions were about rates given the current news, got 2 ACs for this. 

Overall, I had applied to around 100 firms, probably more 

My stats:

~85 apps --> 8 ACs (did 5) --> 2 offers (+ awaiting 1 response)

Profile:

Semi target with multiple springs, somewhat related summer, multiple society leadership roles.

Super happy with where I signed but ngl absolutely killed myself for recruiting. Never worked as hard as that in my life ever and completely fucked a uni exam I just did but should bring it back up to a 1st with further exams this year.

probably applied to around 70 mainly IB

6 first rounds 

3 AC offers

1 IB SA

complete non target but 4 relevant internships

Also over the moon with where I signed, worked extremely hard to get the offer, hope to convert

Iusto facere tempore dolores beatae totam quia iusto. Ut consequatur quia culpa neque provident corrupti. Beatae repellat repellat magnam reiciendis.

Inventore voluptatem culpa voluptatem veniam magni necessitatibus. Molestiae magni laborum a veniam magni. Laboriosam error ut facere explicabo et omnis maxime.

Ullam laborum facere qui voluptas corrupti quasi reiciendis ut. Nemo quos doloribus ut quam. Dolorem corporis repudiandae inventore sed.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
numi's picture
numi
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”