Networking stats: emails sent: 363. Replies: 2 (:

I feel like total shit. I feel like I'm worthless. Out of these 363, 302 are from my school. The rest either had experience in my past company or had CFA work, which I used as an email prompt since I'm a L2 candidate.

To be fair, 98 out of these were on LinkedIn because I just couldn't find their emails. And actually, I had the two replies from LinkedIn. The two replies were successfully turned into phone calls. One was a PE intern from my school's MBA class, and one was a BA at McKinsey. I have followed easy but formal format suggested here on this site, to absolutely no avail.

I'm from a target, and I just don't know what tf is wrong. Worst thing? I heard a friend today say that all people do actually reply to him. I looked at his email format, it's the same as mine. Idk if he's being truthful but you get how awful this is. I fucking hate my life.

Most Helpful

Typically, I would chalk this up to a numbers game, but 2/362 is a huge outlier outcome to the downside, so something must be wrong with your approach. Without knowing any of the details, here are a couple common problem areas I see with other candidates worth considering:

• Are you sure there are no issues with your email format? Are you personalizing them at all? If you share a redacted sample we can provide feedback
  • Why are you unable to find so many people's emails? Every major firm uses the same format. I never check my LinkedIn for example so you would lose me 
  • What time of the day/week are you sending your emails? I won't answer any networking emails sent over the weekend and am less likely to answer if I am jammed when I receive them
  • Are you following up with any of these people? When I was recruiting for IB that increased my reply rate a lot
  • Are you attaching your resume to these emails? If so, there may be an issue there worth looking in

"Dear Name,

My name is Name, I'm currently a student at [university] majoring in [major]. I found your contact through alumni database. I'm very interested in your work.

I understand the time constraints that you have, but I'd genuinely be grateful if you're open to a brief call next week. I'd like to ask a few questions related to your work at company and time at school.

Thank you for your time.

Best,

Name"

This is the format I've followed mostly.

still think this is too formal unless you're messaging boomers. i'd change "very interested in your work" to "very interested in [investment banking or whatever] and specifically at [x bank]". and would def change "i'd like to as a few questions" to "i'd love to pick your brain on your experiences at [x bank] and time at school!"

i get the "easy but formal" format but think you leaned heavy on formal. also add an exclamation point somewhere to show you have some form of optimism - as much as this is just a transaction, the more they feel like you just wanna have a conversation and see where it goes, the better.

"Dear Name,

My name is Name, I'm currently a student at [university] majoring in [major]. I found your contact through alumni database. I'm very interested in your work.

I understand the time constraints that you have, but I'd genuinely be grateful if you're open to a brief call next week. I'd like to ask a few questions related to your work at company and time at school.

Thank you for your time.

Best,

Name"

This is the format I've followed mostly.

This is only one jabroni's feedback but too formal and impersonal. You might be someone fun to speak to for all I know but your email doesn't convey it at all and so I'm likely not responding to it. I don't ignore to be an asshole but because I (along with many others) get tons of these generic, non-descript emails and 99% of them tend to be people with boring questions and canned pitches that I can't do much with. Help me get excited to help you, which for me means a resume I can sell to ranks above me without seeming stupid (doesn't have to be perfect but can't be too far a reach) and a personality I'd like to add to the team.

If you’re reaching out for 2023 sadly many firms are done recruiting and likely aren’t interested in speaking.

If that’s the case I would suggest reaching out to MM to LMM firms. I had a similar experience in a previous cycle. Keep at it something will stick.

I've got an offer and am reaching out to desks I'm interested in and people still aren't responding LMAO

Maybe I’m just the village asshole here - but I don’t think your format is all that personal. I probably get 15-20 of those generic outreach emails a week and I think most people in the industry are a little desensitized to them these days (the amount of them I get from people in the APAC region trying to break in / move stateside is insane). I genuinely applaud anyone with the hustle to make the effort but there needs to be a personal connection or touch. Otherwise you unfortunately can become white noise in an already busy concert hall.

wow that is an insane amount of emails to receive a week. Only during recruiting season I presume? I suspect falls to 0-1 /week during other parts of year

What is an example of something that can actually make you interested? 

This is an out-of-left-field response, but some emails might have been flagged as spam if you've been sending similar-phrased emails.

I would go to their LinkedIn and would mention their current/prior roles, why that specific role is interesting to you (and what relevant things you've been seeing in the market), and if they're available for a coffee/Zoom call/etc. By phrasing it as a dialogue about their day-to-day, more people might be willing to respond to you for a conversation. Besides the spam point, I suspect everyone who has received the emails knows that your ultimate goal is to be hired; in this environment where hiring freezes are the norm, some might not respond because they don't think they can provide any true help.

--Death, lighter than a feather; duty, heavier than a mountain

Quasi pariatur excepturi sequi sed. Itaque voluptatem recusandae non officiis eaque possimus id. Aut rerum eos sit est veritatis occaecati et. Quae rerum voluptas ea eius doloremque consectetur vel. Enim quidem totam optio sequi. Commodi velit ad culpa laudantium.

Consequatur perferendis ducimus sit aut debitis. Saepe recusandae eos suscipit sint. Ipsa excepturi voluptatem assumenda harum minima vel placeat ex.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”